Banner Ad 1

Gassing problem Please help!! - And it's not about eating too many beans

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 84-1046442519 » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:35 pm

Hi guy's
The big day is here and I was about to test the sub with gas ballast system installed. I transfered the gas as usual,with the can inverted. Using a large can of Paasche air brush propellant(425g),with a quarter of the can left, I filled the pressure vessel on board the boat but something didn't work as it should. All the remaining gas in the can was used up very quickly in the transfer. No leaks and all seemed to be going well. Then the pressure vessel in the boat froze up and when I checked to see how much gas was in the vessel,there was only the smallest amount of gas in it. Not even enough to fill a cigarette lighter.With the size of the pressure vessel,I would have thought it would been full to the top. So where did the gas go and why did the pressure vessel freez up with no escaping gas? Ambiant temperature is about 26.C.
regards Keith West Australia
Check out the photo's on this linkBallast system

Edited By TypeVIIC on 1048392489
84-1046442519

Postby dietzer » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:38 am

TypeVIIC wrote:Hi guy's
The big day is here and I was about to test the sub with gas ballast system installed. I transfered the gas as usual,with the can inverted. Using a large can of Paasche air brush propellant(425g),with a quarter of the can left, I filled the pressure vessel on board the boat but something didn't work as it should. All the remaining gas in the can was used up very quickly in the transfer. No leaks and all seemed to be going well. Then the pressure vessel in the boat froze up and when I checked to see how much gas was in the vessel,there was only the smallest amount of gas in it. Not even enough to fill a cigarette lighter.With the size of the pressure vessel,I would have thought it would been full to the top. So where did the gas go and why did the pressure vessel freez up with no escaping gas? Ambiant temperature is about 26.C.
regards Keith West Australia

Keith,

I'm afraid you do have a leak. The pressure vessel should only freeze up if there were a sudden large transfer of gas out of the vessel. This sort of thing can happen in CO2 systems, too.

Since it seemed to hold gas for a little while before it froze up, you might have lost a seal somewhere, or perhaps your blow valve is not completely closing.

Hope this helps,

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby Britt Boyette » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:11 am

Did you have your radio turned on? You are going to have to test it out with a new can of propel, that's the only way.
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby 84-1046442519 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:20 am

Hi guy's
Thanks for your replies. I did have a leak. There was something fouling the seat on the blow valve but this was only a minor leak which does explain the vessel freezing up but it does not explain why I lost a quarter of a can of propel in about 2-3 seconds. Any how, I have tested it again and all is well.
Keith
84-1046442519

Return to General