Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta 2004 - Time is getting close!!!

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby wlambing » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:09 pm

Only 36 days until SR04!!
What would you rather be doing; mowing the lawn, painting the house, fighting swarms of angry Killer Bees, or, getting the models wet and having a good time with interesting and fun characters? Seems like a no-brainer to me!!

Take care,
Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:59 pm

Bill,

Can't wait. Now the only question is can I finish my new boat in time to get it in the water. Hope we have a good crowd
and some new boats to look at among the group that is coming. Based on bookings at the Comfort Suites hopefully thats a good sign that will have a good showing.

See you there,

Ron
Ron

Postby wlambing » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:09 pm

Ron,

I'm hoping so, too. My little boat is running, and the big ones are in the building process. A little vacation time, a pond, fun people, what more is there?? :D

See you on the beach,

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby 98-1071702866 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:42 pm

Bill, I brain farted junes meeting date, thought it was on sunday. Imagine my surprise when I was the only one there. DUH!!! I have the hats I told you about for the raffle in my car. I hope the guys don't mind me bringing them in on Saturday. I've put up posters around some of the gathering places around the base in groton and have gotten a few to the shipyard. I've also managed to get the Dolphin to print the regatta poster in this weeks paper.I can get them to reprint it again maybe with a message of some sort a week or two before the regatta. Any suggestions as to what the message should contain? Maybe this will help bring in a couple more people. I'm still trying to get word out to the individual commands at the base looking for raffle items, again if successful i'm sorry for bringing them on the first day of the regatta.
See you there.
BSF
98-1071702866

Postby zeemaster77 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:53 pm

HI BILL, CANT WAIT FOR THE REGATTA, I NEVER TAKE VACATION BUT IT IS THE ONE THING I LOOK FORWARD TO EVERY YEAR ! BUY THE WAY IM THE GUY WITH THE SHAVED HEAD WHO BOUGHT THE THOR STURGEON FROM BOB. IVE STARTED IT, SO BE PREPARED TO ANSWER ALOT OF QUESTIONS ! I SHOULD'NT OF SAID THAT NOW YOU MIGHT NOT SHOW UP !

SEE YOU SOON,

ED AND MARIA :D
zeemaster77

Postby Skip Asay » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:57 pm

For at least 10 of the past 13 SubRegattas, Al Matava (Ships 'N Things) and I have had a Friday night "Meet and Greet" (Bubbleheads Anonymous meeting?) at a local motel. You know, a lot of BS'ing, Merriman bashing, shop talk, etc. Oh yeah, snacks and sodas, too (no alchohol). Well, guess what? We're doing it again. Friday, July 23 at the Comfort Suites, 1010 Douglas Pike, Smithfield, RI. from around 7PM to 10PM. This is only a few minutes from the SubRegatta site. If you're not staying at that motel, just walk in the front door and turn right.

And for all you guys who have gotten used to the fact that I'm always late, I'll be there Thursday night. I still have that "Skip crosses threshold at" pool card hanging in my shop. :D

Skip Asay
SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby wlambing » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:11 pm

Ed,
Always glad to see you and Maria! Also always glad to talk shop and use up stored memory!

See you there, safe trip,

Bill
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:12 pm

Only 7 days until the fun starts!! :D
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:58 am

Gentleman:

I boxed up a 1:72 scale USS Skipjack SSN-585 hull kit for the SR-04 raffle table as well as 40 of my 36 page submarine catalogs and some regatta sale flyers, for my trip to Boston in the morning and thus to Providence in time for the get together Friday evening, butt.....................

On Tuesday morning I was bitten by a spider on my left knee, at first it didn't bother me much, 4 weeks ago I was bitten 8 times by a poisoneous spider in the groin area and this laid me up on the most part for 2+ weeks and I have not quite gotten over that. anyways....

This morning my knee was hurting quite a bit and by noon it was really starting to look bad, so I took the precautionary move to Express Mail this package to Bill Hodgkins on the way top my Doctors Office, well, she took one look at it and said that I was bitten by a Brown Recluse, which is probably one of if not the worst spider in the US to get nailed by.

I told the Doctor that I was flying to Boston in the Morning, and she said basically, that if I valued keeping my leg or at worst my life, I should forget about going anywhere and to be back in her office friday for another shot of anti-biotics, and if the swelling or pain got any worse to go straight to the ER.

So Guys and Gals

I will be thinking about all the fun your having while I am sitting here with an icepack on my knee and my sub on the table. :(

HAVE A GREAT TIME AT THE SUBREGATTA :D

One person is going to go home with a Great SkipJack hull kit.
But the subcatalogs will be $3.00

P.S.

Please if your ticket is pulled, take the kit if that is what you want to have, it is a bit insulting to see it for sale up on the Subswap board a week after the regatta, this makes vendors not quite as pleased with donating, we do this for the publicity and the good will towards the SC Regatta as well as putting our products in the hands of someone who is going to build it. otherwise why go through the cost and effort. ???

Gee, I sure did take...Sorry I can't make it there now........ and really streched that out. :p
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:52 am

Since I'm not able to get to the regatta this year :( , I wanted to say thanks right now to all the vendors like Lee Upshaw that stepped up to the plate and answered my letter by donating the great stuff on the raffle prize table again this year. Tony Galonio will be coordinating the drawing at the park and I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Remember, the money that comes in for ticket sales helps pay to make the SubRegatta happen rtent the tents the tables pay for postage etc. So don't be a tightwad - open up the wallet - and BUY RAFFLE TICKETS!

:laugh:

NOT A BAD RETURN FOR A $1 INVESTMENT!

Edited By TMSmalley on 1090580485
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:49 am

Hey Lee,

Make sure you follow the doctor's orders, the brown recluse is a very bad spider.

Thanks for the donations to the regatta.

John
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby MB1754 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:58 pm

I'm not going to make it this year. Something came up at the last minute prevent me from seeing you guys this weekend. What really got my goat is my "Dumas" Akula is operational[B] and ready to run. Did water trials at Boss 's Pool last month. Missing the annual regatta was going to happen sooner or later. Is SubRon4 going to run their boats the following weekend? Good chance i'll be in the area then.

Mike Boyd #1754
MB1754

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:25 am

Well folks I was glad to be able to donate.

Yesterday I thought that the spider bite on my leg was not getting any worse and really felt bad about not going to the subregatta, well , it got a lot worse.

Yep the Brown Recluse is not a spider to be trivial about, it is by far the worst spider in North America to get bitten by, so while I sit here with an icepack on my knee again and look through the photos of the SR-04 you can bet that I am doing what the Doctor has ordered and I will be back with my Doctor first thing Monday morning.
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas