Banner Ad 1

Sun 'N Fun 2004 - 2nd Annual SubRon5 fun run

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:20 am

Sun 'N Fun 2004 is the second annual gathering of sharks hosted by SubRon5. A competition-free event, the run is open to SubRon5 members and all other interested bubbleheads.

When: August 28 - 29, 2004

Where: San Gabriel Park (1003 N. Austin Ave., Georgetown, Texas 78626). Home base will be arbor A.

San Gabriel Park is located in the city of Georgetown, Texas north of Austin, the state capital. The waters of the spring-fed San Gabriel River will be the running site which is lined with 200 year old oak trees.

Arbors will provide shade and plenty of tables with power access to prepare your boat. It's also a great place to swap tales and trade secrets. You are encouraged to bring your boats, running or not. We'd love to see your current project! A navigation course will be established for those interested in testing their skills.

So, make plans to experience some SubRon5 fun in the sun and southern hospitality - Texas style!

Edited By PaulC on 1086130090
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:53 am

To the vendors and "drivers" out there.
Our Sub Ron is a fledgling thing. But, I think this location is a great "sleeper".Hopefully to get larger every year. The water is great. Depth is about eight feet with a flat bottom and no growing green stuff to hang a lost boat. There is enough Pavillion space to be a national event,if the whole subcommittee came.
I will be ready and standing by as diver to recover any lost boats also.
If there are some vendors out there, and submariners,who would like to come spend a relaxed couple of days in Texas,we would love to see some turnout. I think once you spend a weekend here,you will want to add it to your list of things to do every year.
I would sure like to see posts of people coming.
Yall are all welcome to come on down for a little fun:)
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby ray schwartz » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:13 pm

if i can get them to let me change my vacation ,i will drive up from southern louisiana ..
i will bring my robbe u-47 (u-552) it's not finished yet but maybe this will help me get it finished up .

ray
ray schwartz
sc #2317
Louisiana
ray schwartz

Postby PaulC » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:11 pm

That's great, Ray. We'd love to have you. And there's nothing like a deadline to spur model building.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun May 30, 2004 5:19 pm

For those who are curious about water clarity at this particular site, here is another shot taken this weekend on the San Gabriel:

Visibility was approx 6 ft. Using a dive mask, Wayne could see the bottom clearly from just a foot below the surface. The bottom is flat across the river, average depth 8 - 10 ft. There is no aquatic vegetation to foul props. There are plenty of fish and the occasional convoy of ducks.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Sun May 30, 2004 6:03 pm

Wow! That water looks great. I will be there for sure with SSN 754 TOPEKA in 1/96 scale and maybe PLUNGER in 1/96th if she is far enough along. If anyone would like me to bring anything please let me know ahead of time. Last year was an absolute blast! It looks like this year is lining up to be even better. I look forward to seeing you all there!

:D
ThorDesign

Postby Albert » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:19 pm

Hi Paul:

Looking forward to returning in August to the SubRon5 second
annual meet. My Trafalgar and Arleigh Burk Destroyer are running and I will bring them. Also will bring my 1/96 Sumner
Class Destroyer.
A note for Matt in that you said if anyone wanted him to bring
anything - just let him know. If you have the conning tower with the scopes available for the Type XXI - would you bring
one for me. Thanks.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Albert
SCM 1976 :D
Albert

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:55 pm

Hey Albert,

Great to hear from you! We were counting on your fleet to join us. It sounds like you have your Trafalgar's electronics twitching problems solved. It should be a great weekend.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:19 pm

A note to all who plan to attend:

Holiday Inn Express in Georgetown has a current internet room rate of $67.15 for a non-smoking king, continental breakfast included. It is close to the park and local shopping and 3 restaurants are within walking distance.

So far the Croziers, Jeff Porteous and the Phillips are staying there -- but not in the same room!

Reservations can be made at http://www.hiexpress.com.

A word to the wise: non smoking rooms got scarce in Georgetown by the end of July last year.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:49 am

Hey, we are also staying there whatta ya know? Looking foward to meeting you all as well. My 1/96 Skipjack has been handed over from the yard and were ready for sea trials.

To Matt: If you have a set of those photo-etched MBT vents as seen in Paul's great article that would be appropriate for my boat could you bring same? Thanks.

Tom
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:26 am

Hey Tom,

That's great. I look forward to seeing you and you boat. Let us know how the trials go as soon as you get her in the water.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:36 am

Tom,

I will forward you a set for your boat as soon as I get home from this trip next week.

Albert,

It will be great to see you again. Since I have been spending so much time out of time working for the USAF that the conning tower is not molded up yet. It is complete, though. If I have time I will endevour to mold her up, but I would not hold my breath!

I look forward to seeing you all, again. This time, I will have my own boat ready. She is finally almost done after over 5 years of sporadic work on her-SSN 754 TOPEKA. I should have her tank tested in July sometime and painted right after.

Matt
ThorDesign

Postby ray schwartz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:05 pm

well they finally oked my vacation, so it looks like i will drive in friday late,, any place to meet for breakfeast ?
dont know if my boat will be running ,but i will bring it anyways
ray schwartz
sc #2317
Louisiana
ray schwartz

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:09 pm

Ray,
I will go up there in the next couple of weeks and do some scouting. I will turn up a closeby breakfast spot.
I am going to Rhode Island to check the big gig out. I want to see how that spot compares to what we have found. So far,last year's meet is all I have been to as far as seeing real live R/C submarines.
I still think we have stumbled into an awsome subron spot. Really looking forward to seeing everybody. My Alfa will not be ready,but it is getting real close.
I will be the diver-picture taker again. No boats left on the bottom :)
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby ray schwartz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:29 pm

sounds good ,
im a ex- hard hat diver in my younger days :)
ray schwartz
sc #2317
Louisiana
ray schwartz

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas