Banner Ad 1

Bowwave video - Version 2.0

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue May 11, 2004 12:35 pm

Paul,

My Nautilus is completely stock exept for:

-slightly oversized rudder (you can't really tell unless you were to hold up a stock one to my oversized one.)

-additional rear dive planes set aft of the propellor. Very necessary for fun operation of the boat. The stock planes work, but just barely. With the new planes, I have complete and accurate control over the model's pitch, and my APC works perfectly.

Andy, I'll try to get some more shots of the Nautilus underway at full throttle. Might need to wait a bit, though, as I seem to have stretched my wife's patience with several long runs at the lake in quick succession to each other. :p

OH! I almost forgot. I just finished adding a new battery. The original 12V, 7Ah battery worked well, but I wanted longer run time. I replaced it with a huge honkin' 12V 12Ah. It just barely fits in the bow. A sheet of styrofoam added above gives even more static stability and it actually trimmed out perfectly the first time on my guess! How's that for luck?

Runtime is now in excess of 4 hours with plenty of full throttle runs.

Edited By Bob the Builder on 1084293455
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue May 11, 2004 12:56 pm

Great video.
Especially liked the Salon window lights as it went by.
Wonder what it would look like in the evening time, with some under water light splashed on it.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Tue May 11, 2004 10:29 pm

As of now, my Nautilus has diving planes on the so called: "center of floatation" There might be a problem with this method since modern subs have their planes at the bow, I can't seem to remember what.... :O If I have trouble diving the sub at the lake with this configuration, I might have to install rear diving planes (panning to do so anyways).
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Carcharadon » Wed May 12, 2004 9:33 am

I took the 7 ft. Nautilus out for a run to see if it would be a better candidate for the bowwave effect. I know I can get more speed from the 7 ft. with bigger pumps/or additional pumps. But I'm just not sure if there's a difference.

Edited By Carcharadon on 1085834916
Carcharadon

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Thu May 13, 2004 9:37 pm

Nice video Tom, from my point of view I can see the difference between the water cannon effect and this one, maybe if you've installed the canon at the side of the wheelhouse instead of the front it would give it a better effect at waterline.

Bob, seems like you've got really responsive diving planes, or did you fill the ballast tank while running the sub at the same time? Anyways, I liked the light effect too, do you have lights installed in the wheelhouse too? If so, you should try running the sub at night.

:)

Captain Nemo12

Postby Carcharadon » Fri May 14, 2004 8:23 am

I only have a water cannon for the 4ft. sub. The pictures I sent you show the nozzles pointed more towards the wheelhouse viewports as Pat and others have suggested. I've not had a chance to take the 4ft. sub out for a real test. I'm currently making some modifications to the 7 ft. and debating whether to make it go faster or not. I would have to make a completely new water cannon for the 7 ft. since the down jets on the 7 ft. are different from the 4ft. But I think the 7 ft. sub with its greater mass is more stable under power than the 4ft. and thus probably a better platform for the water cannon.

I think this thread is getting too long, probably need to start a new thread.

Tom
Carcharadon

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri May 14, 2004 12:36 pm

Captain Nemo12 wrote: Bob, seems like you've got really responsive diving planes, or did you fill the ballast tank while running the sub at the same time? Anyways, I liked the light effect too, do you have lights installed in the wheelhouse too? If so, you should try running the sub at night.

Nemo12,

I vented my tank. Complete venting takes around seven seconds or so. If my tanks are dry, I give her full throttle, and use my new aft planes, I can drive her under with some difficulty. With her tanks full, she's negatively ballasted, and can settle gently to the bottom.

I usually run her with her just slightly positive. I find that my propel tank actually causes her to sit just positive of neutral when my tank is nearly empty.

When she's neutral, she's a dream to handle, very responsive and docile to command.

I have lights around the salon portal, in the 'alligator eyes' and in the wheelhouse. I've got plans for a 'midnight run' to shoot some photos at dusk/night.

I've got a huge lot of LED lights on the way. I'll be replacing all of my grain-of-wheat bulbs with yellow LED's, except the wheelhouse, which I think I'll make either green or red (any thoughts?).
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri May 14, 2004 12:52 pm

I persoanlly favour white LED's throughout. I think the cool blueish-white light matches the film shots perfectly.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri May 14, 2004 7:43 pm

The green lights should be a good idea, it's unfortunate how you can't mix green light with a little touch of yellow, it will look pretty neat. Green, my opinion.

Captain Nemo12

Postby Carcharadon » Sat May 15, 2004 9:59 am

opps see below

Edited By Carcharadon on 1084629740
Carcharadon

Postby Carcharadon » Sat May 15, 2004 10:00 am

[Meanwhile, here's a look at the sub mostly submerged. Wasn't traveling full speed, but gives some idea of the wave around the wheel house as she submerges.

Hope this URL works!

Pat, as you commented before it looks a lot like a video capture from the 7 ft. video.

Well I did it, added more forward thrust to the 7ft and could probably make a comparison video to see if the increase in speed is noticeable??

Edited By Carcharadon on 1085834763
Carcharadon

Previous

Return to Television and Movie Submarines