Banner Ad 1

Bowwave video - Version 2.0

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Carcharadon » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:36 pm

Water cannon version 2.0 worked better than version 1. The video will give you an idea but it's far from perfect. Again no help so the video is the best I could do at the moment. Some observations, I can't use full speed because the sub wants to dive. The bowwave splitter I made does not work at all. With the water cannon running the sub is difficult to steer it wants to go either right or left. I could probably compensate for that if I had another hand. I think I can improve on this by putting the water cannons in a vee configuration and directing more water to the center. I think though that even if I get the water cannon to work right I'll still need to pull the sub to get the velocity needed for the effect.

Edited By Carcharadon on 1085834677
Carcharadon

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:19 pm

Wonderful! Wonderful! i really want to try that system on my sub, could you send me some pictures of the water-canons and the back of your sub? I never actually got to see the jet system you installed. Thanks! :D
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri May 07, 2004 3:32 pm

I just got this video clip of my Nautilus at the lake last Saturday. Not really a bow wave, but pretty decent shots of the wake that she leaves when just under the surface.

I apologize for the shaky film, but I was trying to pilot the sub and take the video at the same time. Better footage will follow, I promise.

Nautilus Underwater Run (May 1, 2004) 8.75Mb

Edited By Bob the Builder on 1083958446
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri May 07, 2004 6:00 pm

Bob,

That isn't full tilt, is it?!

Looks like those levellers are doing their job well.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo » Sat May 08, 2004 6:43 am

Nice video, Bob. Usually we see the same thing: the sub on the surface, diving, gone! Your "aerial shot" from above with the shadows eliminating the surface glare gives a nice view of the boat underwater. An interesting study of the wake effect, too.

I've got some footage of the NAUTILUS MINISUB that might help with this "let's see the bow wave" thread if I can find it and get it posted.

Meanwhile, here's a look at the sub mostly submerged. Wasn't traveling full speed, but gives some idea of the wave around the wheel house as she submerges.

Hope this URL works!

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group.....view=t

Believe it or not, I believe if you highlite all that, click it into your browser's ADDRESS window, and click GO it will take you there.

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Captain Nemo » Sat May 08, 2004 6:48 am

Nope, that didn't work either. Well, go to Captain Nemo's homepage here at the SUBVOMMITTEE and you can see a similar picture there.

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Captain Nemo » Sat May 08, 2004 6:50 am

OOPS! :D

That was a typo, I swear by my tattoo!

I meant to hit a C, but hit the V right next to it. Heh!

Pat
Captain Nemo

Postby Carcharadon » Sat May 08, 2004 4:50 pm

The first part of the video is taken from a vantage point looking down over the sub. This shows what I call ramming posture. As Pat mentions the multiple standing waves associated with the sub are cool to watch. The water cannon is not used in this portion of the video. The next vantage point is from the waterline using the water cannon on the sub. This is version 3.0 of the water cannon, which I think is the best effort to date, just my opinion. Also for Pat there is no diving.

Edited By Carcharadon on 1085834708
Carcharadon

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun May 09, 2004 2:50 am

I think this is all very cool. It's neat to look at our versions of the NAUTILUS underway and recall the movie. I am continually impressed by the similarities all versions and different scale replicas have in the water. One seems to behave pretty much like the others; the bow wave, wake, etc. Interesting....

Tom, might I make a suggestion? It looks to me like you've got the water cannon nozzles angled back but also up and outboard so they spout a plume of their own up and away from the front of the boat. Looking at Disney's 22-footer, I'm thinking the intent was to direct the flow at a lower angle, back over the leading edge of the foredeck, and pretty much at the wheelhouse right between the forward viewports (dome windows); so that when the boat is awash it amplifies the normal bow wave without breaking the surface with a rooster tail of it's own. Kind of hard to explain. Do you know what I mean? Whatayathink?

And yes, even Simon Cowell would have to admit: your best effort yet. It's hard to drive and film at the same time, whether you're in the boat or on shore with a controller. We always had to rely on the help of bystanders when we were shooting tests of the MINISUB. Maybe you could find somebody in the area to work the camera for you while you drive?

I'm wondering about the exposure; seems really light. Is there a setting on your camera to control this; maybe darken it up a bit?

VBR,

Pat
Captain Nemo

Postby Carcharadon » Sun May 09, 2004 5:12 am

Pat, I know exactly what you're talking about. There are a few problems that I've come across in my attempts to re-create that great opening scene. I can test my water cannon in my test tank but when I take it out to the field it doesn't work at all the way it did in my test tank. The movement of the sub is critical and affects the way it looks and also the depth of the nozzles is critical too. Too high and you get a rooster tail effect, too low you just get bubbling water. There is only about a half-inch margin to work with. So I have to make my best guess as to how it will actually work in the field. Since I don't have any tools with me at the field I can't make any real-time adjustments. I was first trying to exaggerate the effect but I agree with you that I could direct the flow more towards the wheelhouse viewports. Next time I'll give that a try. The best time to video is on a calm cloudy day. There is just too much glare and sunshine for the camera to cope with. Sometimes I get help, sometimes not.
Carcharadon

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sun May 09, 2004 11:51 am

I agree too, perharps you should use a tripod? I have a remote connecting to my camera, filming with a tripod should be no problem. We will see how the shark will operate once I film it.
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Carcharadon » Sun May 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Now that I have a water cannon that is easier to modifying, it’s not a big effort to make changes. I've already made the changes that Pat suggests and have tested it in my test tank. Seems to work OK in the test tank but as I said, out in the water that's another story altogether.

The tripod is a good suggestion and works great when I have someone to help. But when running both the camera and the sub controls the tripod is more of a hindrance.

I'm sure having a blast messing with this. So I don't mind putting up with various little annoyances. In fact if I get this done where it looks halfway decent, then I'll have to start thinking about those green lights and a run at dusk. That would be interesting!
Carcharadon

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon May 10, 2004 2:16 pm

Sub culture wrote:Bob,

Andy,

You're right there. The original video was taken at something like 1/3 throttle, as is the video that I just finished uploading.

Full throttle will give me somewhere between four and five miles per hour of speed, very good for something this big and non-hydrodynamic.

These new shots are taken from the Nautilus at rest and then passing the camera while initiating a dive. Again, she's not at full throttle, as it was all I could do to steer the sub, initiate a dive, maintain trim, AND shoot the video. Sorry about the shakes.

I like this video a lot.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon May 10, 2004 4:22 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:
Sub culture wrote:Bob,

Andy,

You're right there. The original video was taken at something like 1/3 throttle, as is the video that I just finished uploading.

Full throttle will give me somewhere between four and five miles per hour of speed, very good for something this big and non-hydrodynamic.

These new shots are taken from the Nautilus at rest and then passing the camera while initiating a dive. Again, she's not at full throttle, as it was all I could do to steer the sub, initiate a dive, maintain trim, AND shoot the video. Sorry about the shakes.

I like this video a lot.

:cool:

How about setting the camera at wide angle on a tripod, and taking a couple of shots at full tilt.

I'd like to seem how she performs.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon May 10, 2004 10:17 pm

Bob,

That's really great video. And a truly beautiful operating environment.

She seems to have a really responsive rudder. It is the stock configuration isn't it?

Paul
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Television and Movie Submarines