Banner Ad 1

seaview color?

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby 98-1071702866 » Thu May 06, 2004 12:39 am

I have a polar lights version of the sea view(yeah I know it's not that great of a kit but I can fix the errors) anyway the kit says to paint the hull blue. What shade of blue or is this just another of polar lights inaccuracies? Alot of models are molded in a color that is close to what the subject is supposed to be, this one is dark blue.
Any pictures of the seaview I have seen appear to be either gray, a variant of gray or maybe a light blue. Thanks in advance
BSF
98-1071702866

Postby Rick Teskey » Thu May 06, 2004 11:11 am

The color of the Seaview is a medium too light grey with a flatish white even a little off white .
The effect minitures were painted so many times that thewre is no one true shade of grey.
After the first season refit too the flying sub version shading was added around the new sonar blisters and decking.
A good quality automotive primer grey is your best shot , easy too sand and match for touch ups later as well.
The box art looks like a meduim too robins egg blue which is wrong.
Some underwater shots show her as bluish but this is an optical illusion brought on by the water and the sky reflecting the blue end of the color spectrum not too mention any photographic filters that my have been employed in production.
I hope this helps.
On a side note on the inherant inaccurices of the kit , the stern dive planes should come of the punp jet housings at 90 degrees and not canted down as the kit represents.
I have not built this model science I was 7 or 8 yers old but try putting the left pj on the right side and viceaversa on the other , this might put them in the correct orientation.
As far as the windows go cut a new frame from thin stock styreene and cut out the windows then back with a clear piece , the painted glass they give you never looks good but this is my opinion.
There are many things wrong with the hull including the contour of the bow but what kid would know this , it is only the most anaul middle aged Seaview junkie would or care .
Best of luck and if you have any other questions do not hesitata too ask
Rick Teskey :D
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rick Teskey » Thu May 06, 2004 11:15 am

:p
Sorry I mentioned the white color , that is for the bottom side of the sail planes and from the bilge keels down all around the perimiter.
Rick
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby 98-1071702866 » Thu May 06, 2004 10:09 pm

Rick, thanks for the responce.You were a big help on the color scheme. when you mentioned the white I remembered seeing that some where, I would have missed that little detail. I tried dry fitting the pump jet housings on the opposite sides of where they are supposed to go and i didn't care for the way it looked. I think I will cut the stern planes off the pump jets with my scroll saw, assemble and install the pump jets then relocate the stern planes at 90 degrees. This brings up another possible problem, the stern planes tie into a fairing that runs the entire length of the boat. Trying to fair in the stern planes on such a small model (13" total length) with out moving the entire strip all the way to the bow would also look bad, or would it. about the contour of the bow, is it too low or too high? It being the way the fairing that sticks out.
Your comment on the windows: The model I have is copy writed 2002, The windows at least up forward are molded clear plastic as well as the conning tower observation windows, The windows that appear to be on the sides are molded into the hull. I will open those up and glue clear acrylic inside before closing up the hull.
When this is done I have a Monogram 1/60 flying sub to put together. This one is copy writed 1995.
Other projects on the sci-fi side of the house include the sub Seaquest and the Stinger from the same show.I found all but the Seaquest by chance at a hobby shop I went into on a whim. On the non sci-fi side I have the lion fish by Monogram, The Ohio, 688 from Dragon, A type XXI (don't remeber who put the kit out) and a solid resin Ohio put out by the company I work for, Electric Boat. And finally I have the new Revell type VIIc. All waiting for me to get off the long hours I've been working. With any luck I'll have the 1/50 scale Gato R/C kit by Engel for my birthday in a couple of weeks.
Hope to see you at the regatta
Thanks again
BSF
98-1071702866

Return to Television and Movie Submarines