Banner Ad 1

R/C sub books for a newbee.

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby 87-1046108477 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:49 pm

Hello again folks! Of all the books on this most excellent hobby, which ones would you recommend for the begginer? Yes, I am going to get the video from D&E. I have been seeing the book "Scale Model Submarine Technology"
By Norbert Bruggen offered on eBay quite often. I had alreday asked someone about it and I think the answer was "only if you are already an electrical engineer." So waht are the books to get for beginner then intermediate?

And for those of you I have already asked, please forgive for asking twice.
87-1046108477

Postby Bigdave » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:25 pm

I would get Norberts book. Also get the tape from Ray Mason on building an Ohio class sub by Dave Merriman. It is very good. You will find Ray in the vendors list. There is another book put out by Traplet in England that is not bad.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby 76-1046038530 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:46 pm

Hi,

Nobert Bruggens book is very good if you know something about RC submarines. There is a french book called "tout sur le sous-marin modele reduit" , RIGEL EDITIONS ISBN 2-909537-09-9. It's also very good for begginers. But it is in french. I ordered it 6 years ago.

Regards,

Luis
Spain
76-1046038530

Postby Pat Davis » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:26 pm

You should really search the web, most anything is explaned in terms of tehnology for free.

The only books I bought were used for detail referance. I'm also working on my first sub, and found all my questions answered here... or on someones webpage.

Pat Davis
So let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
Pat Davis

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:48 pm

I have Norbert Bruggen's Model Submarine Technology published by Traplet in my library but I disagree that it is the best FIRST/only book for a beginner.

Norbert Bruggen's book is fine for the electronics maven or a VERY experienced radio control modeller. However, I fear this book has scared more potential RC subbers away - picking it up cold on the shelf at the local hobby shelf than it has encouraged to start in RC submarines.

Not many raw recruits are going to build their own liquid sensor leveling device. How about electronic speed control or piston ballast tank? Nah...

This is all interesting stuff for the sub guy who has been around for awhile, but if as a new person who knew little about RC - If I picked this up in the local hobby shop - I'd set it down and opt for RC surface boats.

Get Norb's book if you want, but the OTHER Traplet Submarine book, Simply Submarines is the best for a beginner. Contact www.traplet.com

I suspect that is why Traplet published "Simply Subs", they knew - that as good as Norbert's information is - it was way too complicated for a beginning subber.

Again - Norbert's book is interesting for the RC subber to have in their library, but is isn't THE only book or the best first book a beginner should get.

Best yet is join the SubCommittee ~ the SubCommittee Report magazine you receive as part of your membership - is more helpful to the beginner or the experienced sub modeller than either of these publications!

Edited By TMSmalley on 1048884647
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby 66-1045874689 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:40 pm

Norbert's book is excellent but, as others have said, it can be daunting. Also, beware : the English translation has a number of errors, mainly numerical, so double-check everything (or maybe read it in German?)

I, too, recommend 'Simply Submarines'-- although the SC Report is full of great articles, and these message boards are also invaluable, the advantage of a book is that you can get a 1st-level treatment of the whole topic, before diving in.

(I've been wondering if there would be a market for a document of corrections to the English version of Norbert's book...)

Brian
66-1045874689

Return to R/C Modeler