Banner Ad 1

The last of the 66" movie Nautilus packages

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby modelmaker » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:05 am

Dear group,

We've reached "near burn out" on the original 66" Custom Replicas Nautilus molds.

If anyone had contemplated ever getting one of these ( R/C hull conversion or static build-up ) now is the time to contact us.

I'll go over the particulars at: replicas@pacbell.net

Thank you.

Jim Key - Custom Replicas :cool:
modelmaker

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:27 pm

To anyone interested,

This is an exceptional kit, and it's been one of my favorites for years. I first saw Dave Simkin's original model on His Website and I immediately fell in love.

It's what prompted me to build my own model in the same scale (details at RC Sub.com).

I'm sorry to see that it's coming close to the end of the run. Hopefully Jim will re-mold the model so that it will be available to more fans in the future.

Nautilus models are notoriously hard to find, and impossible in this scale. If I'd have had the money back when I started this project, I'd have one myself... guaranteed.

Bob Martin
The Nautilus Drydocks

Edited By Bob the Builder on 1080837045
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm

Have you thought about selling drawings with all your corrections and nifty rivet detail.
???

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelmaker » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:38 pm

Scott,

I have and have not had the time. I'm surprised that Will and Allsmiller haven't done so by now.

I may in the future, but would feel safer with relasing a portfolio of how our 66" came into being as a photo CD, including beauty shots of the finished original prototype.

And, Bob, thank you so very much for your kind words of praise about our 66" Nautilus.

Jim Key
modelmaker

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:43 pm

Jim,

Your workmanship really speaks for itself.

Re: the plans and drawings: I've heard many fans of the Nautilus complain that comprehensive info about the submarine is hard to come by, and that those who have it guard it jealously, doling it out in tasty little tidbits to those who beg hard enough.

I'd have to agree, to a point. I went through the whole process while researching my sub. Looking for good Nautilus info is like hunting the Great White Rhino. You know it's out there... somewhere, but finding it is the hard part.

All the real good stuff that I have I've promised not to release without my source's permission. I'm a guy of my word, or else I'd make it all public info through my website.

What I can let go is free for the taking from anyone who asks...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Work Man » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:34 am

:( This is sad. I have always admired this model, just trying to figure a way to afford it. Kinda
like my youth, save my dimes to buy a 409. I wonder how many kits do you feel you can still
produce, and the the time frame?
Work Man

Postby modelmaker » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:29 am

Workman,

Forgive me, I don't know your name, though I'm sure we've met. I see you on the board all the time.

Contact me at: replicas@pacbell.net and I can discuss options to help you realize your desires...

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Key :cool:
modelmaker

Postby Novagator » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:11 pm

modelmaker wrote:Dear group,

We've reached "near burn out" on the original 66" Custom Replicas Nautilus molds.

If anyone had contemplated ever getting one of these ( R/C hull conversion or static build-up ) now is the time to contact us.

I'll go over the particulars at: replicas@pacbell.net

Thank you.

Jim Key - Custom Replicas :cool:

How much for one of the kits?
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:49 pm

Yeah........ I've loved that model as well. In fact, if I can remember, it's one of the first Nautilus models I have ever seen after I read 20000 Leagues. Great job!
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Return to Television and Movie Submarines