Banner Ad 1

Down Periscope Subs

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Seawolf » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:38 am

There was a scene in subs comedy, Down Periscope where a Los Angeles (improved) are trying to find the old diesel that sitting on the bottom of sea floor.

what media do u think it was used ? 2 R/C boats or computer graphics.. ?
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:57 pm

Seawolf wrote:There was a scene in subs comedy, Down Periscope where a Los Angeles (improved) are trying to find the old diesel that sitting on the bottom of sea floor.

what media do u think it was used ? 2 R/C boats or computer graphics.. ?

VIFX did the computer graphics for "Down Periscope". They weren't that hot, but all underwater and some surface shots were done on computer.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby Seawolf » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:24 pm

no R/C or model boat involved then ? ???
Seawolf

Postby Casey Thrower » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:25 pm

Seawolf wrote:no R/C or model boat involved then ? ???

Nope. Models are going by the wayside. Cheaper to do CFX these days.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby Seawolf » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:36 am

hmm, ??? , Casey what do u personally think about CFX, to modelling ? which will be more accurate ?

I mean, imho, I still prefer model for some scene :;):
Seawolf

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:16 am

Interesting discussion!

Is it really true that models are more expensive than computer graphics or is it that CG is giving more flexibility in how the 'model' is used?

What prompted this question is that I was watching the 'extras' disc for Star Wars II and noticed that all of the CG characters were based on full 3D models. So the models were built in any case!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:16 am

JWLaRue wrote:Interesting discussion!

Is it really true that models are more expensive than computer graphics or is it that CG is giving more flexibility in how the 'model' is used?

What prompted this question is that I was watching the 'extras' disc for Star Wars II and noticed that all of the CG characters were based on full 3D models. So the models were built in any case!

-Jeff

:D imho, the model is needed as base, to have a more accurate templates for 3D' CG.

but even CGFX will make a more dramatic and fabulous effect, I think sometimes, the CGFX is not 'real' and 'natural' enough - again - sometimes.

if someone has watch japanese animation called Blue Submarine No 6. the submarine there fully made form CGFX rendering are enourmous. :D
Seawolf

Postby 100-1046494892 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:48 am

For what it's worth, when I recently visited the USS Pampanito in San Francisco, one of the guides items of interest was that the Pampanito had been used as the shooting locale for the movie. Apparently some of the underway shots were made by towing it at speed in SF Bay. Some interior shooting was done as well. I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the statements ... next time I see the movie I want to check the sub against my photos. Small plug - of all the WWII subs I've visited, the Pampanito is the best organized exhibit. They give you a self guide recording and let you wander and linger to your hearts content. Everyone else hurries you through in "tour groups" you have to stay with for "insurance reasons".
100-1046494892

Return to Television and Movie Submarines