Banner Ad 1

Nautilus-Sword of the sea - Leaque of extraordinairy gentlemen

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby 68-1079511699 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:52 am

Is there anyone allready working on the "Leaque of extraordinairy gentlemen" version of the Nautilus? Would it be possible to modify a "normal" sub to "the sword of the sea"?

Best regards,

Danny
68-1079511699

Postby Lundberg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:42 am

Hi,

I don't know of any current model of this sub but the idea has struck me to build it from scratch some day. However I find the comic book version more interesting than the movie version, there are some pictures of the different versions availiable here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nautilusfans/

Take a look in "Photos" and "Other Nautilus versions".

I've seen a movie poster at some time when it looked like the LXG Nautilus was simply a modified German Type XXI U-boat but when you look at the movie this is not the case.

Does anybody have more to add to the subject?

/Bjorn
Lundberg

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:32 am

Yes Bjorn! I was waiting for someone to say this! :D Here are my opinions about the sub:

-I found the movie Nautilus a little bit on the big side, I liked the surface views and I think that the deck is maybe a little elevated.

-seems that the wheelhouse was replaced by a sort of conning tower and I don't think that there was a dinghy either.

-How many men did Nemo have? Because in the movie it seemed that he had a whole army!!

-The actor who played Captain Nemo was brilliant, it's kind of nice to see that they've kept the Indian nationality of the captain. It makes me think that the people who made the movie also read the Mysterious Island.
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby modelnut » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:48 pm

I also prefer the comic version to the movie version.

- Did anyone else notice that when the N traveled on the surface it looked like it was riding hydroplanes? When it was not in motion it rode low in the water. But at speed it came up on top of the waves!

I have kicked around the idea of building a 96th scale model of the comic version to go with my Disney replica. But it will be at least a year before I get started. To many projects at the mo!

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:21 pm

Watched the movie again today, I have something more to say abpout the movie N:

-I didn't really get to see the full sub underwater since the water was murky in the movie, seemed that the N travelled on cone-shaped "propellers" when the sub is not moving the props are retracted.

-It uses solar powered batteries(?) to travel underwater.

-I did not like the so called conning tower design, looked more like a giant valve! :D

-The N had 10 battle ready ballistic missiles, since that's what Nemo used to knock out the the building in Venice. Seems a bit awkward but cool in it's own way!

-And by the way, I LOVED the Nemomobile! :p
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Return to Television and Movie Submarines