Banner Ad 1

1/12 REMOTE MINEHUNTING VEHICLE BUILD

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/12 REMOTE MINEHUNTING VEHICLE BUILD

Postby dhffr » Tue May 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Starting a new build thread on the Lockheed Martin remote mine hunting vehicle. Layed up a polyester hull, built the prop and shroud and started casting the dive planes. This is going to be a simple dynamic diver using a small WTC and a direct drive 540. The actual boat uses a diesel only drive with that huge snorkel feeding it. Perfect subject for the pool and pond. Control will be by a mixed x tail arrangement. Front starboard plane will be linked to the aft starboard plane turning opposite directions. Turns will be tight and diving will be very sensitive. Most likely an elevon mix with the dive dialed way back on the radio. Only one being built.

D

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Re: 1/12 REMOTE MINEHUNTING VEHICLE BUILD

Postby dhffr » Wed May 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Got the appendages cast up and the initial keel built. Plan is to hollow the keel out and fill it with lead to offset the large snorkel. I have a piece of streamlined aluminum on its way and will construct its base then. Size of this boat is really cool. A 3" tube will fit if I can get the linkages flush to the hull. If not, I will go with 2.75". I plan to turn them out of gray PVC.

Started this project while I am waiting for parts to arrive on the Nacken. It is also a nice break from that monster.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Sun May 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Control surfaces are built. Center rods will somehow link up to the WTC in the aft section. You can see that the controls are split by side and rotate opposite each other.

Figured out what to use for the long snorkel.....Midsize RC helicopter blades. Perfect length, chord and very light.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Nice, unique build subject. I like it.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Sun May 25, 2014 1:25 am

Rennshape rails in for the hull join pins. Built the trolley catch in brass.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Fri May 30, 2014 11:13 am

Started to build the snorkel base. CF helicopter blade is the perfect fit and will keep the topsides as light as possible. Plan to do light detailing up top to simulate the real deal.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 pm

I really like the paint scheme on this one from the Navy commercials. Much easier to see for the target drivers at the lake.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Sat May 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Since the Nacken is on hold, I decided to get the hull to sea trial condition. Everything is blocked in and sanded to an acceptable level for testing. Blending the carbon helo blade to the base was a real treat and I would not wish that on anyone. Still more tuning on it. Caps for the detachable sonar are done. Most ballast lead will be inside it. Time to move on to the 2.75" endcaps and place an order to McMaster Carr.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Started building the WTC for this thing. The goal is to have a running boat by the San Francisco regatta in 5 weeks. Endcap is reversed on this one. Bow cap holds the rack and the stern is separate. I really wanted to have the linkages short and easy to access. Dumas dogbone is held in place by a bit of silicone so it mates up at the rear when the endcap is slid on. 55 turn integy direct should be plenty for the impeller. Wish I had more room for a reduction.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:06 pm

Got the WTC assembled and did a float test. As I was starting to suspect, The upper snorkel is too heavy and there is not enough reserve buoyancy to add weight in the keel. I am almost too heavy to even successfully run the boat. BUMMER......

Solution: I am going to make this the fictional MKII version that is electric only with no snorkel. It actually looks better without it and I have way too much time to scrap the build. Will probably do a stubby sail with a couple antennas coming out of it. Side note, the prop and appendages work great.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Got the paint all sorted out. Went with some light chipping to reduce the appearance of future scratches. I also fabbed up a temporary antenna bracket. Looks OK for now. We'll see If I ever do the long one again. I also like the contrasting color of the towed array.Time for sea trials.

DH

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:36 pm

Very cool and a nice build of an uncommon subject!
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Pool run today. All works fine but the turning circle is worse than the Nacken. Pitch control is fine.... ???? I'm setting this one aside for a "cooling off period"

Sitting on the bottom

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Return to Builder Threads