Banner Ad 1

Watch This Space

Local Chapter covering greater Los Angeles and all of Southern California.

Re: Watch This Space

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Well, well—and welcome aboard SubRonLA, liftmys10!

There's a ready-made Merriman/Caswell tube out there available for this boat, of course. And I happen to know that Bob Martin in Florida has a Big Dave RCABS system—currently in kit form—designed to fit the Revell Gato which you could acquire from him either as a kit or as a buildup, should you want to pay him to put it all together. Personally, Big Dave himself is constructing a custom RCABS system for my own Gato project (Harder) whenever I get a chance to finally build it...

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby liftmys10 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Thank you Jeff.
I wonder which will be easier to install?
I had a subtec USS Albacore which I built and sold awhile back. That took me almost 2 years to build. But that's as far as my building experience is.
liftmys10

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Then you definitely want a pre-built dive system. Caswell's are ready-made, available now (to my understanding) and very popular. Big Dave's are rock solid but built to order and may take a while if you're in a hurry. (WELL worth ANY wait, in my opinion.) Go with your gut. Another possibility: if you run into trouble with the installation yourself, by the time you need him Steve Neill (a VERY busy guy located in Ventura) might be available to install the system into your otherwise finished boat. He does truly excellent work (I know: he installed the Big Dave RCABS system in my own Teskey Seaview) but remember that you get what you pay for...if you want a true pro it'll rightfully cost you.

Good luck,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to SubRonLA