Banner Ad 1

1/144 scratch build Akula

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/144 scratch build Akula

Postby bwi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi All,

The work on the Akula is on hold some time now as other projects around the house and garden took my full attention. Also my appetite to build was not so great to be honest.
Never the less I browse the SC forum on a regular basis......tonight though I had a giant bug that kept popping up through the keyboard (She is also one of the new projects that takes a lot of attention)......

I know its of topic but I couldn't resist sharing this :D Sorry.

grtz,
Bart
Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
]"Samuel Smiles"
bwi
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 pm

So cute
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby bwi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi Gents,

As the appetite for the build slowly returns I'm mentally prepare myself to start scribing the hulls. The process past already several time trough my head....you know the stuff....witch tools I'm going to use, witch stencils I will make, witch floods and vents I will scribe witch ones I will open up, ....

But every time I get stuck when I'm thinking about the bow....how I'm going to project the torpedo doors to the spherical hull so the will end up as circle in a front view. I was thinking about making a mould of the bow in fiberglass and drill holes in it (will not be so strait forward) and use this as an stencil for the bow. But I'm not convinced this is the best way to go.

Yes I could use the try and error method an go for it but I would appreciate it if you guys share you experiences so I can skip the error phase :-).All suggestions are welcome!

Maybe we can list up all the experiences and place them under "Modeling Tips and Tricks"?

Thks and Grtz,
Bart
Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
]"Samuel Smiles"
bwi
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ralph --- SSBN 598 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Maybe I can hep you a little here.

The bow is a compound curve sort of.
If you know cad programs of good with graphics you can make a pattern that is flat and came be bent around the hull to give the correct scribe line to make a circle as viewed from the front.
-
Now here is what I would try.
Get a piece of balsa wood that you can turn a round rod from.
Or if you can get a round rod to start with, do that.

Scribe tube center lines on hull.
Make a stand to hold hull stead.
Make a stand to hold wood rods at center of tube.
Then slowly sand the wood rod to the contour of the hull.
You will need a rod for each tube. Well, not each tube.
Some are the opposite of the others.

Once you have a rod that fits tight against the hull, dip it in some thinned wood sealer.
I actually use thinned glue.
Sand rod back to proper diameter and use as a scribe guide.

I might even drill a very small hole center of each tube and put a centering pin in each wooden rod so it can not be pushed off center when scribing.
----------------------
Another way would be to make a guide that has a floating scribe tool over it.
Say a brass rod with a centering pin to go in that hole in the center of the tube location.
Then use another tube that fits tight over the guide rod and put a scribe pin on it that can float with the curvature of the hull as you turn it around the guide rod.

Using the stand to hold the gude rod level and straight to hull, slowly turn the scribe pin until you have a good line.
Ralph --- SSBN 598

Previous

Return to Builder Threads