Banner Ad 1

Pink SeaTiger, Operation Petticoat

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Pink SeaTiger, Operation Petticoat

Postby OldNoob » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

Got my revell 1/72 gato. Toying with the idea of doing the pink seatiger. Should I?
OldNoob

Re: Pink SeaTiger, Operation Petticoat

Postby brucethebrush » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 am

DOIT! Classic movie. Finally found it on evilbay. Was planning on doing it to my Gato. Gonna have female undergarments hanging from the rigging? Please post WIP pics. Got to get the ratio correct of white to red primer, eh.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby OldNoob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:06 am

brucethebrush wrote:DOIT! Classic movie. Finally found it on evilbay. Was planning on doing it to my Gato. Gonna have female undergarments hanging from the rigging? Please post WIP pics. Got to get the ratio correct of white to red primer, eh.
Bruce

LOL That would be really cool!
OldNoob

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:39 am

You would have really liked the 1/32nd scale Balao that Gene Berger had painted up as the USS Sea Tiger......nothing like a 10 foot pink sub!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby OldNoob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm

JWLaRue wrote:You would have really liked the 1/32nd scale Balao that Gene Berger had painted up as the USS Sea Tiger......nothing like a 10 foot pink sub!

-Jeff

That's awesome. Hard to find pictures of it.
Looks like also' the SeaTiger was actually a Balao class sub. It would take some major work for me to transform the Gato into a Balao class
OldNoob

Postby OldNoob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Here's a link to a Balao class conversion kit. would be more than i paid for the whole model LOL
http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/Csets2.htm
OldNoob

Postby modelnut » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm

OldNoob wrote:
JWLaRue wrote:You would have really liked the 1/32nd scale Balao that Gene Berger had painted up as the USS Sea Tiger......nothing like a 10 foot pink sub!

-Jeff

That's awesome. Hard to find pictures of it.
Looks like also' the SeaTiger was actually a Balao class sub. It would take some major work for me to transform the Gato into a Balao class

Yeah. I bought one of those conversion kits. It seems that mine was one of the last pulls from that mold. It was just an undefined lump of resin. Sent it back for a refund. :evil:

I might just fudge it when I finally do it. Since the SEA TIGER isn't a real submarine then it doesn't have to be a real BALAO does it? :twisted:

I also have two 72 GATO kits. I hope to convert them to RC one day. I only need one WTC since I can't drive two boats at once, right?

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:43 pm

I was researching the story of the "Sea Tiger" from Cary Grant's "Operation Petticoat" and found out the movie had it's beginning in truth. The USS "Sea Lion" was a Sargo class sub. On 10 December 1941 she took two direct hits in the Japanese air raid which demolished while at the Cavite Navy Yard for a refit. Unlike the movie "Sea Tiger" she was not refloated but destroyed to keep her out of enemy hands.

I tinkered with a couple of images of the "Sea Lion" just to see what she might have looked like.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ralph --- SSBN 598 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Now for some fun....... Operation Petticoat.

There were three real submarines used in the movie.
1. USS Balao was the submarine painted pink.
2. USS Archerfish was the boat in her natural colors of gray and black.
3. USS Queenfish was used for the opening and closing credits.

So if you want to build a USS Sea Tiger, you should be able to do what ever your want and still have a good representation of the USS Sea Tiger as long as you get the Pink correct.
Ralph --- SSBN 598

Return to Television and Movie Submarines