Banner Ad 1

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Voila! New resin capstan foundation and bow buoyancy vent. I cast the vent with a square foundation per the original article (see images above). I'll probably wind up replacing the one by the bullnose as well so they will match. I had hoped to open it up underneath to actually use it as a vent but the resin is very thin. The capstan is in its correct position on the center-line. Though you can see it in the image, I've already removed the kit piece from the deck.

Speaking of which, for anyone interested in doing these types of mods and removing raised features from the deck, I've found that it is pretty easy to do. I took down most of the capstan piece with a Dremel sanding drum, scraped it close to the deck with an X-Acto, then finished up with a sanding block of coarse sandpaper. Once removed, the plastic underneath winds up very smooth, almost like the raised part was added as a separate piece during production. Anyway, it isn't hard. Counting those tiny deck holes is hard.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Beautiful work, love the resin copy in place idea...beautifully executed. Gotta ask where the refs are coming from...maybe I missed it in a previous post. Are you making approximate drawings off of pictures? Just interested. Always looking for new sources :)

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks, Dave. I've been collecting images of this particular boat for approximately 18 years. I posted a few of the forward deck images on the previous page. I'll try to work some more in as I go. I also have some drawings made by the yard during her refit which are really helpful in sorting things out. The research part can be as much fun as the modeling -- at least for me.

I scaled the drawings to fit the kit pieces and I'm taking measurements of that to determine placement. Some of the markings on the piece are still approximate at this point (mainly the small square access hatches in the deck).

Here's a question for the group: what is your favorite tool to use for scribing panel lines, etc. in plastic kits?
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks Paul, as a history weenie, I've the research side too. To answer the question you posed...

For smaller things a set of small metal templates and a #11 Xacto held backwards... If it is a long line, 3M blue masking tape and the trusty Xacto...

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 am

I too would like to see any more refs you'd like to share, Wahoo and Trigger being siblings and all.

For my scibings I use a standard strait awl. I can sharpen the tip as needed. All those panels on the Liberty Ship I did that way. Micro Mark makes a scriber that you've probably seen that rolls a curly-cue of kerf behind it as you go. I find that thing digs in or skips so I don't use it that much. Dave's backward Xacto tip I've used too and it results in a finer panel line than my awl but I'd use Dymo tape as a straight edge for long straight runs, once adhered it makes a very solid guide you can lean into a bit without fear of jumping track as you scrape.

I like the idea of your molds for moving the deck parts around, in fact I was going to do that myself. But as it turns out now I'm more likely to beg cast offs from you. Sux to be first :D

BTW what stimulants are you using to keep up this mad pace? Or are you just in "the zone" right now?

Anyhow, Looks really good..an inspiration.

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for the scribing tips, guys. I've used the Micro-Mark tool before and had a similar experience. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, I've been riding the wave -- and it's about to break. We have some things this weekend which will keep me out of the garage. :( But the resin parts came about quickly because I had the mold/casting material handy.

I'll try to share more reference images as I go. It just takes time to put them together for the post and I haven't wanted it to prevent me from actually posting.

Tom, I'll be glad to send you some parts. BTW I found one of my promised bow buoyancy tank flood hole templates. :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:58 am

Me too! Me too!
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Jeff, you're building one of those weird EB boats. You probably don't need them :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm

I know; I was kidding. Sorta. But I MAY need SOME molded spare part(s), and if so, I know where you live.

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Not a problem
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:03 am

Guys,

FINALLY back at Harder after being long-sidelined by assorted issues with Seaview, Blueback, an involved non-sub model repair project (http://youtu.be/U3fL8Q4PmUM), and of course, starting up a brand new SubRon.

While buddies Paul and Tom make great strides on their Gatos' bow, forward deck and shears respectively, I know I need to start with something simple: opening up the fairwater "doorway" and dealing with those pesky propeller guard nubs aft.

After that my plan too is to attack the deck. Unlike Paul and Tom's Mare Island-built boats, however, which should presumably each possess the same teak-to-steel ratio as evidenced today on Silversides (built alongside Wahoo and Trigger at the same time in the same yard), MY boat, Harder, built by EB, shows up in photos as sporting an all-teak deck the whole length of her hull. I'll start in on that next time, but first…

I decided simplicity was best, so just took an X-Acto to those propeller guard nubs on the stern. Definitely hacked it up a bit, but knew with putty and sanding, my hamfisted approach would eventually come out in the wash. (BTW: the nubs are being removed because I'm not modeling the boat with said guards attached. Most of you guys know these guards were installed for protection while in port, but removed for actual war patrols.)

Now it's time to open up those doors. (Most of the Gatos I've seen had no doors or hatches here, just open passageways through the fairwater; presumably to make inspecting or servicing the main induction easier, but that's just speculation on my part.) The usual procedure here: drill a string of tiny holes to make the cutting easier. Then attack the hole's rough edges with various Dremel grinding bits, followed by files and sanding sticks to smooth things out. As usual with my work, these doorways are not perfect, but they ain't bad.

Next I attacked the nubs on the other stern piece (after taking a break from it by working on those "doorways"). Found I had much better luck this time using a broader-angled blade. Live and learn.

Now some rough sanding to give "tooth" to the about-to-be applied putty.

I'd originally thought I'd go with my old friend Evercoat Metal Glaze, but it's pretty soft for this application and besides, it's far too smelly to use in the house. Didn't feel like relocating outside at this late hour, so went with another old friend instead: two-part Milliput epoxy putty. It cures very hard overnight and sands well. Better still, it can be smoothed down with water during application for even more sanding ease later.

Here are the puttied stern pieces, curing. Final sanding is next—likely next weekend—then I'll get to try my hand at replacing lost weld lines as others have done.

Later,
JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Great job, Jeff! Those fairwater doors look perfect. Please tell me you will knock down those squares on either side along the base as well. I can't stand those things. Nor the prop guards -- it's always good to see someone scraping them off.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks, Paul. Yeah, if you mean those big, ugly, round-cornered raised rectangular thingies, don't worry, they're history—when I get around to it. I can't help but wonder what they are, or what they're meant to be, since I've never seen these things on photos that I can remember. Do you s'pose they were somehow on the original plans of the first, class-namesake Gato (SS-212)? I'm thinking maybe they were some kind of postwar mod on some boat that the German Revell researchers/developers ran across on a photo somewhere. Who knows. (Anyone?)

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 pm

I did not remove those rectangles, and I regret that (next one will be gone - may even this one after regatta) - I do not recall if I found a reference to those or not (something tells me I did). BUT I will defend all that have left their prop guards on! They were removed shortly after the war began and returned after the war was over, but I left mine on because of me. My driving skills were (still are) not up to par and I feared ripping the props into the side of a pool or rocks or the kiddie pool...err test tank (which my Skipjack did destroy). You have a specific sub being built and I definitely like that you are building without the guards (keeping it accurate and all). For the rest of us slobs..........Have mercy on us :-)
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:57 pm

You have a specific sub being built and I definitely like that you are building without the guards (keeping it accurate and all). For the rest of us slobs..........Have mercy on us

Just say it rebuilds a post war one, or do one of the few who retained the guards like Greenling (SS-213).
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads