Banner Ad 1

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Postby ssn705 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:53 pm

I just love watching the work in this thread. The idea of magnets for the guns is great. This thread is going to be a key reference when I break out one of my gatos...but that will probably wait until I am retired. Key up the awesome work guys.

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon May 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Consider coating the magnets with epoxy or enamel. Mine is rusting......although it adds a nice weathered effect on the deck gun.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Got into the shop this afternoon and managed to install both port and starboard prop shafts. My boat has wheels! Pics to follow when the glue dries and I get the chance.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon May 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Way to go, Paul. I'm envious as always.

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Here's the promised images. The first two show the current state of stern progress. The assembly is press fit onto the hull. I'm waiting to bond it after the cleanup work is done. It's easier to work with the sub-assembly rather than the whole boat. Props are G-Factor brass units.

Putty and primer is in progress. That pesky lower starboard tube just won't clean up properly. The rest of the work on the stern seams, prop guard mounts, etc. are coming along. The shaft struts are pretty clean at this point too. I tested the stern plane linkage and got the wire in through the skeg so everything is good to go. Need to install the prop shaft bearings next.

Also got the bow planes assembled this weekend. The shafts are drilled out and linkages test fit fine. Pins are installed temporarily and are purposefully longer than necessary. All control surfaces are ready to go. Once the bow finish work is completed I can glue the halves together and insert the bow retract works.

Had some additional fun adding some character to the bow planes. Note the weld lines. I first drew the line on the part, then taped either side keeping the gap as narrow as possible. Then filled the gap with baking soda and hit it with CA. Salmon's Gato thread has some good shots of this process. Will need to redo the lines on the stern as well.

Reference shot of Silversides bow plane taken by JeffP. I'm considering adding a few touches with paint for some further detail. Note excessively large well area in front of the plane. This was a later mod and not on Wahoo.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Further tinkering. Cut the dive plane well hand grabs for the port side. Once the starboard side is finished I can join the halves.

Also added the little square weld lines in front of the dive plane retract arm bearing (see Silversides reference photo above). The planes looked so plain before. I like the added character. It's more subtle in real life than the image suggests. I also created a larger radius for the bottom trailing edge corners of each plane. For me, this is the fun stuff.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Fantastic.

Breathless,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 am

Paul,
You make it look effortless! Very nice details and you're right that extra details make a big difference in the character of the dive plane. I am taking notes!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Beautiful work Paul, loving every bit of the detail work. It's funny how sometimes you don't even notice those details on the real thing until someone goes to the trouble to make their model perfect.

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks guys, it is a labor of love. And I agree completely, Dave. It isn't until I get to a part, such as the bow plane, that I look at it with a really critical eye and discover things that were always there but I never noticed. And then there's times when I'm positive I know something is there and then -- what the -- it's actually different than I've always thought. All part of the fun.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Tom,

What is your procedure for pickling white metal parts? I've tried different things but not the ferric chloride (I believe) that you use. I've got some in an etching kit and wanted to use it on the bow plane retract arms. And didn't want to disfigure/kill/ruin parts in the process.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:00 am

I use ferric chloride to pickle white metal parts. Don't worry it won't dissolve them before your eyes. You just need to pickle the parts for a short time, usually a minute or so until they go a charcoal grey. After a rinse and dry I usually then hit them with an etching primer, although that isn't really necessary (belt and braces).

Just make sure you wear old clothes when using it, as it stains like anything (fingers too).
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:01 am

Ditto what Andy said. I make a small hook from a piece of sprue. Once it is etched, use a baking soda bath to neutralize the acid (it may not be necessary, but I felt better). Then rinse. I can post some pics if you want.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:50 pm

"(belt and braces)" Andy, you always post some creative turn of phrase that cracks me up. :lol:

Okay, guys, I'll give it a try. In the past I've used epoxy primer when I've wanted to ensure adhesion to important parts that are metal or GRP. But I don't have much interest in mixing a batch for such a tiny job. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I cut in the hand grabs for the starboard bow plane well so I'm almost ready to work on the dive plane mechanism itself.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Voila! Stock part on the left, pickled part on the right.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads