Banner Ad 1

Hi and is there anyone around me?

R/C Submarine modelers

Hi and is there anyone around me?

Postby Southern Or » Tue May 27, 2014 5:09 pm

First off, hi I'm Josh and I'm currently building a Engel Typhoon. I also have a very rough Akula waiting on the back burner. Both subs will most likely be 2.4gHz since I can't find a 6-8 channel 75mHz system to save my life. I'll probably replace the antenna with a longer one and run it out the sail. As for my location, I'm in Oregon and it seems that I'm alone here. :cry:
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Re: Hi and is there anyone around me?

Postby salmon » Tue May 27, 2014 6:05 pm

2.4GHz will not run under water (which you may already know).
There are ones on eBay like Futaba on the secondary market, but there are new ones available. I use one called WFly Programmable Transmitter (do a google search you will find it available in the U.S.) it is a 8 channel version. Lots of programming adjustments. There is also a 6 channel version, but it is not as programmable. This is not the only one, but it is at least a help if you are looking.
Peace,
tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby silent runner » Tue May 27, 2014 6:46 pm

No, you are not alone, there are one or two of us in Oregon. Just curious, where are you? As stated, there are still a few 75mhz radios available. With that Typhoon, you are almost going to need independant motor control if you want it to turn. Seems as though I just read of a module that adjusts motor speed in a turn when running on a single throttle channel, just can't remember where ATM. Mike's Subworks had some 75mhz 6channels -http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html-so you might drop him a line and inquire on various sites, look for a 2nd hand Robbe/Futaba F-14 twin stick. Glad I got mine when I did. Vantec also has 75mhz radios, but they have a multi function box built in, mostly for robotics use. They are also high $$$$
Good luck and welcome.

Mike
The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 am

silent runner wrote:No, you are not alone, there are one or two of us in Oregon. Just curious, where are you? As stated, there are still a few 75mhz radios available. With that Typhoon, you are almost going to need independant motor control if you want it to turn. Seems as though I just read of a module that adjusts motor speed in a turn when running on a single throttle channel, just can't remember where ATM. Mike's Subworks had some 75mhz 6channels -http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html-so you might drop him a line and inquire on various sites, look for a 2nd hand Robbe/Futaba F-14 twin stick. Glad I got mine when I did. Vantec also has 75mhz radios, but they have a multi function box built in, mostly for robotics use. They are also high $$$$
Good luck and welcome.

Mike

Why, I'm just off the 205 near the border of drinkable and non-drinkable water. You wouldn't by chance be talking about a throttle/turn mixer would you? I already have one. When a light to medium turn is made it slows a screw, and when a hard turn is made it'll reverse one. I have a few Vantec systems and the receiver isn't really usable, plus it won't talk to my Futaba receivers. I have a 6 channel coming, but this is the kit with all the bells and whistles. It has 2 drive screws (could be mixed), rudder, 2 sets of dive planes (bow retractible) that could be mixed, ballast tanks, retractible and operating conning tower gear, and a bow thruster. I'd prefer 8 channels because I want to have the dive planes on independent dial channels so I can have better dive control. Engel has the F-14 in 40mHz but I doubt you can just drop in a 75mHz crystal. That'd be too easy. If all else fails, I do have a 8 channel FM 40mHz controller and receiver but I don't think it'd be legal.

Oh, Futaba doesn't do frequency changes anymore and Robbe wasn't very friendly when I called them. :( Funny thing, I enquired about an exemption or license for 40mHz from the FCC but they haven't sent anything back one way or the other. I take it no news is good news?
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 am

you can get frequency/crystals changed, check out http://www.radiosouthrc.com
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed May 28, 2014 10:55 am

re the Vantec kit, it sounds like you need a level booster/buffer to increase the voltage of the control pulse from the RX.

That's cheap and easy to do provided you can solder well.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby silent runner » Wed May 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Tony can't convert from 40mhz to 75mhz-I just asked him over the weekend. I did notice though that Ships n things still lists the F-14's. I shot him an email and his reply to me today was: ' The F-14 has not been discontinued, call me for info'.
Have not had time to call, I'm west coast, he is east coast. But a call is in the near future. Would like to pick up another in case mine dies.

Mike
The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 pm

silent runner wrote:

Tony can't convert from 40mhz to 75mhz-I just asked him over the weekend. I did notice though that Ships n things still lists the F-14's. I shot him an email and his reply to me today was: ' The F-14 has not been discontinued, call me for info'.
Have not had time to call, I'm west coast, he is east coast. But a call is in the near future. Would like to pick up another in case mine dies.

Mike

Yeah, I just called Tony and he said the same thing. I just emailed SnS. Thanks for that, but you and I share the same problem of being 3 hours ahead.

What I thought was a Vantec kit is really a VEX kit that doesn't help me. The receiver has a phone jack connection rather then the much needed Futaba style.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby silent runner » Wed May 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Just out of curiousity, which dive system did you get with the Typhoon? the TAE only uses one channel, but if you have the TMAX, you don't get all the features unless you run it with 3. It will still work with one though.
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Wed May 28, 2014 7:27 pm

I got the TMAX set :? . So you name it, the kit has it. So far building the sub has been easier then getting a control system for it. Now I bet you see why I'm really hurting for 8+ channels. 6 Could do it, but then things like the dive planes, ESCs, and ballast tanks would be mixed or joined via a Y cable. It also brings up the question of if I should even bother with the retractible and powered conning tower gear if I can't talk to it. My surface fleet at best needs 3-4 channels so this is a new realm for me. I'm not liking it so far. :x
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby silent runner » Wed May 28, 2014 11:26 pm

I looked into the Vantec system a bit more, and the decoder is a 'bit' too large to fit in the typhoon. unless you left the tanks out.lol. They do make excellent speed controls though and I won't use anything else. Besides, they are just 100 miles from me, so easy to talk to. BTW, I have never had an issue or failure with any of the scu's I have bought. Which ever one of us gets in contact with Al first, let the other know, and ask how many does he have and verify they are twin throttle sticks. Though alot of guys don't like them, the additional control modules can still be purchased, I think Engel has the best price. They take up about the same space as a RX and an additional battery pack. If he does not have the twin stick, those can still be purchased from Robbe or Engel and are a quick replacement.

Michael
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Sat May 31, 2014 12:05 am

:( Funny thing, I enquired about an exemption or license for 40mHz from the FCC but they haven't sent anything back one way or the other. I take it no news is good news?

No, no news is NOT good news. The 40MHz band has been allocated to Land Mobile service which means you'll have lots of interference from authorized users of the band and may result in you boat not coming home from a "mission". The chances of you receiving an FCC waiver for 40MHz are somewhere between never and zero.

There are lots of legal ways to do RC submarines - they have been outlined here - may I suggest you stick with those.

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Sat May 31, 2014 12:26 am

roedj wrote::( Funny thing, I enquired about an exemption or license for 40mHz from the FCC but they haven't sent anything back one way or the other. I take it no news is good news?

No, no news is NOT good news. The 40MHz band has been allocated to Land Mobile service which means you'll have lots of interference from authorized users of the band and may result in you boat not coming home from a "mission". The chances of you receiving an FCC waiver for 40MHz are somewhere between never and zero.

There are lots of legal ways to do RC submarines - they have been outlined here - may I suggest you stick with those.

Dan

1. Wfly stopped 75 production too.
2. SnS doesn't have 75mHz systems.
3. As I have stated, I need 8 channels. I need 8 channels. 6 "might" work but 8 wouldn't require me to mix things and leave things out.
Maybe you could give me your controllers.
BTW, the 30-40 bands are still up in the air IE they haven't been sold yet.

Fun question Roedj, you going to play by the rules and switch to 2.4 when 75 and 72 get auctioned off?
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Sat May 31, 2014 12:46 am

Dan[/quote]
1. Wfly stopped 75 production too.
2. SnS doesn't have 75mHz systems.
3. As I have stated, I need 8 channels. I need 8 channels. 6 "might" work but 8 wouldn't require me to mix things and leave things out.
Maybe you could give me your controllers.
BTW, the 30-40 bands are still up in the air IE they haven't been sold yet.

Fun question Roedj, you going to play by the rules and switch to 2.4 when 75 and 72 get auctioned off?[/quote]

1) Try:

http://www.sub-driver.com/electronics/r ... ivers.html

And, no, I have absolutely no connection with the company mentioned.

2) Don't know

3) I don't understand your statement about 30 to 40 bands not being sold yet. The 30Mhz to 40Mhz bands have been allocated long ago and are used widely. The 30MHz to 40MHz band is used for Land Mobile service and for ISM (industrial, scientific, and medical). Most of the FCC "sales/auctions" have been in the GHz region where there's lots more bandwidth for digital communication usage.

Fun answer - I acquired enough 50MHz (I am a licensed Ham operator) and backup 75MHz gear long ago to last a long, long time. There is no switching to 2.4GHz for subs - it doesn't work - period. Try ebay and look for the Futaba 9CAP radio on 75MHz - they pop up every so often.

I realize there are no easy answers for RC sub operators at this time but there are still options available to us if we act to acquire 75MHz gear or modifiable 72MHz gear now.

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Sat May 31, 2014 12:51 am

I already emailed him. They stopped making the 8 channel and he won't be restocking. I have three four channel controllers, 4 Wfly 8 channel "2.4, 75mHz, 72mHz, ect controllers that don't actually work on FM (good wast of money) and 3 more 6 channel 75s on the way. This is a fine but I still need the 2 extra channels.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler