Banner Ad 1

Revell IX C Conversion. Dry Hull Advise?

Place for general submarine conversation

Revell IX C Conversion. Dry Hull Advise?

Postby mucklestone » Sat May 10, 2014 8:21 pm

I am beginning a rc conversion of a Revell 1:72 IX C and want to make it a dry hull sub. I know the arguments for a wet hull but I still want to 'dry hull' it for the following reasons;

1. Space. It is not the smallest of subs but not the biggest either. I want space for a piston tank, 3 servos, 2 motors and plenty of batteries. I feel a dry hull gives a far more usable space.
2. Realism. I feel the heavier boats are less effected by waves and wind giving more realistic running.

I was hoping people could give me advice of how to construct the dry hull. At the moment I was thinking of reinforcing the revell hull between the bulk heads and adding a rigid horizontal bulkhead/lid just underneath the upper free flooding holes. I will then bolt down a perspex removable lid to the horizontal bulkhead.

Does that sound feasible? Any advice or opinions would be great.

Also I would like to use fibreglass on the inside to reinforce the hull. Will this damage the plastic hull? I have fears of the hull dissolving or melting like if you put the sprue's in petrol!

Thanks
mucklestone

Re: Revell IX C Conversion. Dry Hull Advise?

Postby Sub culture » Sun May 11, 2014 6:17 am

Dry hulls may give you more volume, but you can't always use it effectively as the hatch limits access to the box. Cylinders with careful planning enable very good use of internal space and to be honest these days with modern battery technology and small radio, space isn't an issue.

If you want the boat heavier then pack the hull with foam and add lead to compensate.

Piston tanks are great, but you'll almost certainly have to make your own for a model of this type as Engel tanks will be a bit too chunky I think. I'm assuming you have a lathe or know someone that can do some machining for you. It's possible to make piston tanks without a lathe, but your bench fitting skills will need to be A1.

If you want to line the inside of the hull with fibreglass, then make sure you use epoxy resin and not polyester, as the the latter will warp the hull.

Final piece of advise, join this organisation. It's just $15 and it gets you access to all the Sub Com reports going back to day one. A lot of advice and expertise written in those volumes, and you will find answers to most if not all of your questions.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby mucklestone » Sun May 11, 2014 12:33 pm

HI,
I do see your point with the hatch limiting usable space. I think it is a personal thing as well, I just do not like the idea of removing prop shafts, linkages to access the inside of the WTC. I want to be able to leave hatches open in storage to prevent dampness inside etc....

With regard to the tank, I can possibly make parts and get access to a lathe, but I intend to use mainly pre-made parts and do not think it will be necessary. I have a oil pump similar to this type of thing;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Fluid-Suc ... 1c3016f2cf

It is smaller and stumpyer than that one and a perfect fit for the IX. On the one I have the centre pin is threaded on one end and bolted through the rubber piston seal so I intend to unbolt that and substitute a fully threaded bar. For the gear box I will fabricate the housing out of brass plate and use the old metal mecanno gears. I will tap out one of the gears to fit the threaded bar and operate the tank. For now it will be limit switches for operation. Eventually I would like proportional control but that is another story. The piston is basically pre-made. I hope it will be a nice easy way to make a piston tank, but nothing ever goes to plan!

I am debating whether to use full size servos or mini ones. That will also effect my decision on the wtc.

I was not aware you could join. What do you get access to for the fee?
mucklestone

Postby Sub culture » Sun May 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Go here-

http://www.subcommittee.com/join.html

If you have a Paypal account signing up will be a cinch.

Once paid, you will within a short space of time find your forum privileges changed enabling you access to members only sections of the forum, including the back issue library.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General