Banner Ad 1

New Aussie member

Place for general submarine conversation

New Aussie member

Postby Jase » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi folks, following my usual protocol when joining a forum as an FNG, and posting an intro post.

Ive very recently decided to ditch my main hobby/sport of 25 years (pistol shooting) and take up RC modeling, submarines in particular. The shooting hasnt been my only hobby, gokarts, model (surface) boats, model cars, Rallying, hillclimbs, and making stuff in my shed has kept me busy.

Ive had a fascination with Submarines since growing up in the Aussie city of Sydney in the late 70's and early 80's, in a harborside suburb called Neutral Bay. Neutral Bay, at the time was home to the Royal Australian Navy submarine base, HMAS Platypus.

I spent many years of my childhood fishing from the local wharf which was a stones throw away from where the boats anchored, marvelling at what they did when they dissapered, sometimes for months on end. I still recall a friend of mine and I when we were in our early teens fishing from our "tinnie" one day in the harbour, we decided we would venture a bit closer to these wonderful machines.

It was with much bemusement at the time when a couple of the RANs finest appeared on the dock and told us in quite colourful language to "please turn yourself around and paddle back to the wharf" (not quite the language they used).

It was only years later, having worked in various civilian capacitys in a number of Government jobs I finally worked out these amazing machines real purpose, anyway, that in itself is another story.

So, in a quest to do something a little different, im going to scratch build a static diving model of a VIIC (Das Boot is one of my favorite films). Ive done a fair bit of online research and understand a static diver is markedly harded then a dynamic boat. Im prepared to accept the inevitable issues which crop up in my quest for a realistic working model.

Im no stranger to RC cars and surface boats, and have a lot of experience fabricating small and large scale parts for models, right up to full sized vehicles (basically im what we call in Australia; a jack of all trades and master of none).

Experience in a wide variety of things notwithstanding, I know im up for a fair bit of work and will relish the challenge.

If youve taken the time to read this far, thanks, and I look forward to gaining some valuable information from this site, and hopefully sharing something positive with the other contributors.

Cheers

Jason
Jase

Re: New Aussie member

Postby Scott T » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Welcome Jason. Good building.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Welcome Jason! Glad you are here. You have an ambitious goal for a first sub. There are many additional hurtles to overcome than other facets of R/C and the those compound when you want to build your hull from scratch. That being said, there is a great body of guys here willing to help.
Peace,
tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Welcome aboard, Jason. "Good luck and good hunting."

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Jason...and welcome aboard!

Please feel free to post and questions that you may (will!) have as you work on your Type VII project. To some, a project like this may seem overly ambitious, but from my persepctive if you break it down into smaller, manageble 'chunks' you'll do fine.

Don't forget to post photos of your progress....everyone likes to see what others are doing. Plus we all learn something from every build that we see.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jase » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome folks.

As I alluded to, I know I've got a fairly arduous task in front of me, though I'm a sucker for big tasks, if for no other reason to prove to myself what I can achieve.

As Jeff rightly stated "break it down into smaller manageable chunks".

Two of my favorite sayings (they are a bit corny I know) are:

1. What would you attempt to do if you knew you couldn't fail, and

2. You can eat an Elephant, you just need to do it one bite at a time.

I'm waiting on a (very) small scale Revell kit of the boat to arrive from a local model and hobby shop. I plan to use it as a reference point for the larger build, and in the interim I am searching for plans for the actual boat itself. I wont be building a perfect replica per se, moreso a functional working model which will pass scrutiny from a reasonable distance.

Scale is the biggest head scratcher for me at the moment.

To start my build, I currently have a 4ft long piece of 4inch diameter sewer pipe, a small pile of timber which I will start today to make my drydock/build frame out of, a shed full! of every sort of tool/machinery any reasonable person could ever wish to own, a head full of grand ideas and a bucketload of boyish enthusiasm about the whole project.

In the interim, I am scouring The Internet for as much information as I can gather on the VIIC, in particular RC versions. I even watched today (again) the extended version of the directors cut of Das Boot (gotta keep my enthusiasm up).

Cheers

Jason
Jase

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Jason,

Ah, yes...information on the Type VII! There are a couple of "must have" books on this boat for the serious modeler. I couldn't find any links on the amazon.com.au site, so have provided some from the U.S. site.

The first and foremost one is from the Vom Original Zum Modell: Uboottyp VII C by Fritz Köhl and Axel Niestle. Here's a link to the Amazon web site in the U.S. for the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Vom-Original-zum-Modell-Uboottyp/dp/3763760024
This book has a set of scaled down drawings of the Type VII that are recognized as the best available. These drawings are also available as a set of full-sized (i.e. *large*) drawings.

Next up is Type VII U-boats by Robert Stern:
http://www.amazon.com/Type-VII-U-boats-Robert-Stern/dp/1860198554/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1398458001&sr=8-13&keywords=U-boat+type+VII

Depending on where your interest lies besides good reference material for modeling, there are a number of other books worth looking into. Let me know if you're interested.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jase » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 am

Thanks Jeff.

I hadn't thought of Amazon, despite having purchased many other books there previously.

I appreciate the information, and, looks like another couple of purchases on their way "downunder".

Cheers
Jase

Postby Sub culture » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 am

Starting off with a full scratchbuild is very ambitious.

Of course it's been done plenty of times in the past, years ago you had no choice as kits just weren't available, or those that were required significant modification to work well. Nowadays however there is lots of choice out there of good quality kits that have been engineered to work well.

The Type VII has been modelled probably more than any other class of sub- very ubiquitous. For a modeller that's a good thing, as you'll find plenty of reference and advice from existing modellers.

Revell do a nice kit in 1.72nd scale. Three or four conversion kits exist for it, or you can build your own using the kit conversions as a guide.

This approach will get you in the game quicker, as building hulls is long and arduous business, and although it's very satisfying to get that first pull from the tools of a fully scratchbuilt hull, I only do it when I can find no commercial alternative.

If you can build your own internal cylinder and make it work well and reliably, you'll already be well ahead of many in this game. Then you can think about that 100% scratchbuild.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General