So I'm kicking around the shop searching for something to use for the pressure hull sections I need to replace...something plastic with a large radius curve. I don't want to heat plastic sheet and try to form it over a tube of some sort. My attempts to stretch sprue as a kid always ended in disaster (guys like Shep Paine made it look so easy). And then I happened to look at the hull of the boat itself. Maybe I could remove a section that wouldn't normally be seen? Then I realized I already had.
As I cut down the hull for the WTC opening, I had tossed the scrap into a large coffee cup on my bench. Inside I found the perfect curved piece.
After cutting out a section with the Dremel, and a session of carving and filing to make it fit, I got what I wanted. A little Tenax and it was welded in place.
You can also see a thin strip of styrene glued to the superstructure. This will define the bow plane well forward edge. I will fair this in once I get some more filler. All mine has gone bad.
Don't tell anyone but the angle isn't strictly scale. I chose a middle road on this one in order to leave room for the two flood holes between the planes and the anchor well. It seems the hull geometry is a little off. It could use an extra frame or two between the torpedo shutters and the bow planes.
Here you can see how the pressure hull curves up behind the superstructure in front of the bow planes. The new hull piece still needs to be faired in properly. But I love that there's a gap in there now (pardon my deep focus).
Rather than getting right to the exterior finishing, I reinforced the part at the seams with a little J-B Weld.
And I also cut out the section for the port side gap. Cut, scratch, glue, repeat.