Banner Ad 1

A Submarine? What Submarine?

R/C Submarine modelers

A Submarine? What Submarine?

Postby rowhider » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:21 am

Hello,

I'am Cyril, 35 years old, french and aeronautic engineer in real life.

I pratice cars, planes and sailboats models for more than 20 years and I would like to beginn a new project for me: a submarine!

But I have some issues to define what could be the best sub for me...

My final objective is to mount a cam on the sub to go close of animals on lakes.

In first:
- I've looked for the Neptune SB1: too expensive for me and too "toy" (My budget is about 500$ for the Sub with the WTC)
- I've looked for Robbe models: no more manufactured

Secondly:
- A Dumas Akula: dynamic diving, low cost but low reliability?
- A KILO RC-SUB WORKSHOP: like all 1/144 conversion: too small to become a decent cam platform

Thirdly:
- Maybe a KRICK Type VIIb: decent price for a first sub, decent dimensions but hard to find a complete build review
- Maybe a RC-SUB WORKSHOP Type XXIII: similar price than the Krick Type VII, similar length.

I precise than I live for the moment in an appartment, and I do not have a lot of hardware and place to work.

So what do you think of my project and what model could you advise for a beginner in Submarine models?

PS: Sorry for my english, far to be perfect :)
rowhider

Re: A Submarine? What Submarine?

Postby Ober Freak » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi Cyril,

The Robbe Seawolf / Conrad Electronic Sharcon (same kit) would be a good start in subs, it's cheap, easy and a reliable dynamic diver (or later with static conversion). But its hard to get by now, with a little luck on ebay.
The Dumas kit is very cheap, but the kit is more a full sphere waterproof surface runner than a sub. You could use the external parts and build your own WTC. Same with the Krick Type VII.
A 1/35 scale Type XXIII (Bronco?) or 1/72 scale Revell kit conversion should also a lead to a good result. Brüggen offers a conversion kit for the Type VII and is working on the Skipjack.
Those should be in your $500 / 400€ budged.
And you need an old-school MHz system, i think 41 MHz was it in France.

Marco

PS.: if you choose the Brüggen kits, you should call him, he didn't answer emails very often.
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby rowhider » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 am

Ober Freak wrote:Hi Cyril,
The Robbe Seawolf / Conrad Electronic Sharcon (same kit) would be a good start in subs, it's cheap, easy and a reliable dynamic diver (or later with static conversion). But its hard to get by now, with a little luck on ebay.

=> I try to find one exemplar, but without success: like you said, it’s hard to find.

Ober Freak wrote:The Dumas kit is very cheap, but the kit is more a full sphere waterproof surface runner than a sub. You could use the external parts and build your own WTC. Same with the Krick Type VII.

=> Very interesting, for me the Type VII from Krick was far better in term of tightness: I shall avoid this model also. Thanks for your caution!

Ober Freak wrote: A 1/35 scale Type XXIII (Bronco?) or 1/72 scale Revell kit conversion should also a lead to a good result. Brüggen offers a conversion kit for the Type VII and is working on the Skipjack.
Those should be in your $500 / 400€ budged.

=> I didn’t know the Skipjack conversion kit, I only known for the Type VIIc from revell. My only concern with Brüggen is that my german is not good enough to discuss with him, I have heard that he needs to ask to his wife to translate English. (I don’t know if it’s the truth). But it could be definitively a good model with a lot of place to work in.

Ober Freak wrote: And you need an old-school MHz system, i think 41 MHz was it in France.

=> Yes it is, but 35Mhz band is authorized since last 2000’s : I have always an old Hitec Flash Pro Car in 35Mhz. (4 channels)

I’ve got a proposal from the someone of the French sub forum: Scalesub who sell a RedShark from Arkmodel. I think it could be a good first sub before to improve it with a static ballast system: your opinion?
rowhider

Postby Ober Freak » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

rowhider wrote:I’ve got a proposal from the someone of the French sub forum: Scalesub who sell a RedShark from Arkmodel. I think it could be a good first sub before to improve it with a static ballast system: your opinion?

The kit looks interesting, and pictures shows it incorporates a WTC.
If you get it for a good price, take it!
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby cheapsub » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

sorry, just to make things clear, Cyril you want to build a scale model RC submarine then put a waterproof camera or camcorder like GoPro on it, not in it.

WWII small scale 1/72 submarine not much room on deck. but Bronco 1/35 type XXIII $100 US, may be just the right size 1M long. build or buy a wtc, you are good to go!
also cold war sub many people have done it.

Dumas kit you are right, think twice.

go cheap! but not scale model.
DYI PVC pipe sub or go geek out on a ROV like openrov.com

even cheaper RC DUCK, if it will sink can we count as a submarine?
cheapsub
SubCommittee Member

Postby rowhider » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:58 am

Hi Cheapsub,

The Bronco Type XXIII is effectively at the right size for me: large enough to be stable on water and large enough to put a Sports cam on the deck.

What can you tell me about the Brüggen Skipjack WTC? What is included in? I understand that there is no motor and no ballast system, no electronic but what about the linkages for control surfaces, fittings...?
rowhider

Postby cheapsub » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 am

just googled Brüggen Skipjack WTC, he uses the Engel system, battery powered.

for most wtc system how they work, please down load the free Steve's dumb ass book.

i am drying up here, anyone, jumps in.
cheapsub
SubCommittee Member

Postby rowhider » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 am

cheapsub wrote:just googled Brüggen Skipjack WTC, he uses the Engel system, battery powered.
for most wtc system how they work, please down load the free Steve's dumb ass book.
i am drying up here, anyone, jumps in.

The Brüggen's website don't provide a lot of datas about this kit: my question was sent to someone who has already bought this kit.
I've downloaded the Steve's book last week and some other books relative to submarine models... :wink:
rowhider

Postby Sub culture » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

That conversion could use any of the popular (or not so popular) ballast systems. He shows a 500ml Engel tank fitted, but plenty of room inside for any system, so that cn save a lot of money, as Engel tanks aren't especially cheap.

Also you could start off with it as a dynamic diver, with a chunk of lead, or even a bottle of water in place of the tank, and add a ballast system later.

You can't go wrong with any of Norbert's kits, they're very well thought out with good instructions, and although a little on the pricey side, you get good quality. I think the conversion kits he produces for Revell Type VII and Skipjack are actually very good value, and save for scratch building are probably the cheapest route into the hobby.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler