Banner Ad 1

Neptune mod, or late to the party.

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Neptune mod, or late to the party.

Postby salmon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Saw the picture of your Neptune SB-1 in the December issue of SCR. Very cool Jeff! Very cool.
Tonight pool test.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Big Dave, do you want me to start a different thread on the trials of my TT Neptune? Or is it o.k. To leave it here?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Albion » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:13 am

Any colour other than Red would be best. Red is the first colour to disappear as you go deeper. So its stands to reason you wont be able to see red on the surface if the sub is deep.

Because absorption is greater for long wavelengths (red end of the visible spectrum) than for short wavelengths (blue end of the visible spectrum). Thanks Wiki for the science, that why many underwater video cameras have red filters, to put the red back in.
Albion

Postby Bigdave » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:27 am

Here is fine with me. 8)
Post away. :mrgreen:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Thank you sir!
So, it blew a fuse......but after running for 45 minutes.
I did the initial trial, but shortly after running it (it ran so well and behaved so nicely) I handed the controls for Sam to run.

He and I both were able to get a pseudo neutral buoyant (well close enough) attitude with the Neptune.

So I went to go sit with grandma and Tina and a little while later, the sub was on the surface and Sam yelled it stopped. We figured it ran out of battery. Although that was pretty harsh not to let us have any throttle to guide it in.

When I got home, I put the battery on the charger and it had about 11.7 volts on it, I thought that should be more than adequate to run. Checked the fuse and that is when we discovered the fuse was blown. The internals were dry (yeah!) and I did not smell any electronic burning smell. So gurus of the Neptune, is the prop too much for this boat? It is a three blade, 40 mm outside diameter with a 41 mm pitch (do not know for sure what that means or if that is a steep pitch). How does the Raboesch prop compare to that?
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:52 pm

This is the boat with the aftermarket gearbox installed? Did you receive the standard kit-supplied parts that were removed during the 'conversion'?

Okay, that aside...it would be good to know what the amp draw is when under full throttle (and even better the prop is in water). We'd then need to check the ESC to see what it's rating is. I don't recall from looking at mine...perhaps BD could chime in on this?

One other thought - you could consider replacing the fuse with a fuse that resets automatically after a period of time. That would get you back to 'shore' in the event of future problems.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 pm

I believe they are also known as a polyswitch.

e.g. http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46852/15 ... -FUSE-12V/
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Jeff,
Thank you. The planetary gear drive was removed, it is back to stock (purchased replacement parts). Andy also suggested testing with the prop in water, I guess I better do that. Now for the dummy question....I have never tested the amps drawn from a motor is that a measurement between pos. and neg. or is that an inline test negative passing through the meter?
Thank you for your help!
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:01 pm

the last one. the meter should be in line with the circuit.
It does not matter if it is on the positive or negative wire.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 pm

I would just add the next size larger fuse.
The ESC in the sub is actually quite robust and has built in over current protection.
I am sure you are drawing more amps than the stock prop at full throttle but the motor will be fine with it.
:wink: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:38 pm

40mm dia by 41mm pitch is the standard size of the original Neptune prop. The replacement may have more blade area though.

A low revving high torque 550 should easily be able to turn that without pulling much current.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Tom,

Which prop are you now using? The stock prop of the TT 'power' prop? I'm using the TT power prop and have not had any problems with the fuse kicking out. If yours is the same, then this might be useful comparative information to help track down the problem.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:04 pm

It is a prop that Bob from rc-sub.com put on when he owned it.
here is a photo from his site:

So, should I back this prop off and get a 6 blade prop that TT sells?
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:12 pm

The scimitar props doesn't make a huge difference. Unless you are unhappy with the speed of the boat, leave the prop as is.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Sub culture wrote:The scimitar props doesn't make a huge difference. Unless you are unhappy with the speed of the boat, leave the prop as is.

I beg to differ. :) It made a noticeable difference when I tried it!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads