Banner Ad 1

New Guy Checking In

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: New Guy Checking In

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:12 pm

As always, I'll look forward to every word, Sir. And the idea of you two doing something together (as Paul C. and I worked in tandem on this issue's Regatta coverage) really warms my heart. Make it so!

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Tom Dougherty wrote:Great! Do you scratch a frame and then sheet over with plastic card? Are you using Plastruct beams, etc. for a skeleton and frames or are you carving the parts? I have done some scratch building, but I have so little time, I think I would get a model done every three years if I did scratch building on a regular basis. As you can see, I already have a backlog of kits! Saving them largely for retirement.

For Jeff P.
Sounds like you might be able to give our fave historian/static builder Tom Dougherty a run for his money!

Ain't sure how much longer this run is going to go anyhow. I've been at it pretty steady for 51 issues of the SCR (since #43), missing but a handful without some article or review. Having said that, I do have a few more Static columns (and would like to see if I can recruit Dave to showcase some of his above work). And I have one heck of a multi-parter article in mind: The Ultimate Summation of as many aspects as possible of Project Azorian, the recovery of a Golf II submarine by the CIA. Sure to mean close NSA monitoring for not only me, but Larue, Thor and maybe even you (unindicted co-conspirator!).

I generally carve a frame out of heavy plastic sheet and then cover it in thin sheet.

I figured once I am able to start on TIRU I will do an article or a build following post here... happy to do articles, but I am gonna be somewhat limited time-wise for the next few months (starting a big school).

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bruce Martin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Glad to see that you have rejoined, also glad that you have good knowledge of the WWII IJN boats, I have a R/C 1/48 scale I-19 and looking to R/C a 1/72 scale I-53.
Iam looking for any drawings or pictures of this boat, any info at all would be great. I would like to see how accurate this kit is, and what modification that I might have to do. Thanks. :D :D :D

I see that Tamiya has a 1/700 scale I-58 and had thought of getting that and enlarging the instructions to try and get an idea.

Later Bruce
Bruce Martin
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Most of my study was devoted to operational employment and design aspects of the IJN submarine force. Unfortunately, I don't have alot of drawings, but I will see what I can find to post for I-58.

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby MM2-SS Durham » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 pm

@ssn705 -- Gorgeous work! You mentioned when showing your stockpile that you are selling off some items. I served aboard USS Los Angeles (SSN-688) and might be interested in obtaining a nice replica like the ones in your pics. I am brand new to this forum, and totally impressed with the level of knowledge and detail that submarine modelers possess and demonstrate!
MM2-SS Durham
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Welcome aboard MM2-SS Durham! Always good to see new members joining in!
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:28 am

Jody (MM2-SS Durham),

Glad to see you're already posting on the forum. Welcome aboard, 'mate. It's fun here!

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 am

MM2-SS Durham wrote:@ssn705 -- Gorgeous work! You mentioned when showing your stockpile that you are selling off some items. I served aboard USS Los Angeles (SSN-688) and might be interested in obtaining a nice replica like the ones in your pics. I am brand new to this forum, and totally impressed with the level of knowledge and detail that submarine modelers possess and demonstrate!

Yeah, I am selling off aircraft kits...gotta make room for the second 1/72 Gato!

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:09 pm

They've been watching me for years anyway....I hope they are bored out of their NSA skulls....Join the team!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby MM2-SS Durham » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the welcome aboard, gentlemen! I'm bouncing back in when I can... it's baseball season in SE Texas, and I've been tapped to coach my step-son's team, so that's been occupying most of what "free" time I had. LOL Practice in an hour, and my arm is still shot from throwing BP last night. But I'll be back when I can. Y'all really seem to have a top-notch organization that would any submariner proud! :)
MM2-SS Durham
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to General