Banner Ad 1

OTW's new R-10 Class WW1 sub kit

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: OTW's new R-10 Class WW1 sub kit

Postby SteveNeill » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Jeff the guy wants a full sized one. not a problem I have done such things many time before. www.sneillfx.net
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:17 pm

You know I believe it was Ron Howard's brother that played the alien.
Clint from Gentle Ben.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Correct!
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:35 pm

SteveNeill wrote:Jeff the guy wants a full sized one. not a problem I have done such things many time before. http://www.sneillfx.net

I was suggesting something additional to go with your existing busts, not a change to your client's request. My bad if it sounded that way!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:15 am

I like a large bust! :P
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Me too!

But, going back a couple of posts, remember that Trek TOS was very much a Desilu production, making use of the stable of players regularly hanging around the lot for other Desilu productions (Ron and Clint Howard among them) like Andy Griffith, Mission: Impossible, etc. There were standing sets too. My favorite example: watch carefully as Shatner romantically walks Joan Collins down that "'30s" street in City on the Edge of Forever—they saunter right past Mayberry's Floyd's Barber Shop and Emmet's TV Repair!

Sorry, back to substuff. Too MUCH Tranya, I guess...

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Jeff LaRue! No problem. Not at all. And big isn't always better but in some cases it can be....;) but I digress. Talk about going off topic.
I worked on that back lot and miss those days but I'm very glad to have that experience live inside me.

Now getting back on topic I will be doing some work on the R-10 Monday and through the rest of the week. Not my usual speed build but bit by bit as I have many duties in our new studio to attend to to keep our doors open.

Since I no longer live in LA and have a pool in my backyard(worth the trade off to get out of LA I have had enough!) I'll be building a rather large test tank 8x3x36 to test boats in the studio before braving the lakes. The pool really didn't make a good test tank anyway as you always were bent over or had to retrieve the boat from 7 ft down in a non heated pool if things went wrong! :shock:

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:49 pm

JefftyToo wrote:Me too!

But, going back a couple of posts, remember that Trek TOS was very much a Desilu production, making use of the stable of players regularly hanging around the lot for other Desilu productions (Ron and Clint Howard among them) like Andy Griffith, Mission: Impossible, etc. There were standing sets too. My favorite example: watch carefully as Shatner romantically walks Joan Collins down that "'30s" street in City on the Edge of Forever—they saunter right past Mayberry's Floyd's Barber Shop and Emmet's TV Repair!

Sorry, back to substuff. Too MUCH Tranya, I guess...

JeffP

My favorite episode for sure.
And I think I am not in the minority there. 8)
Now back to your regularly scheduled program. Sorry Steve.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Definitely one of my favorite episodes as well…though I would have to say that Mirror, Mirror is on the top of my list.

Steve: we're definitely going to be watching your R-class build!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Steve,

GREAT news about your intended test tank! I was wondering about trimming not only your own submersible projects but, at some point later on, my Revell Gato/Harder when I employ you to install Big Dave's newest custom twin-screw drive/ballast system (still/currently under R&D, right BD?) and properly trim her for me...

BTW, I'm hard at work on my little Blueback's refit (dealing with issues from her near-loss in SanFran last fall) and HOPE to finally button her up this weekend. IF this gets accomplished, I'd like to suggest an Anaheim run next Saturday as we've recently discussed. If you miss this post, not to worry, I'll be emailing you a status update soon, and will also contact Darren. If next weekend is too short notice, then we'll arrange for something soon thereafter.

Later,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Maybe those guys on the Tanked show (aquarium builders in Vegas)would do an episode and build you that test tank you mentioned.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 pm

JefftyToo wrote:Steve,

GREAT news about your intended test tank! I was wondering about trimming not only your own submersible projects but, at some point later on, my Revell Gato/Harder when I employ you to install Big Dave's newest custom twin-screw drive/ballast system (still/currently under R&D, right BD?) and properly trim her for me...

BTW, I'm hard at work on my little Blueback's refit (dealing with issues from her near-loss in SanFran last fall) and HOPE to finally button her up this weekend. IF this gets accomplished, I'd like to suggest an Anaheim run next Saturday as we've recently discussed. If you miss this post, not to worry, I'll be emailing you a status update soon, and will also contact Darren. If next weekend is too short notice, then we'll arrange for something soon thereafter.

Later,
JeffP

With a blank look on his face Bigdave says, Huh! :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
Lol!
Actually Jeff I will be sending you some info soon.
For the life of me I can't find the design work I was doing last year.
But I started again after having an appiffany lying in bed half asleep.
One of those you need to get up and write it down before you forget times.
I like this system much better.
I call it HELP.
High Elevation Low Pressure. :roll: :lol:
More info soon.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:53 am

Finally got started. More tomorrow.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 am

Hull cut's lookin' good, Steve. I'll be watching the above post during lunch at work today.

BD: Not to worry—the boat's not built yet! But she is started, I'll get back to her soon, and it's good to know you're thinking about her eventual higher-freeboard ballast system. Love the new system acronym! Reminds me of my acronym/nickname for my computer at work: HALP! (Heuristically Programmed Algorithmic Pinhead! ... with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick.)

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

Oooo!
Steve's got video.
Time to heat my coffee. :D
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave