Nothing like a blizzard to get some time at the bench...
When last we saw our hero he was had at work casting a custom set of periscope shears for Trigger.
I choose the best one to start getting it ready but first I had to get the covered wagon frames
finished which was a simple matter of finishing the middle ones and attaching them.
Every thing from the bridge decking up is going to have brass pins installed for extra strength. Steyrene
by itself isn't going to hold up very long to the odd knocks and bangs we give these boats. So I drilled
out all the mast and periscope tubes on my new shears piece. Turns out I'd by spending a lot of time
with the pin vise this weekend.Everything
gets a pin. Here I'm drilling out one of the kit scopes. I did this for both the standard and
attack scope heads.
I cut brass tubing to serve as periscope casings and radar mounts. There will be some photo-etch added at a much later date
for the radar heads, no point attaching them just to break them off. Here is the array of piping and masts. They are all pretty
rough yet but serviceable.
Nothing here is permanently attached. I have to do some painting in there first or I'll never be able to get at it later.
I have bracing, floodlights, navigation lights, and a plethora of odds and ends to do to busy up the aloft area but the bones
I will continue along those lines not thinking, not at all, about those dang flood holes in the hull down there. Nope.