Banner Ad 1

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Postby PaulC » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Here you can see a little better what I mean.

I sectioned the plans and scaled them onto two sheets of paper. Then I cut them out and taped them to the hull. You can see the Nautilus models templates below the hull.

Starting from the back I worked my way forward taping them to the superstructure. It became apparent that the template holes were much larger than the ones on the plans.

Here is the template in place. You can see some of the scale limber holes inside the template cutout holes.

These plans are for a Portsmouth Balao so they are not exact matches for the MI boats such as Wahoo, etc. However, I do have a set of images, taken by JeffP, of Silversides which clearly show the proper placement and size of the holes. Between the plans and the images I should be able to work up a good roadmap for the correct limber pattern.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 am

Paul,

I will be less than 15 minutes from Silversides in February, so of you need any photos or measurements let me know. I am always happy to see her.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:50 am

Good for you, Paul—great detective work! Admittedly the Nautilus Models templates look wonderful, but wrong is still wrong. I'm sensing that at some point you'll have a fully corrected/individualized, complete, and utterly scale set of MI limber holes as a PhotoShop file or files. Printed on some kind of vellum (like the old days), or even thin sheet styrene, these could be an invaluable help to a lot of people. Now you're feeling the same disappointment I felt in the Nautilus Models keel flood hole pattern, and likewise the same excitement I felt by using a template set scaled from real plans. (Thanks again Tom C. and Scott T.!)

Of course, it'll be a lot more work to go this new way. But the real benefit is: you'll sleep at night.

Green Board,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Grrrrr. Just flippin Grrrrr.

Well I guess it proves the old adage---"If you want something done right...."
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Paul,

Now that I think of it, could you photo-etch those (eventual) redone/accurate MI limber hole strips? Either on your own or farm them out? (LaRue? Eliot Brown?) I'm gonna use those third party EB pattern limber hole brass strips on mine; no reason not to think about the same for yours. So much less drilling and filing, my friend!

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Here are my modifications made to my Gato kit which will evolve to be USS Puffer.
My WTC will be closed by 2 simplified bayonet locks and i plan with 2 piston tanks.

Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Looks interesting. Are you planning to lay down planks on the deck since you marked the
cross members on the deck surface. Interested to see how you machined your bayonet
rings. Keep us posted.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Yes, I will plank the deck as Puffer had a full length wooden deck.
The bayonet rings are the 70mm tube with small lasercut acrylic rings to fit into the 80/74mm tube.
The locking will be done by the acrylic formers with some M2 screws.

Marco
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Here are closeups of the rings.
I got that idea from Brüggen's Revell Type VIIc conversion kit.

Image Image
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ober Freak » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:12 pm

I replaced the Revell bow shutters with the valley type AMP shutters.
The shutters itself are not fixed, yet.
The area need some putty first, but I didn't found any.

ImageImage
Ober Freak
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Looking good Marco!

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Very nice. The early Gato shutters are a cool look.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ssn705 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39 am

The great work continues. Love watching this one. Managed to score a second Gato for $80! Now I have two so that I can do a normal fleetboat and a post war SSK. Unfortunately work is gonna keep me from joining the fun for a bit.

Cheers,

Dave
The Underwater Menace

ssn705
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Nothing like a blizzard to get some time at the bench...

When last we saw our hero he was had at work casting a custom set of periscope shears for Trigger.
I choose the best one to start getting it ready but first I had to get the covered wagon frames
finished which was a simple matter of finishing the middle ones and attaching them.

Every thing from the bridge decking up is going to have brass pins installed for extra strength. Steyrene
by itself isn't going to hold up very long to the odd knocks and bangs we give these boats. So I drilled
out all the mast and periscope tubes on my new shears piece. Turns out I'd by spending a lot of time
with the pin vise this weekend.

Everything gets a pin. Here I'm drilling out one of the kit scopes. I did this for both the standard and
attack scope heads.

I cut brass tubing to serve as periscope casings and radar mounts. There will be some photo-etch added at a much later date
for the radar heads, no point attaching them just to break them off. Here is the array of piping and masts. They are all pretty
rough yet but serviceable.

Nothing here is permanently attached. I have to do some painting in there first or I'll never be able to get at it later.
I have bracing, floodlights, navigation lights, and a plethora of odds and ends to do to busy up the aloft area but the bones
are in.

I will continue along those lines not thinking, not at all, about those dang flood holes in the hull down there. Nope.

BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 am

Ned B. would be proud. I know I am; nice work. Lots o' room back there on the cigarette deck, I see, for one standard issue park bench. H'yep.

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads