Banner Ad 1

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby the dark knight » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks Matt! I downloaded and read the instructions. I think I will steal your set up for the dive planes and rudder linkages in the tail as well! Thursday I am going over to my parents place in St. Louis and hit up some of my favorite hobby shops for a few small things to finish this boat.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 pm

More work on Alfa today. I resprayed the black on the upper rear of the hull to fix runs I had from spraying the red. I then painted the rest of the water line and clear coated it. I also stuck a 1/8th inch brass rod in the hole I cast in for the future prop shaft. The reason? So I can have the prop sit on the rear of the boat, and give me some encouragement!

Since it will be warm here today and tomorrow I am trying to get as much painting done as I can before it gets cold again.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Okay, so I should have this bad boy done very soon! This last weekend I purchased all the hardware needed to finish Alfa mechanically. I have oilite bearings on order, should be here in a few days. I got a Dumas 3/16th stainless steel drive shaft I will install once the bearings arrive. Then hook the linkages up for the dive planes and rudders. Then all I should need are a few electronic parts and she will be in the water.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:11 am

Wow Jon,
I can't get over the fact you scratch built this, i seen earlier pics. when you started, but man, this sub is really coming together. Very nice work. Your getting me motivated. thanks Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby the dark knight » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks Jeff! I look forward to seeing your Sturgeon finished. :D

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Builder Threads