Banner Ad 1

Question for owners of R/C NAUTILOI

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Sub culture » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:47 pm

A friend of mine built a 4 foot working replica of the Disney Nautilus over 25 years ago.

Back then, he didn't have any access to blueprints, he built the model from photographic stills, which he shot himself from the movie!

Considereing the source, he got extremely close to Harpers concept.

He discovered exactly the problem that Bob is describing. Experiments were largely unsuccesful (however I don't think he ever tried a shroud). In the end, a set of hydrovanes were installed very far aft- actually on the rudder itself.

These provide very effective angle keeping, and enable him to bring the nose out of the water for 'collision speed'- effectively he planes the Nautilus!!

This was the only way he could achieve a decent rate of knots from his Nautilus, without it ducking beneath the waves.

I'd be interested to hear about the results of other folks solutions.

Maybe a custom mounted front 'spoiler' or hydrovane would help keep the nose slightly high?

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:51 pm

A friend of mine built a 4 foot working replica of the Disney Nautilus over 25 years ago.

Back then, he didn't have any access to blueprints, he built the model from photographic stills, which he shot himself from the movie!

Considereing the source, he got extremely close to Harpers concept.

He discovered exactly the problem that Bob is describing. Experiments were largely unsuccesful (however I don't think he ever tried a shroud). In the end, a set of hydrovanes were installed very far aft- actually on the rudder itself.

These provide very effective angle keeping, and enable him to bring the nose out of the water for 'collision speed'- effectively he planes the Nautilus!!

This was the only way he could achieve a decent rate of knots from his Nautilus, without it ducking beneath the waves.

I'd be interested to hear about the results of other folks solutions.

Maybe a custom mounted front 'spoiler' or hydrovane would help keep the nose slightly high?

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:22 pm

I'm planning on angling my prop shroud so that full throttle sucks the rear downwards, exaclty as Andy put it. My big problem is that I've got a hugely powerful motor driving the model, but anything over 1/3 throttle sucks air from the surface. With the shroud acting like a big aft dive plane, I should be able to pull the aft down under power.

Better yet, I may link the shroud to my dive plane linkages to act as a Koort nozzle. I'll look into that more tonight. That would act like a huge dive plane, and if I make it from clear acrylic, you should hardly notice it underwater.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:46 pm

Okay... here's what I ended up doing (for those who care):

I scrapped the idea of the large shroud in favor of a set of dive planes aft of the propellor. I made them in the same style as the rest of the model, so the look is preserved, and only the die-hard Nautilus purists will care (ahem.... Will).

A shot of my model safely nestled in the back of my minivan. Leaves just enough room for the baby stroller...

Note the linkage disappearing into the hull (I still need to paint it and touch up the hull).

The planes still need to be weathered to match the model, but you get the idea.

I tested the model at Thetis lake last Saturday, and the new planes make a world of difference. Control is fast and precise. The model tends to porpoise slightly at higher speeds, but maintains depth well, with a slight tendency to rise over the course of her run. I may play with running the four stock planes to my depth controller and the aft trim planes to my trim controller, but for now she runs exceptionally well.
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:15 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:Okay... here's what I ended up doing (for those who care):

I scrapped the idea of the large shroud in favor of a set of dive planes aft of the propellor. I made them in the same style as the rest of the model, so the look is preserved, and only the die-hard Nautilus purists will care (ahem.... Will).

A shot of my model safely nestled in the back of my minivan. Leaves just enough room for the baby stroller...

Note the linkage disappearing into the hull (I still need to paint it and touch up the hull).

The planes still need to be weathered to match the model, but you get the idea.

I tested the model at Thetis lake last Saturday, and the new planes make a world of difference. Control is fast and precise. The model tends to porpoise slightly at higher speeds, but maintains depth well, with a slight tendency to rise over the course of her run. I may play with running the four stock planes to my depth controller and the aft trim planes to my trim controller, but for now she runs exceptionally well.

Beautiful model Bob, too bad you ruined it with the cheater planes. :laugh: Just kidding, they blend in nicely.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:53 pm

How did you add the rivets Bob? If you soldered them on bit by bit, must have took you VERY long.......... :)
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:47 am

Solder wouldn't work too well considering it's a fibreglass hull.

I used 2hr epoxy thickened to a toothpastelike consistency with microballoons. I added them to the model with a pencil-like tool... one at a time.

I hate rivets now. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. Seems everytime I touch my model I need to fix more of them up.

I lost count sometime after 20,000, and that was before I joined the two halves and needed to retouch all of the side raker rivets.

Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em!
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:03 pm

I understand, they follow you everywhere! :D Wonder if the guys who made the movie had a confusing time too..... rivet after rivet after rivet after rivet....... :O
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:29 pm

If I'm not mistaken (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the origianl 11' filming miniature was sheeted in actual brass, the rivets for which were hammered from the back of the plates before they were applied to the model.

Guy Takaguchi used a similar method on his beautiful brass R/C Nautilus. Pat Regan has pics of this model on his website.

A lot faster and not as messy as glue, but you have to work inside-out.
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Television and Movie Submarines