Unlike SOME members of the Gato Wolfpack there has been no liberty put down at the Kisler yards. No joking and smoking on the beach in Carmel, begging stick time from some unfortunate passersby.
No sir, just hard at work.
I totally hate you guys...
Anyhow between building a fence and the general uptick on the social calendar I haven't gotten much done and in fact what I did get done was met with failure and frustration. Today, finally, I have some success to report. I have been working on Trigger's periscope sheers and airborne miscellany which differ very significantly from the Revell kit part which I am now convinced, having looked over many many reference photos, they just made up.
They say you can break down a complex scratch-build into easier sub-parts. Then "they" leave the room. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to go about it. First thing I knew I would need, regardless of the way I went about it, was an alignment jig to hold the three tubes at the right spacing and more or less parallel to each other.
That worked fine. The main difference I saw between the kit part and Trigger was that the middle tube had fins that ran the full length and not the truncated ones on the kit. I decided that my methodology should be to build all the tubes and all the fins then slide separate platforms down to the right level on the sheers glue and fill. I got quite far with this scheme. I made another jig to glue the fins on and even had some lightening holes drilled.
My goal was to keep the fore and aft fins on the middle tube a continuous run. I'd fill in where the oval gaps were, slide a platform down. Glue, then slide the next...
Waitaminute. The second, third and fourth platforms were all to small for that to work. I'd have to cut them into threes and piece them in as I went. Oh, THAT would look good.
Obvious I know. Well I know now. You're probably that smarmy "They" guy who was so much help earlier. Anyhow, I'm a moron, but as the say on MythBusters, even failure provides information.
That was a couple weeks ago. Today, armed with my negative information, I saddled up and tried a different way. First I tore the old ones apart, cleaned up what I could salvage, and measured and cut all I couldn't.
I used the alignment jig and built the entire frame verticals and horizontals as square as I could. Instead of trying to fit all the fiddly curved oval bits into each cavity I decided it would be easier to fill the whole space then subtract all the material I didn't need. Toward that end I laid thin strips of sheet inside all the open areas then simply traced the openings through the framework onto the sheet strips. They were mounted together so I could pull the whole thing out and draw all the shapes I wanted to keep (or toss) in each hole. The theory is now I can cut them apart and slide a single thin piece into the openings to mimic Triggers' look.
I pulled the template out, drew all the various ovals and fin shapes in pencil on it. I wondered what the best way to remove the open areas would be. I tried a round punch, and then a pin vise with a 1/8 inch bit and a hand file to try to widen the holes to the desired shape. Too inaccurate and too long were the respective verdicts. Then I remembered the spiral saw bit I had with the Dremel stuff. I chucked it in the drill press...
I put some scrap sheet behind it to keep it from flapping too much, and found that if you go slow and work out to the edges like a router it works pretty good.
So, this is where I'm at.
The holes need smoothed a bit yet and all the port and starboard fins will need placed. Lots of fiddly work yet but I think I'll get there this time.