Banner Ad 1

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby the dark knight » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:04 pm

I have some Billet Aluminum left over from my racing days, and was thinking of making the propeller out of this. I could buy a prop, but all the ones I see are brass, and Alfa had a Titanium propeller. I would like for my Alfa to have a silver prop that will not require paint to make it the right color (or close to the right color). Could Billet Aluminum be used to make a propeller, or is there someone that makes Alfa props in a white metal about 2 inches in diameter?
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Not much progress, but it is some. I scored a Futuba 4YF 75mhz radio for 85 bucks!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Lookie what showed up today!!!!

Tested the set out to make sure I did not get ripped off on e-bay. Everything works! It is 75mhz set to channel 84. We can scratch the radio set off the list!

Also have ordered a stainless steel prop from the prop-shop. Pricey, but hopefully it will look good.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Sa-weeet radio! We'll done.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Well done, Jon! That will work well for you.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks guys! I have been watching ebay like a hawk, especially since this particular radio is out of stock and is currently back ordered most places I have looked. I might get a few more if they pop up to use on future projects.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 am

Started the red below the waterline. Looks like this is all the more I will get done paint wise for a while. It is starting to rain, and is supposed to snow tomorrow, and without a place to paint inside, I am at the mercy of the weather. Here is where she sits-

And on that bombshell, I will now shift back to the Delta IV.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Christmas came early today. My propeller from the Prop Shop showed up today.

Stainless steel. :D Cost me a bit more, but I am happy with the result. I want to change a few minor things, mostly the hub, so it matches this one a bit more-

Will this be possible to do? I suppose I can solder the details on? Any ideas anyone? or should I leave it be?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Jon,

Call it a day with the prop. Soldering will, forever, tarnish the surface.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 pm

That is a good point Matt. I did not even think of that. Could I make the tip of the hub out of say, aluminum, cut the hub so it is flat and bolt them together? or would that most likely not be as strong? I might just write it off at this point. I am so close to finished, and I keep making more work for myself.

As for the prop shaft, I have seen some use bearings on the prop shaft, I have seen other's make stuffing boxes with Vaseline acting as a lubricant. What would you guys recommend?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 pm

I use 3/16" SS shafting with oilte bearings exclusively. No grease needed and they last for years.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks Matt! Would you recommend the 3/16" id X 5/16"od X 7/16 od flange x 3/16"long bearing since it has a a flange to act as a thrust bearing?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 pm

As an alternative, I like to use flanged Rulon J bearings. Never need any oiling, extremely friction-free. They can be found at McMaster-Carr in various sizes. Here's an example:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6377k26/=pu8l8z

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks Jeff! Looks like I have a few options. For some reason, I was thinking these bearings were very pricey. However, that does not seem to be the case! Now I wonder what Bearings I was looking at that were so pricey? :?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 am

Jon,

Take a look at the downloadable PERMIT instructions on the Precision Pattern website. It shows a typical installation. I use two types of oilite bearings; radial and thrust. You will see them both installed in the instructions.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads