Good Morning Guys!
Let me start by ashamedly saying that even though I joined the Subcommittee over a year ago, I never took the time to look through the build logs. I’ve read a bunch of the Reports but not the build logs. Well, I finally did today and OMG!!! You guys rock! Incredible models and they actually work. That is super cool and my hat is so off to you guys!
Dark night, your alfa class (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10396
) is spectacular and I’m sure your Delta IV (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11770
) will be too.
Sub culture, your Delphin (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11526
) is wicked!
Tom, I love the Skipjack (Scamp) (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11757
). Nice pix and great video. You might be raising a future videographer there.
If you are reading this, and haven’t seen these threads, I would highly recommend them. I will certainly be following them, now that I know about them.
On the modeling front, my diversion is coming along nicely. All of the planes have been painted and the aluminum (NMF) ones have had a coat of Future sprayed on them in preparation for decals. Going back on my word a bit, here is a picture of the planes and display at this point.
Actually, the last picture is already outdated. The sloped wings on the T-29, T-34 and to a lesser degree on the B-25 have been fixed. It turns out that 3D printed parts sometimes warp like resin parts, and I learned that there is a simple solution. You remold them under hot water. I thought I would try it even though they had been painted and had a coat of Future on them. It worked like a charm, as you can see from this picture of the T-29, which no longer looks like a sea gull.
Decals are next.
While waiting for paint and Future to dry on my diversion, I also made some progress towards completing Batfish. The image below shows Part04 with the projected lines of the bottom Kingston’s clearly seen.
I did the small circle, rectangle and first oval as described before. SA you can see in the image below, there were a lot of segments, so it took quite some time to do.
I wasn’t looking forward to having to do each of the ovals individually, so I thought I would try copying the one I made to the position for the next one.
After I copied it, I had to rotate the top out a bit, but then it worked like a charm.
I did the same thing for the remaining ovals and rectangles.
Once again, symmetry was my friend, and I mirrored the solid shapes to the other side…
…And subtracted them from the part. Sometimes, and I’m not sure that I know why, something doesn’t work quite right and you end up with stray lines shooting into space as seen below.
These strays always occur at a node where two segments meet. To get rid of them I draw a sphere with a radius of 0.0041” at the node…
…And subtract it. That usually gets rid of the stray line. If not I try a 0.0042” radius sphere and that works. The printer won’t see the difference and the drawing looks neater.
The following two images show the completed part.