Banner Ad 1

1/144 Scale USS Batfish (SS310)

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/144 Scale USS Batfish (SS310)

Postby salmon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Grrrrrr. The print head needs to be disassembled because the temperature sensor is not reporting back. Since school has started back up, I have not taken the time to fix. It is on the to-do list.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Ugggg!

Sorry to bring up what must be a sore subject Tom.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Ikes!

Regarding my digression… This post is a model painting question, it just happens to be on dad’s planes.

The Rust-Oleum plastic primer coat went well.

After a great game (for OU fans), I sprayed the aluminum models, like I planned. I used Rust-Oleum American Accents Satin metallic Aluminum and things didn’t go so well, especially for the T-29, but somewhat on the others too. The paint "wrinkled" and I have no idea why. I sprayed them in the garage, which is pretty cold, but the models and paint were warm, and I brought them in as soon as I sprayed them.

Does anybody know what might cause this?

Whatever caused it, it looks like I have some unexpected sanding to do tomorrow. Rats!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 am

Good Morning All!

Last night I started a WIP of the “A Career in Flight” display on the Finescale Modelers Forum. You can find it at:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... 57366.aspx

I won’t digress on it again here, except perhaps to post the completed project or ask modeling questions.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:11 pm

OK, your priming went well, but it is possible that the cold temperatures may have caused your second aluminum coat to wrinkle. The paint may have been partially drying in mid air due to the cold.
I would recommend stripping off the paint, washing the model in water and Simple Green detergent, and redoing the spray. This time, put the can of spray paint in warm (45C-50C water) and let it soak for 15-20 minutes. Also make sure the surface of your model is warm as well.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:26 pm

One thing I do (I learned from painting cars) after I primer, I let it cure for a few days to vent any possible gasses out of the paint. I will then wipe the whole part or model down with 80% isopropyl alcohol before I paint, and then only handle the part with new powder free latex gloves. That will help get any oils off before you paint, and dust. You can also have reactions between primers and paints as well. If I plan to use rustoleum paint, I will use their primer as well. Some primer's do not play well with other manufacturers paints.

Temperature is also key. I learned the hard way by messing up a life sized Darth Vader helmet not to spray in cold weather. I will try to run a space heater for an hour or so where I plan to spray.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks Tom and dark knight!

The consensus seems to be that it was the cold air. The primer went on good, it hadn’t gotten cold yet, and I put the planes on brass rods as soon as I got them and never touched them. True, I didn’t clean the parts like I perhaps should of, but the last step in the 3D printing process is washing the parts and since the primer went on well, I don’t think that was the problem. Good idea about the gloves for future projects though dark knight. Both the plastic primer and paint were made by Rust-Oleum, so I think that rules out incompatibility too.

It had to be the cold. I thought that it might be, but I thought that if I rushed out with the paint and models, painted them, and took them back inside to dry, I would be OK. And I might have been. Things were going good until the last pass with the spray can, which probably wasn’t needed. I think that the first passes of paint went on OK because even though the garage was cold, the models and paint can were still at room temperature. I sprayed the tops and then the bottoms of the planes with no problem. When I went back and sprayed the top the last time, I think that the thin layer of paint I had applied before was probably much colder than the new paint, which was still at room temperature. Physics took over and the thermal gradient skewed the surface tension of the paint. Perhaps?

Anyway Tom, I think stripping and starting over is Plan C. Plan B is sanding them and spraying another coat. I will either wait until it gets warmer, follow dark knights advice and put a space heater in the garage, or take the heat from the CiC and spray them in my office.

Thanks again guys!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm

You are welcome! I look forward to seeing your progress! :D
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:00 pm

UPDATE 132

Good Morning Guys!

Let me start by ashamedly saying that even though I joined the Subcommittee over a year ago, I never took the time to look through the build logs. I’ve read a bunch of the Reports but not the build logs. Well, I finally did today and OMG!!! You guys rock! Incredible models and they actually work. That is super cool and my hat is so off to you guys!

Dark night, your alfa class (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10396) is spectacular and I’m sure your Delta IV (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11770) will be too.

Sub culture, your Delphin (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11526) is wicked!
Tom, I love the Skipjack (Scamp) (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11757). Nice pix and great video. You might be raising a future videographer there.

If you are reading this, and haven’t seen these threads, I would highly recommend them. I will certainly be following them, now that I know about them.

On the modeling front, my diversion is coming along nicely. All of the planes have been painted and the aluminum (NMF) ones have had a coat of Future sprayed on them in preparation for decals. Going back on my word a bit, here is a picture of the planes and display at this point.

Actually, the last picture is already outdated. The sloped wings on the T-29, T-34 and to a lesser degree on the B-25 have been fixed. It turns out that 3D printed parts sometimes warp like resin parts, and I learned that there is a simple solution. You remold them under hot water. I thought I would try it even though they had been painted and had a coat of Future on them. It worked like a charm, as you can see from this picture of the T-29, which no longer looks like a sea gull.

Decals are next.

While waiting for paint and Future to dry on my diversion, I also made some progress towards completing Batfish. The image below shows Part04 with the projected lines of the bottom Kingston’s clearly seen.

I did the small circle, rectangle and first oval as described before. SA you can see in the image below, there were a lot of segments, so it took quite some time to do.

I wasn’t looking forward to having to do each of the ovals individually, so I thought I would try copying the one I made to the position for the next one.

After I copied it, I had to rotate the top out a bit, but then it worked like a charm.

I did the same thing for the remaining ovals and rectangles.

Once again, symmetry was my friend, and I mirrored the solid shapes to the other side…

…And subtracted them from the part. Sometimes, and I’m not sure that I know why, something doesn’t work quite right and you end up with stray lines shooting into space as seen below.

These strays always occur at a node where two segments meet. To get rid of them I draw a sphere with a radius of 0.0041” at the node…

…And subtract it. That usually gets rid of the stray line. If not I try a 0.0042” radius sphere and that works. The printer won’t see the difference and the drawing looks neater.

The following two images show the completed part.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Looking good! I am glad the paint played nice this time!!! And I look forward to seeing more from you!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks Jon, and Hi Everybody! I have missed you guys this past week. I hope everybody’s modeling is going well.

It has been a good week in Norman town. My prospectus is approved and signed off on. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and there’s a chance I could defend in May. Yeeeeaaaahhhh! I can relax and enjoy Christmas.

On the modeling front, I have not gotten anything accomplished on Batfish, because I have been working on Dad’s display. The display is not yet completed, but the models are. I thought you may be interested in seeing them, even if they are wingy things.

The plaques are supposed to be ready today, so there is a chance that the display could be finished tonight.

On another note, Click2Detail (3Delivered), who I have been using to print my parts, is beta testing a website that allows designers to upload and sell their models. You will have the ability set your own commission, upload photos, instructions, videos, decal files or anything else you would like with your product. They asked me if I was interested, so I uploaded the aircraft yesterday. As of this writing, only the AC-47 has been posted.

https://click2detail.com/products/BX/AC-47-Spooky

I don’t know that I will ever sell any, but who knows. Even if I do, I won’t make much money on them. Perhaps I could buy a jar of MM paint. :o) Still, if I sell even one, it would be cool.

If you click on the “Browse Products” tab at the top, you can see the items they have to date. I am sure that there will be more soon.

I was wondering, do you guys think anybody would be interested in buying the masts or other items I have made for either Greenling or Batfish? They are at 1/144 scale, but they could easily be made at other scales. I even considered putting the complete models up, but they would be expensive, and I doubt anybody would be interested. What do you guys think?
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 am

Looking good!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 pm

UPDATE 133

Thanks Jon.

Unfortunately Sooner Trophies did not have the plaques finished Friday, like they said they would, so I won’t be able to complete dad’s display this weekend. That’s OK though, it gave me time to complete the Batfish CAD model.

The only thing I had left to do was add the Bottom Kingstons to Parts05-09. It involved a lot more of what I already showed, so I don’t show all of the steps. Suffice it to say that there were like a bazillion segments.

Here is Part05 from underneath…

…And from the side, after I recolored it.

Here is Part06 from underneath…

Here is Part07 from underneath…

Here is Part08 from underneath…

Finally, here is Part09 from underneath…

Thus concludes the CAD portion of this journey (I think :D ). Hopefully, I will find time to go to the computer lab and put the completed model together in CAD and clip some images of it. The files are too big to do it on my computer, and in fact may be too big for the lab’s computers too. We’ll see.

Of course, I couldn’t have made it this far without all of your help guys.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Looks great!!
Doing a google search for "reduce autocad 3d file size"I found these instructions at the url listed below.
Just make sure if you try this to do it on a copy and not the original file.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8221255&linkID=9240617

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks Scott!

I had run across that BREP command when I did Greenling. In fact when I was working on the bow piece, I got a warning that in order to continue I had to run the BREP command. I had forgotten that it would reduce the file size. I just ran it on the hull parts.

Parts 1-5 (with all attachments except the conning tower/fairwater) went from 57.5MB to 34.1MB and Parts 6-10 (with all attachments, and the torpedo) went from 37MB to 30MB. So just to put the hull components in one drawing would make it 64.1MB. BREP’ing had the biggest impact on the conning tower/fairwater. It went from 42MB to 7.7MB, but some of this reduction came from the deletion of all of the miscellaneous lines. This still makes for a 71MB file, and anything over 40MB really starts slowing my computer down.

The reductions will help even in the lab though, so thanks again Scott!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads