Banner Ad 1

international fun run

Place for general submarine conversation

international fun run

Postby Rick Teskey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:27 am

Good Day
For thoes who can not make the trek too Colorado this comming year.
A group of us are trying too make a 3 day "fun run" in Carmel.
Bare bones, no awards or seminars except we do plan too put out a navigation cource too try your hand at and hone your skills
This is a non SCR event , no politics , no b.s , just fun running and ALL are welcome if you have a submarine .
There will be some things too work out , i.e. dates , tents, tables,or we will have too bring our own tents and tables and look like a gypsy compound so we will look at small donation/ fee too cover rental.
Quite a bit too look into yet but I know we can make this happen.
We are not by any means trying too under mine/ up stage the comming Colorado reggatta or deter any that can make that event as I am sure it will be a Great , this is for the cheap, lazy, unskilled drivers / flyers that cant make it there in one piece and still want too see "old" ( I guess we are all getting there) friends.
I post this here as well as the sub drivers fourm as we are the biggest group of sub drivers in North America/ CANADA... Mexicans are also welcome.
Rick Teskey
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Re: international fun run

Postby Virg » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Sounds like a winner to me, Rick...Count me in!!

Virg
Virg
SubCommittee Member

Postby subdude » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Rick,

Thanks for bringing this up. We were planning on waiting until details were a bit more firm, but might as well get some folks thinking / planning.

The guys at SubRon 8 have taken the lead in trying to put on a fun run in Carmel next year. They, along with the folks in SubComEast have been discussing this for several months now. There are still many things to be discussed, but it is being worked on.

As you said, we are NOT looking to do this to compete with or take away from the official SubRegatta. We are simply looking to have an event that the folks that can't make the trip to Colorado can attend and have fun. And, as with all SubCommittee events, everyone would be welcome, SC member or not. (even Canadians) ;-)

We'll continue working on the details, and post more as it becomes solid.

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 pm

As usual you beat me to the punch Jim. :roll:
We have in fact been talking and planning on having a joint Subron event in Carmel this year for the people who can't make the official Subregatta.
Just like the CO members and CA members do in their parts of the country as most of them can't attend the Carmel event.
Like Rick said it is a chance to see old friends that you only get to see at these events.
I think the idea of moving the official regatta around is only fair.
But this should not keep members that can not attend from having an outing.

As my buddy Jim likes to say I am just a non official peon and this is only in the planning stages with many hurtles to overcome. :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Count me in for the fun.

Bob
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 am

Yay! Good for you guys! I TOLD you you should try to put something like this together when I was with you this summer, and I know you can do it. You SHOULD do it; if we out here on the Coast can have our big annual Fall Fun Run in San Fran, you too should have your yearly soiree at whatever venue you want. I only hope at least some of you can make Colorado too. And BTW to any doubters: any gathering of SC members IS an Official SubCommittee Event, so fly those SubRon banners high and take lots of pix and consider some article coverage for the SCR afterward, puh-leez!

Go forth and conquer—or rather, Good Luck and Good Hunting,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rick Teskey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 am

Good day
My point was too make this a non scr event and have any and all sub drivers feel welcome and have fun.
I extend an olive branch and someone runs for the pruning shears
I guess my idea for a utopian fun run was just a crack induced dream, chasing the dragons tail, and some bridges are never ment too be rebuilt.
I will still welcome anyone one with a sub too come and have fun but leave the politics at home .
If the SCR is back in the black can we kick in a few buck towards the tent?
Rick
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby subdude » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Rick,

It's being called a SC event because:
a. the guys doing the work are subron members
and more importantly
b. by being a SC sanctioned event, we're covered by the $2,000,000 SubCommittee insurance as almost every site requires.

No need to bring out pruning shears. There's nothing political. I said it in my first post, and will repeat it here:

EVERYONE IS WELCOME. EVERYONE. PERIOD.

I too will gladly welcome ANYONE who comes with a sub and wants to play.

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks, Jim. Exactly my point. And just to be Perfectly Clear: the West Coast Fall Fun Run (SanFran), f'rinstance, although technically a SubCommittee event, sports many regular participants who are NOT members (though a few are just not current members—despite gentle lobbying on my part), and some of them are even—GASP!—skimmer runners only! See? Again, ALL ARE WELCOME. No politics there.

Long live the newly founded Carmel Summer Fun Run,
JeffP

P.S. I only suggest eventual SCR photo coverage because everybody always wants to see everyone else's boats. At least I know I do.
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bruce Martin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 am

Well, the bell has been rung, I know that from my side of the bridge,. we are all good to go, and will help in any way that we can. :D Yes there are a few details to work out , but in this day and age nothing is impossible. Already have had conversation with some at the Rochester gang, and the conversation will continue till this happens.
We are going to meet with them in Jan for a run, so I know the talk will focus around that issue.

Later Bruce :D :D
Bruce Martin
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:23 pm

I think this is a super idea to keep the activity in Carmel going. If there is enough gap on the calendar between the Carmel Fun Run and the 2014 SubRegatta in Keystone, Colorado, there are many of us who plan on attending the SubRegatta that would like to attend the fun run in Carmel as well. Count me in!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby lhdockyard1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:15 pm

With regard to money for the tent, tables and chairs the Subron 8 group has a few ideas to generate money for the event and an anonymous investor to cover any shortfall so money for these items shouldn't be an issue. That takes one big headache off the table so we can concentrate on planning the event and then having fun at it once the date arrives.

Don S (AKA Don3)
Loyalhanna Dockyard
lhdockyard1
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:13 pm

JefftyToo wrote:Thanks, Jim. Exactly my point. And just to be Perfectly Clear: the West Coast Fall Fun Run (SanFran), f'rinstance, although technically a SubCommittee event, sports many regular participants who are NOT members (though a few are just not current members—despite gentle lobbying on my part), and some of them are even—GASP!—skimmer runners only! See? Again, ALL ARE WELCOME. No politics there.

Long live the newly founded Carmel Summer Fun Run,
JeffP

P.S. I only suggest eventual SCR photo coverage because everybody always wants to see everyone else's boats. At least I know I do.

You know Jeff.
Color me weird. :shock:
But I have always looked forward to seeing project boats more than a finished boat.
It must be the closet engineer in me wanting to know more about how and why it works than how it looks.
I am the same way with cars. Shiny cars are a dime a dozen but show me a rare basket case and I am all over it. :mrgreen:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:29 pm

I hear you, Mr. Weird Hue. ;^D Actually, I agree: I like to see BOTH built and project boats, though I admit I do weigh in more on the side of finished eye candy. Still, I'll bet there'll be enough completed AND unbuilt boats in residence in Carmel to make everyone happy! I'm just thrilled you guys are putting this thing together. Be sure to get Kerry Addington involved, since he LIVES THERE and should be off those crutches and able to pitch in this time. (Apologies, Kerry.)

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 pm

BTW, Big Dave: You think YOU'RE weird? I'M the guy whose favorite shots from his own SanFran coverage in the new SCR are the two of me 'n' Jones modeling our Regatta tees!

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General