Banner Ad 1

Marlin SS-T2, 1/35 scratchbuilt

R/C Submarine modelers

Marlin SS-T2, 1/35 scratchbuilt

Postby Pedro Gómez » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:39 am

Hi Folks!
The Marlin SST- 2 was a submarine built for the USN which had as mission the training of destroyers and submarines crew's. He had a twin brother, the Mackerel SST- 1. The Marlin was launched on 14/10/1953 and was in service until 31/01/0973 .

The model that I’ve built had its origin in the acquisition by a friend, the one second-hand Subtech's kit , but incomplete, and he asked me to do him, a fiber-epoxy hull. Although the model initially didn’t attracted me, my interest changed when after a request to the Subcommittee colleagues for images of this submarine , I were very surprised when Warren Wilson, he mailed me about 60 pictures of the boat in its current location , the Naval Memorial at Freedom Park in Nebraska. So, with this valuable documentation , I thought that sooner or later would deserve to spend some " hundreds " of hours.
TYVM Warren!!

But, contrasting the kit measures with the real measurements of the ship, and especially by the photos , I saw that in the design kit it is 20 mm minor in length for the bow before the anchor. I add this 20 mm with epoxy putty . Also was manufactured with resin and fiber one of the two " balconies " by the bows, whose piece of kit was missing.

The construction method was the one that I'm usually : the original prototype (in this case the kit modified), a negative mold , formed in this case for 6 pieces , made of polyester fiber glass . Subsequently it is laminated on two half-hulls with epoxy fiberglass, that after demolding , join , cut the hull from the waterline, and added the frames bow and stern, the deck and polycarbonate deck hatches flanged, silicone gasket and stainless steel screws .

An extra work done in this model , given the excellent documentation that I have , was plating around the hull, like the original , with aluminum sheets to mark the mounting screws with a toothed wheel . Previously I draw a plane of the distribution of sheets , in view of the photographs . This detailed system though laborious , gives a lot of realism to the model.

Later I was adding different materials to the submarine , all the details that are seen in the photos, and particularly: hatches , sonar , radar , periscope , retractable bow planes, torpedo tube and lights. All these details would be functional through servos, crazy servos and the 16-Multiswitch from Robbe.
It features:
-Position lights
-front and rear deep planes, retractable bow planes
-sonar turns
-radar turns
-periscope up and down
-torpedo tube with neumatic firing and electric torpedo

Immersion in this model combines dynamic immersion and static immersion . For that one, this time I used a peristaltic pump. I had excellent experience with this type of pump used for many years in my VIIC U -256 in his pitch control system , initially with a "scratch" peristaltic pump powered by a crazy servo driven, and after with the pump than a few time I discovered : the peristaltic pump of the submarine Neptune Thunder Tiger’s, by Tower Hobbies. The Neptune’s pump is relatively inexpensive, reliable , robust, and very low power consumption , less than one amp at 12V . It does not require isolation valve and also gives a lot of pressure and can blow a 5 meters deep ( 0.5 kg/cm2 of counterpressure ).
The pump is controlled reversibly by a Robbe DuoSwitch, and a failsafe servo connected, so that the loss of radio, which occurs if or below 3 m, or depending on the concentration of chlorine in swimming pools , blowing pump ballast bag , to recover the signal . The system is foolproof .

With this system of ballast - control , the submarine can control its position in immersion , by varying weight, extremely precisely . So, any change in the density of water in which we move , because of the depth , temperature, dissolved salts , dirt , etc etc, water , corresponding thrust variation, can be controlled with the filling or emptying of the bag ( type plasma blood ) with very precise amounts , milligrams. No other system makes this so simple accurate and up to 5 meters deep.
Therefore the system of "regulation" by peristaltic pump, for me, it is the more cheapest and reliable and accurate in everything I've seen and tasted in 25 years of experience on this world .

The submarine equipped also an Multiswitch Robbe - 16 to control all the gadgets that I mentioned, and a magnetic switch for on-off.
The ship carries 5000 mA battery and two 2000mA batteries for the receiver and servos , all NiMh , with which autonomy is more than three hours.

Pedro Gómez
SubCommittee Member

Re: Marlin SS-T2, 1/35 scratchbuilt

Postby Mwd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Pedro, nice build.
Looks really god in the water. Nice detailwork.
I wich that i had an pool to run my sub when that day comes.
Coulld you please give more details about the "peristaltic pump of the submarine Neptune"?
I.m building a scratchbuild and i´m looking fore a good pumpsystem. This might be what i´m looking fore?
Do you know how much the "Neptun bladder" kan take in terms of volyme? I need aprox 1,2 liter.
I only found the pumphouse om the Tower Hobby Site.
Is there a complete unit with motor as well?
Would reallt apreciate your help.

Rgs

Mats W
Mwd
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Pedro,
I applaud you, very nice work! You did a fine job of putting that sub together.
Peace,
tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Yes, very nice job building this sub.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pedro Gómez » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:00 am

Hi Folks, Hi Mwd :D :D :
Thank you very much for your comments.
Yes Mwd, The Neptune's peristaltic pump is a good way to fit an static control deep system. It can runs at 12 V cc or less (6V cc), and can surface your boat at 5 m deep. It has a very low consumption, moreless 1 A.
The bladder from Neptune is moreless 400 cc. If you need 1.2 l, there are physiological saline bags of 1 l capacity. You can try to find them used in hospitals or in hospital suppliers.
Tower Hobbies sells as spare parts the pump. You need: the motor spare part, the pump spare part and the mounting. You can also buy the bladder and the fittings. I know this site is cheeper than others.
With this pump you can achieve the zero buoyancy, and after, you can stay your sub at a fixed deep because the pump can load or unload very small quantities of water in your trim tank.
For me is the best: accurate, cheap, and reliable. :idea:
If you need more help, you can mailme at pedrogomezu256@gmail.com
Best Regards
Pedro Gómez
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 am

Hi Pedro,

please be aware that posting your email like this might cause spammers to send you a lot of spam.

you might want to "code" the email address so it does not look too much of an email address
e.g. like "pedrogomezu256 at google's email service".

this way the automated scripts the spammers use to find adresses will not detect your email address
and you will get less spam

I like your boats very much ! what sign is on the side of the marlin ?
it almost looks like the sign of the swedish navy.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for sharing your work! I think i may get a few of those pumps to play around with, thanks for pointing them out.

Dave
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pedro Gómez » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:03 am

Hi Ronald:
Yes thank you for your advice. I take note.
In the sides of the tower, I put the emblem of the Marlin, I take it from internet.

Best Regards
Pedro Gómez
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler