Banner Ad 1

(WTB) Thor Alfa Propeller

Have any sub 'stuff' to sell or trade?

(WTB) Thor Alfa Propeller

Postby the dark knight » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am

Hello,

I am currently looking for a Thor Alfa propeller in white metal. I am close to completing a 1/72nd scale scratch built Alfa, and would like an accurately colored propeller to go with my submarine.

Thank you,

Jon
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Re: (WTB) Thor Alfa Propeller

Postby Sub culture » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm

I think Prop shop will do a suitable prop for that boat. It will be more expensive than a white metal prop, but you can choose to have it investment cast in silicone bronze, aluminium or stainless steel (the choice is yours at the time of ordering), this will be be much stronger than white metal, which I find are very easy to bend in use. The quality is top notch, and the prop will come polished and balanced. Simon will tap the prop to the thread of your choice, or you can have it unthreaded if you prefer a grub screw or pinning the prop to the shaft.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:31 pm

I was not aware they did them in stainless. Thank you Sub Culture! I will give them a second look. My biggest issue is color. Alfa used a titanium prop, and brass props on an Alfa drive my OCD up the wall! :lol:

Edit: just checked the website. They do not list a stainless prop for the Alfa. (5 blade, left handed). I can email them and see.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Simon will do any of his range of props (not all are listed on the website BTW, he has hundreds of different types) in stainless, bronze or aluminium. Just email him and ask for a quote.

The price will be a little higher for stainless than the other metals, because it takes a bit more work to finish off.

Don't discount aluminium, although weaker than stainless and bronze it's very much stronger than white metal, and considerably lighter than the other metals meaning less strain on the bearings and quieter running. It's also likely to be cheaper than stainless or bronze. You have the option of anodizing the surface to harden it a bit and also protect against corrosion.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Thank you Sub Culture! I emailed him Friday, and hope to hear back from them.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Simon is a one man band, and he does tend to be very tardy in responding to emails, it's usually best to pick up the telephone and call him.

Also be prepared to chase your order, as he is known to let them slip past and has a bit of a reputation for doing so.

Having said that he has never charged me for an order until it's posted, and I've been very satisfied with the quality of the items received.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 pm

That is good to know! Thank you for the heads up. I placed the order with them, so no longer will be needing a prop.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubSwap