Banner Ad 1

1/96th scale Delta IV

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/96th scale Delta IV

Postby the dark knight » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm

I am excited to announce a new project. The one submarine that has been missing from our model list for years has been the Delta IV. This is my favorite SSBN, and because of it's absence I have decided to model the submarine. Thor will be doing the CNC of the master, and I will be making new plans and a 3d model for us to work from. Currently I have the side elevation view done in CAD. After reviewing many different versions of the Delta IV, I have made the elevation drawings match K-407, the latest Delta IV to be upgraded in 2012. Here is a sneak peak of the real K-407-

I am so excited to be working on my favorite submarine. I will post progress as it is made. ;)

(I will of course continue to work on Alfa as well)
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Re: 1/96th scale Delta IV

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Here's some photos of a static model of an upgraded Delta IV with the new R-29RMU Sineva equiped Delta IV submarines vs. the older R-29RM Shtil missiles. Several below the waterline features are different. most notably bulges (marked) along the sides of the bottom to accommodate the new missiles:

Model:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Tom! The more information, the better! I had read about the bulges, but do not have any clear pictures of that bulge up close. Your pictures will help out a great deal!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby bwi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:14 pm

The delta IV will be my next build to after the Akula. I'm streaming the WWW for Pic's quite a while. I have quite a few now. The only thing I'm missing are the sections. I have the same Pic as Tom but without the crowd so you can see the bulge even better. The other one is at a different angle.

Good luck!

Grtz,
Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
]"Samuel Smiles"
bwi
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 pm

This kit is going to go well with our 1/96th Oscar II and the new Victor III kit we are developing for Tom Spettel of the Colorado crew. All of these will be in 1/96th scale.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Thank you all for the pictures. I, much like most of the other Delta IV fans out there, have been collecting pictures of them for years. Every picture will help! I also think Delta IV will be the perfect mate for the Oscar II and Victor III.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Vepr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Based on a Russian model of a Delta IV and some pictures I have, the bulge on the upgraded Delta IVs is a bit different than the one shown on the pictures of the Alanger Delta IV posted above. On the real submarine, the bulge makes the bottom of the submarine flat. Here's a (semi-crappy) drawing of what I mean.
Working on: 1/350 Yasen
1/350 Delta IV
1/350 Oscar II
1/350 Sturgeon
1/350 Permit
1/72 Type VIIC
Vepr

Postby Thor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks very much for the drawing!

Here is a link to a modeler who did a very fine job correcting the many errors in the Alanger kit, including the missile casing bulge.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 0&start=40

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Very good! That is what I have been leaning toward during my research. What some people identify as the bulges that are higher up the hull, I think is a sonar array or some sort of sensor. Thank you for the information!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Jon,

What 'bulges' are you referring to? I don't see anything that would indicate a flank array....

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Wow, I should not post when I am exhausted. Sorry Matt, I am thinking of a different sub, not Delta. Duh. :lol:

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 pm

I hear you, Jon! I do that all the time...
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:36 pm

progress report.

I think I am satisfied with the side elevation. Let me know what you guys think of it. I changed some more things today on the elevation drawings to match the pictures so far.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:39 am

More work done today!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:43 am

Oh Boy, a build thread to follow! If it's anything like your alfa, it's going to be a fun journey. :)
Your drawings look cool. What program are you using?
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Builder Threads