Banner Ad 1

Submariners Psych Test

Place for general submarine conversation

Submariners Psych Test

Postby Johnredearth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:01 pm

I am thinking of doing a personality test of model submariners. I have long held the suspicion that we / I have a particular profile in comparison to the model boating fraternity.

Scale modelers: Quiet, contemplative and detailed people who like to be admired in front of others although relatively short tempered and not good at human relationships. Very reliable people, but not exciting. When they do get excited they also get repetitive and boring. Love cricket.

Steam boaters. (Add paddle wheelers of all types here) Completely obsessive about their hobby. Nothing else matters when a steam engine is being heated up. Tend to have anger problems when their boats get stuck. A bit like Vogons. (Refer Hitchhikers guide etc) Cricket

Warship modelers (The combative model types). They mainly come from America and are members of the NRA. They are not dangerous though as they have this outlet, and do not have the confidence to become real social problems. Tend ‘not to have really grown up,’ and watch old war movies where there are real baddies and goodies. Love football.

Fast boat modelers: Inherent show offs, however not secure enough to be outgoing in relationships. The speed and the ‘shock and awe’ of the model boat does the speaking for the modeler. Needless to say they rely on this. A bit unreliable, as unless there is acknowledgement in what they commit to, it is unlikely to be done. Don’t like sport.

Yachties: Very competitive and arrogant. Tend to like the ‘right of way’ rule too much on the water and in life. Appreciative of the environment but if ‘anything gets in the way hard luck’ still prevails. They all talk about the ‘real thing’ even though some of them have never sailed a real yacht. They have a deep feeling of disappointment or disenchantment about something in their life. Love golf.

Submariners: Very smug people. Willing to risk humiliation for the excitement of surprising others, however this is unlikely to be a social phenomenon. They like to disappear in social settings and suddenly surface with witty ideas and then disappear again. Very good game players, although they will twist the rules and lie to win. They are loners who gather in isolated places to just do their individual thing together, and then leave. Tend to have ‘arrangements’ rather than relationships.

Any additions to this?
Johnredearth
SubCommittee Member

Re: Submariners Psych Test

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 am

Based on my observations as a part of several of the modeling 'communities' that you have listed, I can only say that I could not disagree with you more as to your group characteristics. What have you based this on?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I can only say that I could not disagree with you more as to your group characteristics

Agree with Jeff on the above. I have seen all types in IPMS (scale modelers) and all types in the SubCommittee.

I will say, you got one thing right in the submarine description for me. I do love Golf! Here is one of my favorite Golfs:

Can't actually stand the sport of golf...chasing a small, white ball
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm thinking (hoping) that the first post was a bit tongue-in-cheek to prompt responses. More good humor than good research, for sure.

In my experience, RC submariners, or at least the successful ones with more than a few boats under their belts need to be patient, mechanically inclined, and adept at problem solving. Through my site I've corresponded with all types, and if any of those factors are absent, odds are great they won't get beyond pulling the parts out of the box and gluing their hands together a bit...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Return to General