Banner Ad 1

I've just joined and saying hi to everyone

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: I've just joined and saying hi to everyone

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:29 am

Dai,

Can we get some answers to the many questions that have been asked as folks have tried to help you?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:03 pm

sam reichart wrote:Just saw this post.
Welcome, first off...

Second, that's a beautiful model. Nice version of Bob's Type VII with the later conning tower/deck/schnorkel...

Have you asked the person from whom you purchased the model for any direction/help? (Who built this one; does anyone know?)

Did your friend get the bugs worked out?

I was wondering what the access hatch and valve were for... does this have working torpedos as well?

He said the model was ok...He hasn't worked on it yet and yes one torpedo tube works..Got to get it sorted it pains ne to see it sat in its box..
Dai

Dai

Postby Dai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 pm

If I knew how to access the inner workings I could have a go at fixing it myself..I'm asking my mate if I could watch him work on it as it seems a nightmare to work on..Sorry for the lack of replies but until he has worked on it I cant supply the answers....
Dai

Dai

Postby sam reichart » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 am

Something's weird there.
The OTW ballast systems should not be a nightmare to work on. They are well built, and everything is neatly done when Bob gets done with them. I suspect something else is going on inside there.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 am

Someone needs to remove the dive module and battery from the hull to do some simple testing. Place the dive module in a tub of water and test the ballast system to see whether or not it is pumping water. At this point we are not talking 'rocket science', but rather some simple diagnostic obervational testing that cannot be done while the boat is in the water.

If whomever is doing the testing can provide some answers to the many questions already posed, we may be able help.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dai » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:21 pm

No worries gents..He should be having the sub in a week and all questions should be answerd..
Dai

Dai

Postby Dai » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Right gents...Sorry for keeping you hanging on, the original lad who was going to sort it out let me down...The sub will be getting sorted next week, so I'll post an update of what was wrong with her..Once again sorry..
Dai

Dai

Postby SubICman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 pm

When it gets sorted out, it will a snap to work on it. Based on you said you hear the pump running but nothing is happening, it sounds like there is an obstruction in the pump or line, or the valve is not actuating. The system uses a self priming pump, so that shouldn't be an issue. The biggest thing to pay attention to is the 3 probes in the ballast area. If they are black, then the pump controller will not work properly. The upper probe stops the pump when the tank is full, and the bottom 2 allow the pump to operate to pump out water, if they are not conducting then the pump will not empty the tank. They are pretty easy to clean. There are a lot of people on here operating one of Bob's systems, I am sure any one of us can assist you if you need it. The stuck rudder can be as easy as a broken linkage or it could be a bad servo, although i have only seen a bad servo 2 times over all, that doesn't mean i can't happen.

Tim
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)
SC #3116
SubICman
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Cheers in advance...
Dai

Dai

Previous

Return to General