Banner Ad 1

2.4ghz Tx/Rx question newbie

R/C Submarine modelers

2.4ghz Tx/Rx question newbie

Postby blithespirit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Hello guys , I am an R/C flyer who went to boats and now want to try submarines, my first submarine is the Revell 1/72 VIIC with a WTC from a company called RC Sub Workshop in china, they seem to get good reviews and its my first test of the hobby so was was looking for something kind of in the right place.

The radios I use for flying and boats are 2.4ghz and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using it for submarines. Any advice on what depth I can expect or where to place things would be great.

I have read a bit where i can find and purchased "model submarine technology" plus reference books on the VIIC and while I whittle the flood holes from the Revell kit I intend to go slow and do it right.

Any other advice for a newbie on this kit and radio?

Thanks in advance

Paul
How long is that piece of string really?
blithespirit
SubCommittee Member

Re: 2.4ghz Tx/Rx question newbie

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the SubCommittee and to the world of r/c subs!

For r/c subs we are not able to use the 2.4GHz spectrum as the signal will not penetrate water to any measurable depth. Since it looks like you are in the UK, you will need to look for a radio that's in the 35/40MHz frequency spectrum.

For the 'model submarine technology' book, is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MODEL-SUBMARINE-TECHNOLOGY/dp/1900371324/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378406634&sr=8-2&keywords=Model-Submarine-Technology

There are loads of books available about the Type VIIC U-boat. I'd start on Amazon, in this case the U./s. one...

http://www.amazon.com/Type-VIIC-U-Boot-SUPER-DRAWINGS/dp/8361220771/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378406871&sr=1-7&keywords=type+vii+u-boat

Depending on what aspect of the Type VII you are interested in, there are lots of additional books.

-hope this helps as a start,

Jeff

p.s. Don't forget to check out the Type VII child forum here on the SC forum site.
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby blithespirit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Thank you for that information, yes that's the book I ordered.

My radio is Futaba FF9 which has 35mhz and 2.4ghz modules, I will put one of my 35mhz RX in the submarine.

There is no R/C clubs or flying near the pool I use so no bleed over, I was going to sell the module but I am glad I kept it now.

So I have a good system now as far as control goes and may end up with two VIIC, one to learn the basics as it is so nice I may go dep on the detail on one, I have seen some fantastic creations out there.

Thanks again

Paul
blithespirit
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Although I agree that the exclusivity of the 35mhz band to aircraft is probably becoming less relevant these days with most flyers switching to 2.4ghz, it is still illegal to use 35mhz for ground based craft. You can get hold of a 40mhz module for your FF9 transmitter quite inexpensively if you look for a secondhand unit, and receivers are fairly easy to find, so there isn't much of an excuse for breaking the law and running on the lower frequency band.

A synth module for instance (no crystal required if you get a synth RX too)- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-PK-FSM ... 232e7c1acf
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby blithespirit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I will pick up a 40mhz module as you suggest .

May as well keep safe, sell my 35mhz to und it and my 35mhz RX. Shoud give me bank roll.

Thanks for the help
blithespirit
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the update/correction, Andy. When looking at the UK regs for this, I didn't see a specific notation that said 35MHz was illegal. Though I did see the 40MHz only for surface notation.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby blithespirit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Now, I cannot find a suitable certified module in 40mhz for the FF9. I am looking for 40mhz transmitters but it does not look good.

i imagine I need at least 3 channel but they are like rocking horse dung.

What transmitters do people use and recommend for use please?

Money is not an issue as I would rather get it right.

Thanks
blithespirit
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:45 pm

35mhz is for aircraft use only. Use of it on surface vehicles is against the law. I'm aware not everyone is aware of that, and it's not helped by the fact that laws differ throughout the European countries. We are fortunate in the UK to have one of the most generous allowances for frequencies, some countries have much tighter restrictions.

Taken directly from the UK radio control council.

35MHz Band - for Airborne use only in U.K.

Frequency band approved in U.K. - 34.945 to 35.305MHz.

Frequency flag - Orange flag with channel number in black.

This band is for airborne use only in the U.K.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Can you not use the module I linked to in my earlier post?

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby blithespirit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:57 pm

No, apparently that module is for use in the PK transmitters only and will not work in h FF9/9C

Would have been a great find, I can find lots of rx's with 4 channel but no blooming modules to link them to my transmitter

All the transmitters look cheap junk that get black wire in three weeks.

I would like a quality set which is reliable so willing to pay if I get some recommendations from you guys.

Thanks
blithespirit
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Here's another then, not synthesized, but listed as compatible with your TX.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUTABA-40MHZ- ... 58a43c3c08

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-FP-PK- ... 1e7e6d9a8b

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm

don't be so fast ignoring the PK based module. yes Futaba has only certified it for the pistol style radios, and therefore is unable to specifically state that it can be used in your ff9/9c, but it will in fact work in the stick style radios. futaba makes the identical module in 75mhz synthesized configuration for US radios (certified specifically for the 3pks), but i have several of them i have purchased and use in my futaba 9cap. futaba will not condone or warrant its use, but it will work fine.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Lots of good deals for used Graupner MC-19 40mHz transmitters in the UK and all of Europe.
I have one that is converted to 75MHz and 2.4GHz. They have a computer screen for marine, surface and aircraft.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 am

tsenecal wrote:don't be so fast ignoring the PK based module. yes Futaba has only certified it for the pistol style radios, and therefore is unable to specifically state that it can be used in your ff9/9c, but it will in fact work in the stick style radios. futaba makes the identical module in 75mhz synthesized configuration for US radios (certified specifically for the 3pks), but i have several of them i have purchased and use in my futaba 9cap. futaba will not condone or warrant its use, but it will work fine.

I agree with Tim on this - I've also got a couple of the 75MHz versions of this module and use them in my 9ZAP and W-FLY transmitters without issue. It's worth trying to get hold of.
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby blithespirit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 am

For the price it is worth trying, if it does not work I have lost nothing.

Thanks for all your help.

I do love my FF9/9CAP so it definitely worth trying to keep it.
blithespirit
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler