Banner Ad 1

speed controls

R/C Submarine modelers

speed controls

Postby subsurface53 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 pm

What is every body using for speed controls in there subs? I have a used OTW WTC for the OTW TYPE XXIII and it has a Msonik sub 10 in it that does not work and I need to replace it. Is it a good speed controller? It has built in BEC with it. I have been out of the sub building for some years and am getting back into it again and need to get up to speed with the new stuff out there. I used VANTEC RET 44 not water proof and no BEC, that's how long ago I was building subs.

Thanks Dave
subsurface53
SubCommittee Member

Re: speed controls

Postby Jacobsenra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 am

Go to Horizon Hobby and take a look at PRB3358. This is a super nice esc that is fully waterproof, with a 40amp rating and works fine up to 12volts. Has a nice low end startup and fully proportional fwd and reverse. Also long and skinny so it fits good in most subs WTC's. Also has a good bec.

Bob Jacobsen
Jacobsenra
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 am

I use microgyros ESC's in all my brushed models. Very good controllers, about $35.

www.microgyros.com
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 am

I have been using the Mtroniks line of ESCs for several years now. They have worked work very reliably for me. They're not the only brand of ESCs out there, many of which are also very good, but I wouldn't hesitate to replace the failed unit with a new one of the same type/size.

My OTW Type XXIII has the same ECS in it has has given me flawless performance.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:40 pm

My MTronics 15 Amp just exploded during bench testing. Third one to do so.

I second Andy's promo of MicroGyro products..they're awesome!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:My MTronics 15 Amp just exploded during bench testing.

They'll do that if you connect power to the ESC backwards. :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Gents,

They'll poop/ poof themselves when properly wired up to the battery, too! My Marlin's Sub10 stank up my house pretty well @ 6 weeks ago. It was connected properly. I replaced it with another one from a spare cylinder I have. Was weird, because the bad one had worked very well up until the magic smoke leaked out of it at high velocity and with an impressive plume!!!

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:48 pm

I think the mtroniks ESC's use a different method of switching the Mosfets to the Microgyros. The latter are optically switched, which makes them very robust.

I have been using these controllers now for over a decade, and never had to send one back. I've seen a number of mtroniks fail, sometimes in benign ways, like high resistance output stages, and in more spectacular ways, although that is usually because the owners haven't fused the power lead- always fuse them. In some cases I've recommended the owners try the microgyros ESC's, and they never go back after that.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby mike stothers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 am

subsurface53 wrote:What is every body using for speed controls in there subs? I have a used OTW WTC for the OTW TYPE XXIII and it has a Msonik sub 10 in it that does not work and I need to replace it. Is it a good speed controller? It has built in BEC with it. I have been out of the sub building for some years and am getting back into it again and need to get up to speed with the new stuff out there. I used VANTEC RET 44 not water proof and no BEC, that's how long ago I was building subs.

Thanks Dave

Dave,OTW now uses a MicroGros FR40.Waterproof, with a 40amp rating and works fine up to 24 (ish)volts. Has a nice low end startup and fully proportional fwd and reverse. Also long and skinny so it fits good in most subs WTC's. Also has a good bec. :)

Bob,I gave a long winded reply with all the tech details to an email question from Andy on 24th of last November.Perhaps he will redact,translate and forward to you.
Or,in short,those squeeky high frequency escs that exploded don't like extended supply cables with high power motors.They would need an additional low esl capacitor close to the esc input.
mike stothers

Postby roedj » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:25 am

mike stothers wrote:
subsurface53 wrote:What is every body using for speed controls in there subs? I have a used OTW WTC for the OTW TYPE XXIII and it has a Msonik sub 10 in it that does not work and I need to replace it. Is it a good speed controller? It has built in BEC with it. I have been out of the sub building for some years and am getting back into it again and need to get up to speed with the new stuff out there. I used VANTEC RET 44 not water proof and no BEC, that's how long ago I was building subs.

Thanks Dave

Dave,OTW now uses a MicroGros FR40.Waterproof, with a 40amp rating and works fine up to 24 (ish)volts. Has a nice low end startup and fully proportional fwd and reverse. Also long and skinny so it fits good in most subs WTC's. Also has a good bec. :)

Bob,I gave a long winded reply with all the tech details to an email question from Andy on 24th of last November.Perhaps he will redact,translate and forward to you.
Or,in short,those squeeky high frequency escs that exploded don't like extended supply cables with high power motors.They would need an additional low esl capacitor close to the esc input.

What is an esl capacitor? What value?

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby mike stothers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 am

roedj wrote:What is an esl capacitor? What value?

Dan

Just a mistype as I'm always on the lookout for low esl ceramics.
What Bob should use is a low esr electrolytic with voltage,price and size of more importance.
There isn't anything much there to start with.
mike stothers

Return to R/C Modeler