Good Morning Guys!
I had a long productive night on Batfish doing the wood deck for Part 3.
As I had already copied the tracings of significant objects to the wood deck template, the first thing I did was copy Part 3 to the file.
This was followed by slicing it to match the part…
…Then extruding the wood deck outline through it (I guess I could have done this just once for the whole template, but oh well)…
...And using the Intersect command to create the Part 3 wooden deck.
The image below shows the various items on the deck (some mislocated as it turned out, but more on that later). The salvage air (SA) plates (thanks again Scott) are magenta the toroidal hydrophone is blue, various access hatches are green and the torpedo loading skid is in red (as are the cleat base outlines.
Two of the SA’s are shown below. The bottom one is as traced, the top one was stretched to match the battens.
In the image below, I have copied the top one down, rotated it, and stretched it to match the battens (magenta). The original tracing is cyan.
In the next image (perhaps a little confusing) the cyan outline on top is the magenta outline on the bottom that has been copied and rotated. This outline will be used for all the SA’s on the ship as it will fit with the battens no matter how it is aligned. This is modeler’s license at its finest.
Next I extruded all of the outlines through the deck…
…And subtracted them.
Next I copied the uncut Part 3 template (which I had copied to the side) over the top of the cut one…
…And subtracted the cut one from the uncut one to make the cutouts in 2 easy steps.
I then separated the items and deleted all but the hatches and torpedo loading skid (I forgot to delete the cleat base outline).
Next, I moved the cutouts back to the wood deck…
…And started detailing the skid and “Hatch No. 1”, first cutting a 0.008” slice out of the forward end of the hatch, and then preparing to add the hinge. The one on the top right was copied from the wildcat access hatch and it was too small, so I made it longer (lower left).
I extruded the long one…
…And copied it to the other side.
Next I copied a handle hole outline, again from the wildcat access hatch to the proper position on the hatch and copied it to the other side. I also cut a 0.008” slot between the skid and hatch and along the angled lines and aft end of the skid…
…Then extruded and subtracted the handle holes.
Next, I added the skid hinge by first extruding a circle…
…Then lowering the circle into the deck until it was just above the surface.
At this point I realized that I had incorrectly located a few items. They were mirror images of where they should have been. The reason for this I think was that I was looking at the drawing from the underside. I discovered this because the frigging letters were bass-ackwards. So I had to redo a lot of what I had just done. In the image below, the outlines for hatches 2 (right) and 3 (left) have been extruded.
Fortunately, I didn’t have to move the remaining hatch, instead I had to mirror it because hatches 4 and 5 are the same. The image below shows everything corrected and the cleat notches removed.
The image below shows the 0.008” wide extrusions along the forward and aft edges of the No. 2 hatch over the battery cell to better define it. Note that I also slightly changed the hinge area of the skid.
The extrusions were subtracted and handle holes were prepared…
…And subtracted from the hatch.
This process was repeated for hatches 3, 4, and 5, and hinges were added to them. On hatches 4 and 5 you can see that my seat of the pants design of the hinge closely matches the tracings from the plans (green).
With the detailing work mostly completed, I copied the whole thing to the part.
As with part 2, the deck had to be rotated for alignment due to the slope of the deck. And as before after the wood deck was aligned with the part deck, I moved it up, then lowered it in small increments into the hull subtracting it as I went. The image below shows the deck cutout without the wooden deck in place. Note that the SA’s and cleat bases are high and dry to the cuts I made in the wood deck.
The image below shows the wood deck in place.
The last image shows it joined to the part.
I should point out that although I have attached the wood deck to the part, I am saving the parts in a separate file prior to joining them. The reason I am doing this is because I am thinking that I might need to make all or part of the deck separate parts to avoid having distinct seam lines where the parts join. More on this later.