Banner Ad 1

Question for owners of R/C NAUTILOI

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby modelnut » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:01 pm

Have you been able to get your sub to run on the surface fast enough to get that great lookin' effect as seen in the movie?

The glowing eyes under a buckle of water?

Just curious,
-Leelan :D
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:03 pm

If you get one of those new turbine engines. :laugh:
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:51 pm

I had the 4 ft. JetNautilus out for a run today and made a short video. I can keep the sub low in the water without making it submerge. This is what I call ramming posture. The next time I take it out I’ll see if I can get a video from the water line as the sub approaches directly. Only trouble is I'd have to get in the water, run the sub and the VCR. The 7 ft. sub is pretty impressive in its ramming posture. One of these days I want to ram a ship and videotape it. Before I do that however, I think I would replace the fiberglass rakers with steel.

Short video of the 4 ft. Jet Nautilus --

http://home.comcast.net/~tyourk/4foot.html
Carcharadon

Postby Captain Nemo » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:24 am

Aaaaaactuallllllyyyyyyy.....the pronounced bow wake washing up over the wheelhouse when running awash in the movie was done by towing the 22 foot waterline trolley version at a good clip across Fox Lake wetset; AND, the waves are largely attributable to a double-barreled "water canon" they had attached to the assembly, aimed to fire backwards over the naviform foredeck and wheelhouse.

We do get a small amount of similar effect when we dive the NAUTILUS MINISUB, but it's not travelling nearly fast enough to produce the extreme effect you see in the movie; and we don't use a water canon, either.

HOWEVER!!! If I ever get around to replacing the E-motor with an engine-driven squirt drive, it might do something pretty close to what is seen in the movie That's at least a few years away though; and actually, it will probably never happen because it would require major surgery on the hull, and after I've gotten the scale exterior detailing finished, I'm not gonna wanna do that.

PR
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Carcharadon » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:02 am

Well as Pat mentions the ramming scenes in the movie are a "special effect". (for the longest time as a little kid I thought it was a real full size sub)

But with only being a very lousy amateur videographer it would be fun to duplicate as much as possible those ramming scenes. To me those are some of the most impressive scenes in the movie. But Pat gave me an idea. I won't say unless it works.
Carcharadon

Postby Scott T » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:08 pm

How about a little special effects of your own and add a pump and water jets to simulate the water coming up. Then you could turn it on at what ever speed you were traveling and get that Oh so cool look.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:53 pm

The sub in the movie had a cool glowing green light shroud around the wheelhouse. According to the dvd, it is created by a row of green lightbulbs placed onto the the upper deck of a BIG model Nautilus (Was it RC?). I agree with trying to make a pump to simulate the effect. Unfortunately, my Nautilus is too small to be able to install such a device........ :( I'll go with the light then.......... :;):
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:53 pm

The sub in the movie had a cool glowing green light shroud around the wheelhouse. According to the dvd, it is created by a row of green lightbulbs placed onto the the upper deck of a BIG model Nautilus (Was it RC?). I agree with trying to make a pump to simulate the effect. Unfortunately, my Nautilus is too small to be able to install such a device........ :( I'll go with the light then.......... :;):

Captain Nemo12

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:55 pm

How did I post two posts the same???? Weirrrrrddddd....... :O

Captain Nemo12

Postby Carcharadon » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:55 pm

The pumps could work. Instead of a round nozzle, used for propulsion etc. a slit or elongated oval on each side could probably work. But I've got another idea to get a curve effect to the split bow wave. And then if that works of course then there's the blue-green iridescent (looks bioluminescent so cool) lights, (and the high pitched sound) etc Could have some fun here.

The info that came with the Disney collectable said the 11 ft weighed 1000 lbs and was powered with 5 car batteries. I guess it was a functional model?? Don't know if it was RC? Probably not??
Carcharadon

Postby Sub culture » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:58 am

Captain Nemo12 wrote:The sub in the movie had a cool glowing green light shroud around the wheelhouse. According to the dvd, it is created by a row of green lightbulbs placed onto the the upper deck of a BIG model Nautilus (Was it RC?). I agree with trying to make a pump to simulate the effect. Unfortunately, my Nautilus is too small to be able to install such a device........ :( I'll go with the light then.......... :;):

How big is your nautilus?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:12 pm

Well, the scale is about 1/144 or 1/115 therefore it measures about 24 inches. About the size of the Graupner Shark........ My first step is getting it ready for sea ASAP, I can think about installing lights after. :)

Captain Nemo12

Postby Wbnemo1 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:11 am

howdy,
If you have modeled the Harper Godd Disney Nautilus and it's 24" long that would make it 1/89 scale.....just a tid bit for anyonje making one...the disney version Harper sub is 2136" long you can figure out any scale using that length...

William
Wbnemo1

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:57 am

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough this time :D. The Nautilus I am making is not the Disney version (although I do find it smaller than the Verne one) it is based based on my own design that I came up two years ago.

I think you meant Harper GOFF :;):

Captain Nemo12

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:35 pm

Here's an interesting tidbit of info for anyone modelling the Disney version.

My own 1:32 scale Nautilus (a fairly accurate representation of the Disney version) experiences a common occurance with these models... It will dive when any excessive speed is achieved.

Hydodynamic forces actually suck the model downwards, nose-first without any additional input from dive planes or ballast systems. It makes for an exceptional looking gradual dive, so long as your prop doesn't break the surface and lose power.

I'm trying to overcome this problem by playing with several ideas including an adjustable (and removeable) propellor shroud. I'll let everyone know if this helps the problem.

A full write-up on my project can be found on My Webpage.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Television and Movie Submarines