Good Morning Guys!
I had a lot to get done yesterday so the only modeling time could squeeze in was the late night version. I started by slicing the old hatches off of the top of the fairwater, and putting the new hatch without the pivoting guides in their place.
This is when the AR kicked in. If you look at the image above, you can see that where I have the hatch on the deck doesn’t match the trunk below. So I investigated the situation a little farther and went to the plans and copied the outline of the hatch/trunk to the model as seen in purple in the image below. The red line is the centerline of the trunk.
I know this would drive me crazy if I didn’t fix it, so I did, starting with copying everything to the side to leave the original alone, in case it didn’t go as planned.
The image below shows the area in wireframe looking at the bottom. The smaller red circle surrounds the trunk, the larger one is essentially along the inner face of the bulkhead.
I trimmed these circles, joined the left over bits and made a polyline out of them…
…Which I extruded to the underside of the deck.
Next, I copied it all to the side (up in the image)…
Subtracted the extrusion from the part on the bottom and did the intersect command for the one on top.
Notice in the previous image, that on the top part, the resulting trunk (blue) does not line up with the hatch (magenta). To fix this I moved it and rotated to “match the hatch”.
At this point I moved it back into the lower part using the guideline (yellow) I created for reference.
I think the result looks much better an I am glad that I took the time to do it.
After this slight diversion, I returned to my original mission, replacing the hatches, and sliced Part 9 along the deck to remove the aft hatch. In the process I sliced everything else off too (as seen below in yellow)…
…So I separated the parts and reattached all but the hatch to the deck.
The hatch I deleted.
Next, I copied the new hatch with the pivoting guide in place.
For some reason, part of the spring hinge was protruding from the new hatch, so I extruded a rectangle…
…And subtracted it before joining the new hatch to the deck.
I did the aft torpedo loading hatch next, starting by slicing the part along the lower face of the hatch.
To make it easier to see what I was doing, I put the main part on a temporary layer that I turned off. I then drew a circle to match the opening I made before and drew a line straight up to the deck (red line barely visible in mage below)…
…And extruded the circle up along the red line…
…And subtracted it.
Now I was ready for the hatch, so I copied it in place…
…and joined the parts back to the main part.
The image below shows the completed Part 9, except for the “wooden deck” I plan to add later.
At this point I turned to the covered hatches. This was made more difficult by the fact that I had joined the hatch to the cover in my template. Some dicing and slicing and rejoining followed by copying the new hatch without the pivoting guide in place and joining it to the cover produced the hatch seen in the images below.
Starting with the aft covered hatch…
I deleted the existing hatch…
…And replaced it with the new one…
…Which you can see was out of alignment with the deck so I rotated it into position.
I did the same thing for the covered hatch forward, aft of the fairwater.
The next two images show the aft parts behind the fairwater. These parts are now completed except for the deck (I think.)
Well, I’ve burned through all my midnight oil. It’s time for some sleep.