Hi Guys and thanks Tom!
I was thinking that the MH stood for manhole, but couldn’t come up with Dive Plane. You learn something every day.
Also I thought that the wooden slide might be a torpedo loading skid, but it seems so bulky and cumbersome. The one on Batfish (as currently displayed) is metal, with wooden slats on the underside when in the deployed position. It looks to me like, when not in use, it would rotate about the hinge at the bottom to be flat with the surface, blending in with the wooden deck. The one I referred to looked too big for that. At some point did they abandon the ship stowed version for large ones kept in port since that’s where they would load torpedos?
Anyway, looking at pictures of a ship you are trying to model is always an experience; at least I have found it to be so. I have perhaps said this before, but it never ceases to amaze me how different ships of the same class are and how much they change over time. While looking at a bazillion pictures last night, trying to find out what the aft torpedo loading hatch looked like, I noticed how different the wooden decks were from ship to ship. Not so much the material used, I couldn’t tell that from the pictures, but the extent of the deck that it covered. I was looking at this because I am considering installing “wooden” decks. But more on that later.
The other thing I noticed, this time from the Compartment Access plans, is that I had missed an access hatch on the forward gun platform (center of the image below).
So, I added it last night before turning in.
This evening, I continued thinking about the torpedo loading hatch so I import the Compartment Access plans into AutoCad and scaled them to size.
I then copied it up out of the way, cropped it to show just the Main Deck plan view, aligned it with the coordinate system and the existing tracings from the Deck plans. I traced the Torpedo Deck Skid outline. It looks offset in the image below because the plans are warped, but it is centered on the centerline.
I cropped the plans I had copied, to include just the profile view, and traced the outline of the loading hatch and drew a centerline perpendicular to the end.
I then moved and reoriented my coordinate system and copied the hatch I have been using in position.
Next, I drew a circle at the base of the hatch and another larger one at the other end of the traced trunk…
…And lofted them.
Then I sliced it, using my trunk tracings as the slice line. Note, the green line is the deck level.
At this point I copied it over to the plan view…
…And drew a 0.005” radius circle on the end of the tracing of the deck skid and extruded it along that tracing.
Just for the heck of it, to see what it would look like, I copied the loading hatch and deck skid parts to the model, and was pleasantly surprised how it looked.
Before proceeding further, I saved the drawing, and then resaved it as a new file, in case it didn’t turn out as hoped. I then extruded an ellipse through the deck…
…And subtracted it…
…Creating a nice recess around the hatch.
I then sliced the excess protruding from underneath the deck.
I then subtracted the extruded deck skid lines from both of the hull parts it intersected. The remaining images show my first stab at it from different angles. Note the slight variation in color between the two hull parts in the first image. I decided to start doing this to make it easier to decipher where one part stops and another one begins.
I must say that I am both surprised and happy with the way it turned out, so unless Scott has a picture of one that shows mine to be way wrong, I will go with what I have.