Banner Ad 1

west coast fun run 2013

Western US Coast Local Chapter - Mare Island

west coast fun run 2013

Postby tsenecal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Pardon my intrusion, but does anybody at the MI subron have official dates for the 2013 west coast fun run? I would like to try to get there this year, but have no idea when it is scheduled.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Re: west coast fun run 2013

Postby salmon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:56 pm

October 26th and 27th, I believe. Tina and I are trying to juggle things to make it happen for us.
Where are reasonable hotels? Is it near a BART station or what suggestions do ya'll have?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Tom, I am not sure where it is even being held. I understand it is one of the long standing events that the subcommittee has on an annual basis, but there isn't any info anywhere that officially promotes this event. I have been trying to go to this now for several years, and invariably i find out about it because somebody posts photos from the event on one of the other forums AFTER the event is over. I wish this was more actively promoted prior to the event. with info like what you and i are asking about... dates, locations, hotels, etc.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Tim,

I will find out for you asap.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 pm

While the date has moved around a bit, this event has been held at the same place for at least 13 years straight: Golden Gate Park in San Francisco -- specifically at the flycasting ponds. It will be held there again this year.

The SCR publishes a full page ad for the run every year prior to the event. Porteous makes these up so he should have the info as we are closing in on the next issue. I will add it to our website events section once I have the facts.

Event promotion is something the SubCommittee supports enthusiastically. Local chapters can have info articles (before and after the event) and full page ads in the SCR, banner ads on the site, listings in the events section of the website, and can post in the events section of the message boards, all free of charge. But we need the info and images from the chapter/event coordinators to make it happen. All groups planning events are encouraged to take advantage of these promotional opportunities.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Straight from the mouth of Tom Anderson, the event director.

October 27-28

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks Matt for getting the dates. Typical, I was one day short.....What about recommended hotels or accommodations?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Tom,

I am not a good reference for that! Its been 20 yrs since I've been back to the SF bay area.

Ping Tom Anderson. I know he will be very happy to answer any questions you might have.

The venue is incredible!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Jeff Porteous travels there from LA every year. He has had many trials and errors finding the best places to crash. He would be an excellent source for lodging advise as well.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Hi Salmon and Tsenecal!

First of all, Matt, Tom A. must have looked askance at his calendar: it's not on Sunday and Monday, but Saturday and Sunday, October 26 and 27. Let there be no mistake about this: show up Monday and no one will be there!

Background: the event has occasionally occurred in September, but usually takes place in October. Specific weekends change year-to-year because we are at the scheduling mercy of the anglers who run the fly casting ponds through their connections with the city Parks people. I'm not complaining, just explaining. This year we've been granted the weekend at the end of the month to run our boats; most years it's a middle-of-the-month weekend, sometimes near the start. Just depends on how the die is cast.

There is no "official" hotel for the event—or at least there hasn't been for years—since most participants are local and don't need one. In some cases out-of-towners traditionally stay the weekend with in-town sub buddies. So come, make a friend, and perhaps have a place to stay next year! There are some hotels not far from the site, but as for myself, I've traditionally stayed at the La Quinta (that's Spanish for "Next to Denny's"—thank you, Julie Crozier) near the airport because their rates are reasonable (SanFran can be expensive in the fall, typically their tourist season), I earn points through their reward program, and my trusty Saturn steed knows the way by herself since we've made the annual trip so many times now.

I'm surprised and concerned to learn that some have had trouble getting info. on this terrific annual event. There's always a full-page ad about it, with dates, in the summer and/or fall issue of the SCR; usually a banner ad with dates on the SC site as well; and an event listing also with dates in the forum (at least most years) too. Not to mention lengthy post-event coverage by yours truly—with my name and others clearly listed—in the December SCR, which could clue potential next-year attendees who to contact for information.

Be that as it may, this truly a wonderful boat running venue—semi-secluded, beautiful and quiet, with clear water about 4.5 feet deep max., permitting rescue of wayward boats via waders or a swim. And the legendary "launching well" can't be beat for patrol starts and recoveries.

Hope to see anyone reading this out there this year!

Best,
Jeff Porteous

P.S. No offense intended to SanFran in general, but it's probably best to avoid "the Mission District" as a potential lodging area. I learned this the hard way during my first attendance many years back...
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 pm

salmon wrote:October 26th and 27th, I believe. Tina and I are trying to juggle things to make it happen for us.
Where are reasonable hotels? Is it near a BART station or what suggestions do ya'll have?

You can stay Roadway Inn, Alameda. Rooms are around $65.00@night and a bus stop is in front that can take you to the Bart Station in Oakland.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 pm

My son lives in The Mission and it is not a bad place, now. A lot of the riffraff have moved on.
Alameda is a beautiful island right next to the San Francisco Bay and restaurants and lodging are reasonable. There are things to see, as well. The Alameda Naval Museum and the USS Hornet are great places to visit.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby DMarquez3014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi Giovanni,

Yes the San Francisco Fun Run Sub Regatta will be held on October 26th and 27th. See you there! :D

DMarquez3014
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm

See you there Dave.
I will bring my USS Holland.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:50 am

Hey guys,

Here's another attempt at posting the Fun Run flier Dave was trying to provide a couple of entries above. Let's see if it works this time. If not, feel free to contact me and I'll e-send you a .pdf version. You might consider printing out whatever version works for you and posting it at your local hobby shop. (This flier will also appear as an ad in the next SCR.)

Best,
JeffP

Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to SubComMI