Banner Ad 1

no more Sombra Labs Receivers

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: no more Sombra Labs Receivers

Postby Thor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Kevin,

I greatly appreciate and value your input. I have great respect for you and your professional opinion. Thanks very much for your kind response!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Matt,

I did not take your statement to mean anything other than Futaba is your preference. I have not used Futaba for years (my stock is too old for current use, but Futaba was always top shelf to me). Currently I prefer Sombra Labs, but I used the wFly receiver (that came with my TX) in my Type XXIII because i needed to test it out due to the discontinuing of SL-8. It has worked great so far. I still would prefer to use SL-8 because no crystals are needed. If wFly came out with a model like that, I would sing its praises.

The used market is only going to be around for so long (and that could be for years, but it is a dead road eventually). We need to look a little more into the future and buddy up to a manufacturer that will build for us. This will mean future advancements in both TX and RX or we can get used to 2.4Ghz and keep our antennae above the surface like the salt water guys do!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks, Tom! I agree with you, but I seriously doubt that we have enough numbers to keep the 75 MHz frequency alive. As I said, I hope I am wrong. We need to consider alternatives as a backup. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, as it goes....

We need a backup plan and alternatives. I know this is not a pleasant discussion, but it need not devolve into an argument.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:12 am

Aside from a rocky start, this is a really good discussion. Thor you are so correct we need a plan, so I am unclear what direction that looks like.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 am

Tom,

That makes two of us! We will come up with alternatives. With the brains we have in this group, I have no doubts. We just need to stay at it.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

I think with the number of used equipment of your choice out there.
And other radios still being made. We should be good for the foreseeable future.
But nothing lasts forever.
Jeff and I have become the depository for Multiplex radios, and Kevin Mac, and Don O for Futaba 9Z's.

As much as I love my Multiplex its hard to beat the bang for the buck of the 9Z.
You can get them for chump change compared to the cost new and it will do 2.4- 75- 72- and 50 MHZ with only a plug in deck change.
Granted it will probably weigh more than your submarine. :mrgreen: Sorry Don. :roll:
But that is why they invented neck straps.
The best advice I have weather it be a new or used system is buy two.
I bought 5 but I am crazy. :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Well, I do have a bit of good news. The new 8-10 Channel Futaba, JR, and Airtronics radios, including the versions that have the synth module and are on 2.4 GHZ, can easily be converted to 75 Mhz for our use. I talked to Futaba, and JR today, as well as Tony, the Tech engineer, at Radio South. I am very relieved. All said the same thing, as long as the synth module is utilized for frequency control, they can be converted. The cost is $40-$50 depending upon who you hire to perform the modifications. And, yes, boys and girls it is legal. Futaba passed along that their Futaba 8-10 channel with are the most popular radio they sell on the high end and they have no plans on ceasing production. :D
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Matt- how much are those radios before the frequency change? Just curious. 8-10 channels leaves room for extra goodies.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 pm

They are not cheap, Sam! $550.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Thor wrote:They are not cheap, Sam! $550.

ouch.
that hurts.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Matt,

Are they saying that someone can do an actual conversion of the existing Rf module or that the module is replaced with the 75MHz module?

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Bigdave wrote:I think with the number of used equipment of your choice out there.
And other radios still being made. We should be good for the foreseeable future.
But nothing lasts forever.
Jeff and I have become the depository for Multiplex radios, and Kevin Mac, and Don O for Futaba 9Z's.

Yes, I have acquired something like 6 spare, converted Multiple Rf daughter cards. I picked them up for very little money (maybe $20 each, including shipping). The conversion cost was only $5.00!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 pm

I had 6 EVO's at one time.
Now only 4.
Plus the two Profi's.
What can I say, I love Multiplex. :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Jeff,

I was told to send the receiver and the RF module off to them and they can convert it to 75 Mhz

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 pm

actually,

times for me have been bountiful. with flyers dropping their "older" gadgets for the 2.4ghz stuff, i have been able to buy up literally DOZENS of used sombra labs receivers from them for an average price of $35 for the shadow 3 receivers, and $45 for the SL-8s. I have 11 of the shadow 3s, 11 of the SL-8s, 2 lepton 6s, as well as 8 of the programmers. in addition to that, i have 5 futaba receivers, and 2 novak xxtras. I too have standardized on futaba, i have 3 of their 9cap supers.

the shadow 3s are the immediate predecessors to the SL-8s, and have the same programability for failsafe and synthesized frequencies, but i have found that the ability to ignore outside interference is better with the newer SL-8 model. the shadow 3 is physically smaller than the SL-8, but is "only" a seven channel receiver.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler