Good Afternoon Everybody!
As I said I was planning in my last post, the next thing I added to Batfish was the large pipe that comes out of the deck and enters the fairwater near the aft end on the port side. (I still don’t know what it is.) The pipe is shown again in the picture below.
I didn’t take any measurements when I was at Batfish, so I don’t know what size the pipe is. To size it, I used the wooden deck slats. The pipe cuts through 6 of them, and there are 19 or 20 slats from the center to the outer edge of the fairwater. So, I drew a line from the center to the fairwater edge and scaled it to 30% and used this dimension for the diameter of the circle that I drew on the deck in the approximate position of where the pipe enters (or comes out of) the deck. I then drew a line at 70 degrees from horizontal from the center of the circle up into the fairwater.
Next, I copied the circle to the end of the line I just drew and rotated it 20 degrees to be perpendicular to the line. The image below shows it in wireframe visual style…
…And this image shows it in 3D conceptual visual style.
Since my line wasn’t long enough, I extended it further and extruded it down into the deck and rotated the top 5 degrees to the starboard side.
To make the cut out for the pipe, I reoriented my coordinate system to match the end section of the fairwater and drew a rectangle in the approximate location of the cutout as seen in the picture. The top isn’t square in the picture though, so I drew a short line up from the center and drew a polyline connecting the upper corners of the rectangle and the end of the center line, sliced the rectangle and joined the new polyline to the remaining parts of the rectangle.
I then filleted the upper corners (including the center one) at 0.04”.
The cutout isn’t straight. It is slanted, so I rotated the polyline to match the picture…
…Extruded it into the fairwater…
…And subtracted it.
Next I added the flange and one of the nuts and bolts on the flange.
I then did a polar array to make 18 nut/bolt sets. I don’t know how many there actually are, but the spacing looks good at 18 (20 was too many), so that’s how many I used.
Next, I exploded the array and joined the nuts, bolts and flange to the pipe.
At this point I prepared to slice off the bottom of the pipe at deck level by copying the hull section to the side.
Then, I subtracted the hull from the pipe.
To complete it, I joined it to the fairwater and recolored it gray.