It’s good to hear from everybody. Tom, I have found computers in general to be a love/hate relationship. They have opened uncountable doors, but they have also added burdens in our lives we didn’t use to have. And they are great when they work, but they have also provided me with a lot of aggravation that I could have done without.
I thin 3D printers will follow more the path of large scale plotters than of printers. Everybody prints text so printers were sure to be a big hit. A lot of people print color pictures, so color printers were also sure to be a big hit. Not as many need large scale printers, but enough do, so that they are in practically every print shop, and in specialty offices like engineers and architects. 3D printers are in the same boat. The difference between 3D printers and plotters is that a real market could be developed for 3D printers. That isn’t the case for plotters.
But when I was punching computer punch cards to do a simple pipe flow velocity profile in the early 80’s, the thought of an I-phone was pure science fiction. I never would have thought that they would really exist. So who knows.
In any case, I still think this link is to the most creative use I have seen for 3D printing.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... BA&dur=152
Sorry to do it to you Scott!
As you can tell, I’m having a lot of fun with it, except that, as I said in my last post, I’m not getting the excellent feedback like you guys on this site have provided. I even e-mailed the Bertholf site and have yet to hear anything. Maybe CG’ers like to keep things close to the vest.
Anyway, I think you will like my next project for Pavel, when I finish Bertholf, too. (Not that I’m going to finish anytime soon).
And Tom D, what can I say? You’ve schooled me on submarines and on modeling. It only seems appropriate that you school me in microbiology too. Perhaps I should start reporting my dimensions in e coli.
Anyway, in my last post I mentioned that I mentioned I was expecting some test pieces, well they arrived today. The image below is a Legend for the part, showing the sizes of the various features I wanted to test.
Pavel printed the piece using two different materials, one marked XHD (Extra High Density?), the other marked UHD (Ultra High Density?)
Here’s the XHD piece as I received it…
…And here’s the piece marked UHD.
As you can see, the XHD came out better than the UHD. Here are some more pictures of the XHD as I received it.
I sprayed them both with primer after I took these pictures. Here’s what the pieces looked like with one coat of Tamiya (poorly spraying) primer on them. I only took one picture of the UHD, because the quality is poor compared to the XHD. It looks though like something got out of alignment in printing, and the poor quality might not have anything to do with the material, but the way it is the XHD is superior so all but the second photo below are of the XHD piece.
Note: This picture is NOT out of focus.
The smallest 0.25” tall post in the foreground of the next two pictures has a radius of 0.003” (that's 38 e-coli
), same with the holes.
Etched lines into the surface - Extruded circles (cylinders) do a better job than extruded rectangles (skinny blocks). The 0.004” etched lines didn’t print at all. From 0.005” up did great.
Raised lines on the surface - As with the etched lines, the 0.004” raised lines didn’t print. Above 0.005”, both extruded circles (cylinders) and extruded rectangles (skinny blocks) worked well so either one could be used effectively.
Surface depressions (for PE placement, female connections or effect) – Only the largest circles even show up at 0.003” depth, and only marginally better at 0.005”. Circles with a radius of 0.0075” or larger etched in 0.0075” or more came out good. Surprisingly, all sizes drilled through nicely, but they look cleaner from 0.0075” radius and up.
Surface projections (male connections, posts, or for effect) – As with surface depressions, only the largest circles show up at 0.003” depth, and they are only marginally better at 0.005”, although in some cases 0.005” protrusions for larger objects would be useful. All protrusions from 0.0075” an up came out nicely. Another surprise to me was that all of the 0.25” protrusions printed nicely, including the 0.003” radius. Even more surprisingly, I flicked it with my finger a few times and it didn’t break. Then I grabbed a paint brush and pretended to paint it and it handled that fine too. It flexed, but didn’t break.
So, 0.0075” (95 e-coli
) seems like the magic number. This corresponds to 2.6” at 1/350 scale and 5.3” at 1/700 scale. Any depression larger than that and protruding or etched into the surface by that amount or more, will work fine. Smaller sizes can be used, but care is needed when using them. At the extreme 0.003” isn’t good for much, and yet small 0.003” (~1” at 1/350 scale, ~2” at 1/700 Scale) holes or 0.003” posts could be made.
The second test piece is really 2 pieces, to test various connection types that I have been using without really knowing if they will work or not. I’ll post pix when I get them.
Now for the update portion of this update, which isn’t much. My buddy texted me that the base is completed. I haven’t seen it yet and don’t know when I get it, but you know I will post pictures when I get it. There isn’t much hurry though because I talked to Sherry at the family (the patriarch was one of my football coaches in high school) owned trophy shop that is making my plaques, and they are all taking a family trip in the form of a week-long Alaskan cruise, and she didn’t know if she would finish before she leaves. I told her not to worry about it and have fun, and that I was jealous, so I expect I won’t see them until the first of August. I guess that is a good thing. The sooner I finish the model the sooner I have to face parting with it.
A more significant Update will follow shortly.