Banner Ad 1

1/144 Scale USS Batfish (SS310)

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/144 Scale USS Batfish (SS310)

Postby salmon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 am

Glad to see you back on this!

The pipe going up, I assumed it was either air intake for engines or a passage for moving ammo.

The sloping sheet is for loading torpedoes and was stowed.

The vertical pipe is missing the horizontal piece of the Toroidal Hydrophone. You can see it here:

The escape buoy is late war or post war addition.
Here is a photo credited to the Batfish, clearly the raised escape was not there

As another example, the USS Burrfish shows changes
Here is a war time photo

Here is a post war photo early 50s

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:47 am

And I am glad to be back on it Tom. I’m having fun building Bertholf, but it is nice to post questions and actually receive a reply. I’m getting squat from the Bertholf posts to the point that I think I’m wasting my time posting and considering not posting. As I have said before, I miss you guys!

Thanks for the pix and guidance. They are mucho appreciated!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:48 pm

UPDATE 69

Good Afternoon Everybody!

As I said I was planning in my last post, the next thing I added to Batfish was the large pipe that comes out of the deck and enters the fairwater near the aft end on the port side. (I still don’t know what it is.) The pipe is shown again in the picture below.

I didn’t take any measurements when I was at Batfish, so I don’t know what size the pipe is. To size it, I used the wooden deck slats. The pipe cuts through 6 of them, and there are 19 or 20 slats from the center to the outer edge of the fairwater. So, I drew a line from the center to the fairwater edge and scaled it to 30% and used this dimension for the diameter of the circle that I drew on the deck in the approximate position of where the pipe enters (or comes out of) the deck. I then drew a line at 70 degrees from horizontal from the center of the circle up into the fairwater.

Next, I copied the circle to the end of the line I just drew and rotated it 20 degrees to be perpendicular to the line. The image below shows it in wireframe visual style…

…And this image shows it in 3D conceptual visual style.

Since my line wasn’t long enough, I extended it further and extruded it down into the deck and rotated the top 5 degrees to the starboard side.

To make the cut out for the pipe, I reoriented my coordinate system to match the end section of the fairwater and drew a rectangle in the approximate location of the cutout as seen in the picture. The top isn’t square in the picture though, so I drew a short line up from the center and drew a polyline connecting the upper corners of the rectangle and the end of the center line, sliced the rectangle and joined the new polyline to the remaining parts of the rectangle.

I then filleted the upper corners (including the center one) at 0.04”.

The cutout isn’t straight. It is slanted, so I rotated the polyline to match the picture…

…Extruded it into the fairwater…

…And subtracted it.

Next I added the flange and one of the nuts and bolts on the flange.

I then did a polar array to make 18 nut/bolt sets. I don’t know how many there actually are, but the spacing looks good at 18 (20 was too many), so that’s how many I used.

Next, I exploded the array and joined the nuts, bolts and flange to the pipe.

At this point I prepared to slice off the bottom of the pipe at deck level by copying the hull section to the side.

Then, I subtracted the hull from the pipe.

To complete it, I joined it to the fairwater and recolored it gray.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 pm

I continued researching and it might be the battery vent, the air intakes are further in.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 am

That makes since Tom.

It looks like a vent pipe and I could see the pipe running aft under the wooden deck slats. I should have followed it to see where it goes, but I'll bet it goes to the battery compartment.

THANKS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:44 am

From what I can figure out it's the ships ventilation induction line. I can email you the pages I have to show this or better yet look here.
http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/chap7.htm#7A
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Scott T » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:51 am

Glad you finally visited the Batfish. I spent some hours there the fourth of July week looking
the Batfish over. You may have noticed they removed the dirt around the rudder and stern
dive planes. I asked the museum operator what they where doing and he told me they intended
to dig a trench along the side of the boat on one side so the boat would settle and remove the
list/slant to port. Photo from Jim's post on Batfish/SubmarineMuseum.OGR Forum.http://www.submarinemuseums.org/forum/index.php?topic=1217.0
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Guys!

Thanks a lot for clearing that up Don! And thanks for the link! It had a link to the best schematic of fleet subs I have seen. As you said, the ship’s ventilation induction line is what it is, as seen in red in the schematic.

You bet I noticed that they had exposed the dive planes and rudder. I thought they were going to build a little enclave for it. I didn’t realize that they are trying to shift its position. That sounds like a dicey proposition to me. I hope they are getting soil engineers to help them.

Anyway, it looks like they have done more digging around the aft end since you were there, as you can now see the all of the rudder and dive planes. They don’t seem to have started digging the longitudinal trench for the settling attempt.

It would be cool if they could put screws and shafts on her.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 am

UPDATE 70

Good Morning Guys!

I didn’t get as much modeling done as I had hoped this weekend, but I didn’t get skunked. Looking at some of the pictures I took I noticed that the access hatch I had previously made needed revisiting. Below is a picture of the aft hatch I took while on Batfish…

…And here is an image of the one I had designed.

It wasn’t bad, but needed a little sprucing up. The first thing I did was add the spring to the hinge. I did this using a lot of 0.01” diameter circles extruded around the existing hinge.

I then extruded 2 of the inner circles to toward the center of the hatch.

Next I added what appears to be a handle, seen first in Realistic Visual Style…

…Then in Conceptual Visual Style.

The new stuff I added was then copied to the hatch on the bridge deck.

The new components were then joined to the rest of the part (Part 11 – Fairwater).

The new components were next added to the hatch part for use in other locations on the ship.

I perhaps should have made it have a little more curvature than I had done, but I decided not to, at least for the time being.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:21 pm

UPDATE 71

Hello Again Guys!

I don’t have any new construction to report yet, but last night I decided to join all of the components in one drawing again. This took FOREVER! The file is 81.1 MB and it really bogged down my computer as I copied the various parts. Anyway, here is what it currently looks like. Enjoy!

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Man that is looking good. Since I have a model of a 1/72 gato revell model it makes me
wonder what it would cost to print the bridge and perisope shears in 1/72 scale?
Could somebody with the 3D model files maybe ask that question? Please and thank you.

Doing great Russ!
Scott T

Iron Bottom Sound has this that is similar.
Short Balo version 8
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Off the top of my head Scott, I would say a little under $100, but I will look into it. Tom was looking into the same thing earlier. The shears would be easy to scale up. I could just double their size (I think). The bridge might be a little different, because if I doubled it in size, the bulkheads would be twice as thick as they could be, since I sized them as small as I could and yet still be strong enough to survive assembly at 144 scale.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 pm

The top of my head wasn’t too far off for the “Frosted Ultra Detail” ($90), which I think you would need to get to do the detailing. If you can go with “White Strong & Flexible” the prices are about 1/3 of that.

Here are clips from Shapeways showing the cost of the parts if made in “White Strong & Flexible”. Multiply it by 3 and you will be slightly on the high side if you print with “Frosted Ultra Detail”.

I have no idea how they would print, or even if they would print. If you are interested in trying it Scott, I can make it accessible and you can order it and see how it turns out. They may do alright, if Shapeways can even print them. As you know from my posts, I have gotten to this stage before, only to receive an e-mail after I order them, telling me that they can’t be printed. Why they provide a price if it can’t be printed, I don’t know.

If Shapeways can’t print them click2detail prints great part detail, even at 1/350 scale, at about the same cost as Shapeways “Frosted Ultra Detail”.

Good luck with it and keep me posted on what you do!

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey that was quick. Funny how the least detailed piece cost the most. (tower base)
Thanks alot for checking. Now I will have to think about this and that could take a
while for me.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 pm

RDutnell,

Your builds have kept me captivated for some time now, your work is amazing!

It's inspired me to start a similar virtual build, I've recently gotten access to solidworks through my job.

Thanks for the posts and keep up the good work!

Dave
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads