Banner Ad 1

SC Mare Island at Santa Clara County Model Aviation Airshow

Western US Coast Local Chapter - Mare Island

SC Mare Island at Santa Clara County Model Aviation Airshow

Postby DMarquez3014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi There,

Well we have wrapped up another sucessful return visit to the Santa Clara Model Model Aviation Airshow on Saturday July 6th, at the Tomcat model aviation sky park in Morgan Hill CA. Mr. Mark Jones(aka.the Small sub guy) along with my self in attendence plus a surpries visit by Kenny Johnsen from San Francisco with his new in work Trumpeter Kilo that he brought to show to us. We set up our tent & banner & tables and the pool for the r/c subs for the kids to play with around 8AM. Our table was impressive, we had quite a crowd and were kept busy answering questions from the attendees all day and handed out SubCommittee literature until we ran out of them. I brought my fleet that included the Engel SSBN Lafayette,DE Skipjack my old Smallworld Blueback and Trumpeture Seawolf and recently completed Bronco 1/35 Seehund. Mark brought his Revell Gato, Smallworld Kilo,Revell Type VIIC that is in work and his FS1.

The kids played with the mini-subs and ran them hard until all the batteries ran dry. There was a couple of mishaps with the inflatable pool though when some courious or mischiefous kids popped open the air valves letting the air out causing the water to spill out of the deflating pool temporaraly flooding the area. Mr Jones had to re inflate and filled the pool twice and sat down in chair next to the valves to keep the kid from deflating the pool again. One of the other exhibitors were not exactly to happy about the water running out but understood that accidents do happen. I demo the Seawolf static diving function with the snort in the pool, it is really to bad we don't have a bigger pool to really demo the boats properly. I handed the transmiter off to some of the attendees and showed them how to use the functions, they thought it was cool.

The Western Warship Combat Group also made another returned visit to the show. I spoke the Mr Rob Wood about us attending next years Markers Faire in San Mateo to set up a display booth and demo the boats in their pond in between their battles. Mark and I are looking forward to attending and will see if others MI members will be interested in attending too..
We eventualy wraped up the day around 4PM and pack everything away and were out by 5PM. Mr Jones planned to returned that Sunday to watch the airshow. We look forward to making a return visit at next years show.

Our SubCommitte display booth at the SCCMA Show.
Table top display.
A pool side view at the SCCMA Show.
Mark and Kenny check their messages.
Visitors stopped by to join in the fun at the pool.
All day non stop action at pool.
A view of both the booth and pool.
Last edited by DMarquez3014 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMarquez3014
SubCommittee Member

Re: SC Mare Island at Santa Clara County Model Aviation Airshow

Postby mar7ck » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Hey Dave,

It was a pleasure to work with you again at the Model Aviation Airshow.
Thanx for making the long commute From Sac.
Next time I will remember to bring a camera and take pictures of the crowd at our booth.
Also a pleasant surprise to see Kenny and his 1/144 scale Kilo project.
Hope to see this finished Kilo at the Sub Regatta.
Mar7ck
The Small Sub Guy
mar7ck
SubCommittee Member

Postby DMarquez3014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey Mark,

Yes' it was great working with you at the SCCMA show again this year, I had a great time, I did not realized how fast the time went by. As we discussed we each need to get more mini-subs for the kids to play with and bring extra batteries too. Maybe we should purchase some extra subs to resell as well since many of the kids parents were asking where to get them? Yeah, it was a great surprise to see Kenny at the show and I really look forward to seeing his Trumpeter Kilo finished and in the water at the Fun Run this year.
Thanks again.
DMarquez3014
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the phone call this afternoon. Yes, I had seen all the above before—sorry about that! You must've sent me the link right after the event because I did check it out, just plum forgot. Kudos and BZ for attending, setting up and working this event...and for your endless SubCommittee enthusiasm overall. Well done—keep it up! This is how new members are (eventually) brought into our ranks.

With my thanks from Southern California,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubComMI